Author Topic: Autocom Audio connection  (Read 2359 times)

OfflineDeano

Autocom Audio connection
    « on: 2015-08-06 14:40:18 »
    Following advice from elsewhere on the forum I have purchased & fitted the Autocom switchable harness, to divert audio to helmet speakers. It only remains to connect the harness to the speaker cables. Am I correct in my belief that that speaker wires with the red tracer, Blue/Red, are the positives?
    Also, I would like to avoid, if possible, hacking in to the wiring loom. Does anyone know where I can get a set of the speaker plugs in order that I can make up a small interface harness which can be removed a when/ if I replace the bike. BWW dealers tell me these are dealer service items only & they are not permitted to supply them as a spare part.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Autocom Audio connection
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-08-06 15:49:34 »
      The colours are the other way round.
      Yellow / Red Stripe = LH Speaker - (Neg)
      Yellow / Brown Stripe = LH Speaker +  (Pos)   
      Blue / Red Stripe = RH Speaker - (Neg)
      Blue = RH Speaker  + (Pos)

Original BMW plugs are indeed hard to come by although some people seem to be able to get hold of them (not me).
      If you use Posi-Taps you won't damage anything and they are easily removed if need be.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineDeano

« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-06 18:22:32 »
        Many thanks.
        I had not heard about Posi-Taps before. Still looking for plugs though as Posi taps do not overcome the need to cut the positive wire in order to route it through the Autocom harness.
        But, I am still confused re wiring polarity. The loom cables with the red tracer both align with the red cable on the speakers. In everything else I have dealt with, from battery connection on up, red has always been positive.
        Also, the wiring diagram which came with the Autocom harness (for a 1200 RT) shows the left speaker as yellow for negative & yellow/red for positive. The colours for the right speaker are totally different (RT shown as green for neg & green/ black for pos). My head hurts.
        I hate electricity - can't see it, can't smell it, can't hear it & can only feel it when it's gone wrong.

OfflineKGR

« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-06 18:58:19 »
          Hi Deano, check out the thread by Ochmaheed  19-06-14. autocom problem, doing this mod was well discussed. I had the same prob as Och but it was ok after I swopped the cables over.

OfflineDeano

« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-12 12:33:25 »
            Many thanks everyone, I finally plucked up the courage to take the side cutters to the loom & got everything fitted. All working well apart from one slight crackle which I have to track down. Used Posi-taps as suggested, which are terrific little components.
            One tip, Posi-taps from Amazon et al all attract a quite outrageous postage & packing charge equating to 50% of the initial cost. After a bit of digging I found Posi Connect, UK based, who ship same day for £1. Excellent service.

OfflineKGR

« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-14 10:45:51 »
              Well done Deano. I had a similar crackling but narrowed it down to the lead on my headset. luckily it was still under 12 month warranty so it got sent back. The spare was fitted and it's ok now. Have you tried the plug and play socket, rather than having a loose lead sticking out from between the tank & seat? I fitted one and it's good, but had to use the long straight lead as opposed to the coiled one to connect to the headset.

OfflineDeano

« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-15 19:22:23 »
                Cheers KGR
                What I would like to do now is power the Autocom hub via a switched circuit. I currently use the accessory socket but this does not power down when the ignition is switched off (despite what the manual says) & if I forget to unplug it drains the battery. Also, I forget to plug it in when I set off & have to stop & fiddle - pain in the rear. I understand that I can tap into the power feed to the plug under the pillion seat (redundant on the GT as no fancy top box). I have been advised that the power feed is the red wire but, my bike does not have a red wire! Two brown, red/brown, white/green, grey/black & purple/grey.
                Anyone know which is the live wire?

OfflineKGR

« Reply #7 on: 2015-09-21 10:38:45 »
                  Hi Deano,

Did you sort out the power for autocom?

Keith

OfflineDeano

« Reply #8 on: 2015-09-22 13:05:11 »
                    Hi Keith

Not yet. I rang my dealer who advised that tapping in to the top box plug was not advised as the Autocom draws too much power! Not entirely convinced of this, will have to check what the Autocom power draw actually is. Dealer says to tap in to the rear of the accessory socket, which being buried in the middle of the bike is not the easiest thing to get to. Also worried that as the socket does not power down if you leave the Aotocom plugged in (as I said before, despite what the manual says) the same condition will apply if you tap in to the socket feed.
                    By the way, sorted the crackle. You were right, dodgy connection on the headset lead. Cleaned up all the plugs with a shot of contact cleaner & Hey Presto, all is crystal clear. Also fitted a plug & play socket in the near side fairing panel, much better than the stick on thingy. Oddly, my straight lead was not long enough but the coiled one is!

Deano

OfflineKawaman

« Reply #9 on: 2016-03-16 20:03:37 »
                      Just Fitted my Autocom system to the bike via a Fuzebox.
                      Just wanted to say a big thanks to previous posters who's advice made this a simple process.

Thanks Again.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2016-03-17 10:08:52 »
                        Just Fitted my Autocom system to the bike via a Fuzebox.
                        Just wanted to say a big thanks to previous posters who's advice made this a simple process.
                        Thanks Again.
                        You're welcome. That's what this forum (and others) is for.
                        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

anything