Author Topic: Is it me?  (Read 1800 times)

OfflineDeano

Is it me?
    « on: 2015-07-18 23:45:18 »
    I have had my GT (2012 model) for around six weeks now & covered approx 2500mls. I love the thing to bits & Er Indoors has also given it the big thumbs up. There are however some issues which I have still not completely come to grips with, in particular
    1. Upward gear changes demand clear steps in throttle closure, clutch activation & gear selection. In 50yrs of motorcycling I have never had to make such deliberate,separate movements to achieve clean gear shifts without an embarrassing rise in revs as I dip the clutch. Initially I found it difficult to shut the throttle without a corresponding clutch activation, in fear of a promoting a lurch from engine braking, fears which have proved unfounded. Is this a symptom of the 'fly by wire' system?
    2. There seems to be a heck of a lot of backlash in the transmission. I can 'ride round this' by selecting a gear, or two, lower than the engine is happy to accept, particularly at low speeds. All a bit alien when accompanied by the 'click' from the lever when activating the clutch & the pulsing of the lever on overrun - both of which my dealer assures me are normal & are a characteristic of the actuating mechanism.

Is it me or have I bought a pup?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Is it me?
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-07-19 08:50:44 »
      Going up through the gears should be smooth even though you will always hear a click as it changes.  I find it paid to short shift 1 to 2 and preload the lever on the rest.  Lift the clutch and it just dropped in.
      Transmission play at low speed, they all have that.  In heavy slow traffic and in towns, put it in Rain mode.

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-19 14:17:47 »
        Alternatively don't use the clutch on upshifts, it flicks in to gear nicely if you are over 3000rpm. imho

OfflineJim

« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-19 16:01:04 »
          The way I change up gears is not to shut the throttle fully along with not pulling the clutch fully into the handlebars and at the same time change gear swiftly and firmly, on the way back down I blip the throttle as I change gear. Works for me (most of the time). Transmission lash I am afraid they do all have this feature, all I can say is you learn how to control it, but never stop it.
          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineDeano

« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-21 21:21:56 »
            Gentlemen
            My thanks & appreciation for your advice. Getting the hang of things now.
            Reminds me of my 1st BMW, more years ago than I care to recall, when I spent the 1st three months thinking 'What have I done!'
            The K16 - no regrets, none at all. This thing rocks.

Deano

OfflineAlanK

« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-04 12:51:33 »
              No, it is not only you! Have only had my 2012 1600GT for two weeks and the biggest disappointment on the 350 miles journey home from collecting the bike was the transmission backlash. Especially noticeable with slight movements of the throttle (open and closing) which I have not yet found a successful method of minimising. 40+ years of motorcycling ( last 13 years on a variety of shaft drive BMWs) and have never experienced anything like it. Extremely disappointing on what was BMWs top of the range bike.  Previous 1300GT was far better in that area. Have spoken to the service manager at the dealership and he said that they all did it due to the massive amount of power they produce (the 1300GT produced more?). I brought up the subject of  what could be done and he said nothing would cure it, even one of the later gearboxes would become "clonkey" when 8k + miles come up. Don't know if what he said was true or not but I have some small comfort in that I have a 12 month BMW warranty (plus a further 12 months negotiated). The bike has only done 7k miles and I have a two up trip to Spain and Portugal in six weeks time so it will be interesting to see if I can minimise the clonk!   
              BMW K1600GTSE (Vermillion red) & Suzuki Vstrom

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-04 14:41:24 »
                Dont change gears under 4k and you'll have no issue
                Took me a while to learn how to ride and get the best out of this bike and yes, that means 1st is very wide but it is so no issue (IMHO)

anyway, thats what works for me and 30,000 smiles later I still love this bike

OfflineDeano

« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-06 13:38:03 »
                  Alan
                  Like you I have been motorcycling for over 40yrs & my last three bikes were BMWs, K100RT, K1200 RS & R1200RT.
                  It took me a trip to Cz Republic, two up, fully loaded & 3000 miles to really get the hang of it.
                  I have never had a bike that devours distance so easily. Even the trip home from the Dover ferry, after two weeks in the saddle & on the downer after the holiday, which usually turns in to a bit of a slog,  was despatched so easily we hardly noticed it.
                  Persevere, it is worth it. In spades.
                  Enjoy
                  Deano

OfflineAlanK

« Reply #8 on: 2015-08-06 19:41:05 »
                    Thanks for the advice and will definitely experiment. I will be putting a few miles on it before we are off to Spain and Portugal so would expect 3-4k miles over the next 7or8 weeks - plenty of time to try different approaches. I do like so much about the bike....!
                    Alan
                    BMW K1600GTSE (Vermillion red) & Suzuki Vstrom