Author Topic: Software update in Klingon  (Read 1785 times)

OfflineBarnsyuk

Software update in Klingon
    « on: 2015-07-27 17:17:31 »
    Just had the 6k service on my 2015 GT, dealer told me they had done an update on the software and started to explain what it was about, after 5 mins of listening to him speak Klingon all I got was something about mod to the fuelling. Can anyone tell me what the update actually did, all I know is that I had to reset everything as it had reverted to factory settings etc. Mind you it does seem to pull better, if that's possible, or is it just because it's been serviced and I treated it to super unleaded...
    1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Software update in Klingon
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-07-27 17:41:06 »
      I had the same software update done during the last service (40,000 kms).
      All the guy at the shop could tell me it was a major update to the central computer (Digital Motor Electronics or DME) which controls all key aspects of the engine's operation.
      I also think it runs smoother now but maybe that's a combination of the service, the update and the fact that I had a R1200GSW as a loaner  :D .
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-27 17:58:10 »
        Yup, pretty sure he metioned something about a DME...
        1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

Offlinemarkdavie

« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-28 23:06:20 »
          Yes, mine seems to pull slightly better but seems grumpier when cold - I didn't understand the explanation either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-26 17:52:56 »
            I know someone who got the update done and they were apparently told the update was to stop the engine using so much oil  ??? . Not quite sure what to make of that for a software update
            how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-26 23:42:55 »
              I was told it is to do with the the cracked piston issues caused by the bike running very lean, so the air fuel ratio is changed to reduce this issue,.

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-27 13:37:32 »
                Also had this update done & it was explained to me that it was to stop excessive oil consumption. When asked if it had something to do with cracked pistons the answer was yes. So without being told so I am assuming that we now all have a richer running motorcycle, and mine also seems grumpier also when cold.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-28 04:10:09 »
                  I have a new engine 6500 us miles ago due to 6 cracked pistons.  The new engine uses absolutely ZERO oil.  Honestly I think if your K16 is now using oil I think it already has some issues with either 1 or more cracked piston skirts and/or cracked oil rings.  It only gets worse.  it yours is under warranty I suggest taking it in for an engine tare down.  The drop test and the compression test both do not reveal any cracked pistons.  the engine has to be torn down to the piston to see the cracks and missing metal chunks.  ANY oil or fluids in the Airbox condensate line I believe is a sure sign of cracked pistons and/or rings.  I did not experience any horsepower loss...my 2012 k16 would just blow out a massive amount of white smoke when the airbox would fill up with oil and antifreeze

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2015-10-12 14:52:57 »
                    One thing I notice about my new K16 engine is the second power band.  The first power band is shortly after take off and then there is a second power band about 7.5 to 8,000 rpm's that really lays a person back into the seat.  OMG this new engine has some serious horsepower!  So far no oil use and she is running like a top!  I love my K16!!!