Author Topic: GoPro Mount by Wunderlich  (Read 2187 times)

OfflineKGR

GoPro Mount by Wunderlich
    « on: 2015-07-21 19:14:49 »
    I recently fitted a GoPro mount to the lower screws of my screen.It works well  :)  but the GoPro only lasts for about 20 minutes. :(  I want to have the GoPro powered from the bike.The solution I came up with was to power it through a battery eliminator and then hard wire it into the PDM60. Ist trial was good using the power socket on the RH fairing panel using a din plug adapter, but not so good when leaving the bike unattended. The cable was temporarily passed forwards over the screen then rearwards under the screen to the power socket. I have 2 choices, possibly more if anyone else has overcome this. Firstly, to connect the batt eliminator to a flat ribbon cable then pass this down through the Sat Nav upper panel, and connect to a fixed socket adjacent to the sat nav. The fixed socket would then be hard wired to the PDM60. Or, stick with changing batteries every 20 minutes or so. Any ideas? All inputs welcome.

OfflineThe Wolf

Re: GoPro Mount by Wunderlich
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-07-21 20:44:14 »
      If your Go Pro battery is only lasting 20 minutes it must be goosed. Regarding a power source for it I would try an external battery pack. I'm not sure what their official name is but places like Maplins sell them, I had one linked to mine and the 32gb card would run out at about 7hrs long before the power source did. It's worth a try.

OfflineKGR

« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-22 09:48:05 »
        Hi Wolf,Thanks for the comments. External battery pack would still give the same connectivity problem, where to store it.I've added a link to Nippy Normans What settings did you have on yours? Mine's on HD @ 1080.  Battery is 1600mAh. 32gb card.

Here's the mount
        https://www.nippynormans.com/products/k1600gtk1600gtlk1600-sport/item/wunderlich-go-pro-mount-k1600gtgtlsport-wun-44600-700

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-22 20:28:20 »
          I had mine on 1080 also. I have seen those mounts on Nippy Normans site, the only reason I decided not to purchase one was I envisaged that unless you had the screen at exactly the same height constantly your video footage would one minute be perfectly aligned and then the next minute it would be either all sky or all road.

OfflineDeano

« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-23 19:13:22 »
            Don't know if this will help as I use a Drift Ghost but I have mounted my camera on a suction mount on the fairing, just below the mirror. I was worried that the suction might fail & added a safety lanyard tied to the mirror arm but after over 2000 miles to Cz Rep & back it's still sound. Image is very stable with only very minor shimmy on vertical elements ( lamp posts etc.) No change in image when you adjust the screen & a clear shot with no bits of the bike intruding. If Go Pro offer a similar mount this could be the way to go.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2015-07-23 20:25:57 »
              @Deano,
              What kind of suction mount do you use?
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineDaren

« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-23 22:43:11 »
                @Deano,

Also mount beneath the mirror.  I have the Joby suction mount.  Mounts at various places on the bike, recommended bit of kit from me. 

OfflineDeano

« Reply #7 on: 2015-07-23 23:36:32 »
                  My suction mount is Drift specific, made & marketed by/for them. It has the Drift snap mount moulded in but as this is on the top pivot arm I think it could be swapped for different camera mount, either by simple substitution of the top arm, or with a bit of adaption.

OfflineDeano

« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-24 14:15:22 »
                    @Deano,

See my last post but there are many GoPro specific suction mounts available - from Amazon et al.

OfflineKGR

« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-24 17:10:17 »
                      Update. With the 1600mAh battery on 1080 a total time of 4hrs 40 is possible. So project is now cancelled. Ref setup of camera, I set mine up with engine running,screen in normal position when riding,and then adjust the view using GoPro app on my mobile. It works well.

OfflineDaren

« Reply #10 on: 2015-07-24 23:05:25 »
                        Update. With the 1600mAh battery on 1080 a total time of 4hrs 40 is possible. So project is now cancelled. Ref setup of camera, I set mine up with engine running,screen in normal position when riding,and then adjust the view using GoPro app on my mobile. It works well.

It might be me but I think you've got the numbers mixed up.  I have the hero 4 and don't get more than an hour out of the standard battery however, the memory card will record for 4 hours meaning a change of battery every 60 minutes or thereabouts.

OfflineKGR

« Reply #11 on: 2015-07-25 12:31:54 »
                          Thanks Daren, I 'll set it to record and see how long the 1600mAh battery lasts before it switches off.