Author Topic: Battery drainage - help needed.  (Read 2629 times)

OfflineHanskloss69

• Home is where the heart is !
    Battery drainage - help needed.
    « on: 2015-06-15 19:27:16 »
    Hello Beemer riders, I need to share my issue with you since is driving me crazy and my local dealer couldn't help. Bike is from 2012, K1600GTL, after software update and and switches replacement on a handle bar, I start experiencing battery drainage to the point that after few days 3-4 I can't start it without recharging battery. After five days voltage drop to 6.5vdc, tree days to 10vdc. No alarm used, keys out, nav removed. No external accessories attached. Current draw at around .001 Amp when all is off. Bike seat at local dealer for a week- no issues found:(, he said that all is in a spec and sends me a way... Noticed, over the weekend, that coolant was way below low level. Fill it up.
    I schedule another service with different dealer but it's going to be in July and a lot further from my home. I did buy a new battery but it is a same think; battery being slowly drained.

Any help and/or suggestions are welcome. I'm handy with tools and elec multimeter but I'm not familiar with automotive equipment. :)

Big trip is coming up and I'm afraid that I need to take few tools and battery charger with me.

Hans

Hans

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
    • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
      • Homepage
    Re: Battery drainage - help needed.
    « Reply #1 on: 2015-06-15 19:46:01 »
    Bike is from 2012, K1600GTL, after software update and and switches replacement on a handle bar,

Well - the battery should not be drained from a .001 Amp current draw - that's for sure.   16Ah / 0.001 = 600 days

Two things come to mind.

First - do you have a GPS mounted ?  . I found that the charging of a ded GPS battery could fool the bike computer to stay on - and that would drain the battery in 1..2 days.

Second - a fault in the software upgrade, that makes the on-board computer to stay powered on. Do you have anything connected to the power output connectors ?

STeinar
    ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      « Reply #2 on: 2015-06-15 20:53:43 »
      Obviously something is draining the battery so the 0.001 Amp drainage can't be right as Steinar said.
      Did you try disconnecting the battery and check what the voltage does after a few days?
      I first suspected a faulty battery but you stated you already bought a new one with the same result.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineHanskloss69

« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-15 21:11:15 »
        Thank you  for a quick reply!

GPS is removed, no external accessory are attached. New battery installed with a same symptoms. After 5 days battery droop to around 6VDC, after 3 days battery was at around 10VDc, i couldn't start a bike. I hook up multimeter and make obserwation for about 1hr or so with 0.001Amp draw.

What other symptoms of bad software update can occur or how I can verify what software is installed? Boy o boy, software issues could be tricky to troubleshoot.
        Hans

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2015-06-16 03:11:52 »
          I have a 2012 GTL and most recently had the current BMW software updated.  No issues at all.  I also had all new switches installed per the most recent BMW recall.  I bet if you had the GS-911 wifi it would lead you to the correct diagnosis.  I suspect a loose or dirty battery connection can drain power.  Did you clean the metal battery post and battery wire connector with a wire brush?  Do you have an aftermarket coms system installed?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
            « Reply #5 on: 2015-06-17 15:52:52 »
            I had the same problem on a 2014 Exclusive.  Battery kept going down and eventually totally flat when I left it for 2 weeks.  The dealer swapped the battery twice thinking that was faulty.  It turned out to be a faulty control unit that would turn off when you switched off but sometimes stayed on.  The fault was discovered after I had swapped the bike so I know no more details.

OfflineHanskloss69

« Reply #6 on: 2015-06-18 17:48:35 »
              Unfortunately, I am out of warranty and I am seriously considering to purchase GS911- WIFi tool. I need to research that a little bit more and cost $$$   ;) !

I just come back home after 3 days and a first thing I did, was to check battery voltage. Battery was fully charged on Sunday reading 12.74VDC and today a same reading! No battery draw?! Three things I did on Sunday: top a coolant (empty),disconnected seat heater and pull USB memory stick out (mp3 music player). Not sure if any of those 3 was a reason for a battery drainage. Or there is something "else" randomly and not properly shooting down. As RTman mentioned if this is controller some sort (computer perhaps) than I might still random issues but will see what happens. Service schedule for  July 4th. I will keep you all posted what they (if they) will find and I will
              continue to test - for now; seat heater on a table. 

Thanks all for input!
              Ride safely!

Hans
              Hans

Offlinevictoryneal

« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-29 02:40:24 »
                I had the same  battery drain problem after last update if I keep the gps plugged into the accessory outlet it keeps something on the bike on and drains the battery if I unplug it it is fine cost me a new battery to figure this out  .

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                  « Reply #8 on: 2015-06-29 16:28:18 »
                  I had the same  battery drain problem after last update if I keep the gps plugged into the accessory outlet it keeps something on the bike on and drains the battery if I unplug it it is fine cost me a new battery to figure this out  .
                  When you put your bike in for a service next week you should mention the loss of coolant.  It should not do that.  Look for staining around the underneath of the water/oil pump. 

OfflineHanskloss69

« Reply #9 on: 2015-08-28 04:30:44 »
                    Well, after battery replacement, three weeks after, all barttery drainage stop .i am not sure, if battery is to be blame?! all works, for now :)

2.29.2016 update. Beemer lock in in unheated storage in a very cold Illinois. started engine a few times, without any issues. Battery was not removed from a bike nor charged during a winter (end of November until now). Hope that issue is in a past!

Hans.
                    [size=78%] Cheers![/size]
                    [size=78%]
                    [/size]
                    [size=78%]PS[/size]
                    [size=78%]
                    [/size]
                    [size=78%]Daytona Beach next week! ;) [/size]
                    « Last Edit: 2016-03-02 05:00:13 by Hanskloss69 »
                    Hans