Author Topic: Tyres GTL VS Exclusive  (Read 1114 times)

OfflineJim

Tyres GTL VS Exclusive
    « on: 2015-08-01 12:25:58 »
    having had a GTL & now a Exclusive, both which have been run on Z8s I can say that the Exclusive is harder on tyres. The GTL got just over 5000 mile from the rear & 7000 mile from the front. The Exclusive has done 3000 mile rear (changed due to puncture) now at 6000 mile & new tyre has squared off, front now near bald at either side. So I reckon I am getting around 1000 mile less from the tyres on the Exclusive.

Anyone else found this?

Have to say that I do really like the Z8s, they do hold this bike to the road wet or dry.
    2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Tyres GTL VS Exclusive
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-08-01 14:35:40 »
      It's strange that only a few pounds more would make such a big difference in tyre wear.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-01 15:22:49 »
        Find it a little bit strange myself. Both ridden in the same manner ie not thrashed, mostly sitting 60 -90 two up
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-08-01 22:31:49 »
          Had a 2012 GTL and now a 2014 Exclusive, did more than 14 000 km with both on several Z8s and didn't notice any difference.
          But related to that: I'm currently on vacation in the Michigan area, and I think I understand now why some like the Z8s (like me),and some prefer other brands that last longer. Driving on these roads with not many curves, and if there are any, they are usually long and can be driven with normal speed, I understand that the Z8 may be too soft for these conditions and will not last very long. On the other hand, if I ride in Switzerland or the Alps, with narrow curves and more twisties than straight roads, I rely on the grip of my tires (and don't mind that I have to change them after 6000km only). I started to believe the Z8 are perfect for the curvy european roads. This would also explain, why they are top rated in German magazines. For large countries with more straight roads, other rubber mixes may be the better choice. Just a theory, but it could make sense.
          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2017-08-18 11:15:11 »
            Thought I would revive this post. Having stuck faithfully with the Z8s I have now changed to a set of 01s. Reason for doing this was the strange ware I keep getting from the Z8 front, squares off and bald only on the R. H. S. left seems to ware ok as expected, this affects the handling real bad. Got the front end checked out for alignment etc and all is as should be, anyway we will see how the 01s fair. So far have done around 20 mile on the new tyres and initial thoughts are - not as harsh
                               - turn in quicker
                               - front seems a bit     
                                 Noisier
            Time will tell if they live up to expectations
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
              « Reply #5 on:Yesterday at 16:23 »
              I have been having this discussion with a friend of mine who lives in Florida and rides a GTL.  I live in Ireland and ride an Exclusive.  Interesting points above about long straight roads for example in USA compared to narrow twisties that I ride in Ireland.  But you would imagine that the squaring off would be more likely on straight roads ?

I get around 6,000 miles out of my tyres - Z8's (I always change both together on this bike - used to get 2:1 (rear: front) on previous light sportsbikes).  My friend reckons he's getting 11,000 miles. Another factor mentioned is carrying a pillion (which I do) as well as full panniers.  But I replace tyres once there is any significant wear - in damp weather like Ireland there is no point taking chances trying to squeeze a few extra miles out of worn tyres. It could cost you a lot more than a new set of tyres.
              Éireann go Bráth.

anything