Author Topic: Oil in air box  (Read 1543 times)

OfflineThe Dude

Oil in air box
    « on: 2015-09-14 17:52:38 »
    Help.  I have 2012 K1600GTL with 23,000 miles.  Put in service 7/2011.
     Burning blue smoke from exhaust pipe first right side then left side then both sides.  Burned blue  smoke for 3 miles before it cleared up.  Then no more smoke. The dealer found 4 - 6 ounces of oil in the air box that went through the air filter and down into combustion chamber.   Said I must have over filled it when I topped off the oil prior to a 800 mile trip.
     I just had the dealer do an oil/filter change and replace the air filter.  I checked the oil on dipstick when I got home.  Hot engine, per instruction in the manual.  The engine oil showed full.  2 days later engine cold, I check air box condensate drain tube before starting the engine.  Tube has no residue.
     Ride for the day put on 200 miles. No blue smoke.  Get home center stand the bike.  Check condensate tube and at least 1 to 2 ounces of oil comes pouring out!  Anybody have any ideas on why??
     Help please.
    2016 K16 GTL

OfflineSurfMan

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Oil in air box
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-09-16 03:42:20 »
        Hi Ashell: I myself had the exact same thing happen this Summer.  BMW found "6" yes SIX cracked pistons.  It may still be under warranty or some recall.  Best to take it in.  Mine past the compression test, oil drop test and bore scope tests.  The engine has to be fully disassembled to see the cracked pistons.  I found my k16 2012 oil smoked when the airbox was filled with oil which took about 200-300 US miles.  The problem swiftly gets worse rapidly and can actually seize up while you are on a ride causing possible terrible things if the wheel locks up.  I now have a brand new engine with a two year warranty.  BMW however would not extend the tranny warranty.  Since the engine and tranny share the same oil I protested that the tranny could have been damaged from the metal piston particles .  Good Luck.  A new engine is about $5500 usd plus labor.  You may need to go to court if she is out of warranty.  BMW is well aware of the problem with 2012 engines but slow to move on any recall

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-09-16 11:50:55 »
          ....... A new engine is about $5500 usd plus labor.  .....
          That's a bargain. Over here the engine is almost € 10,500 which is more the double.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-20 04:08:12 »
            I think if it were my bike and it was "out of warranty" I would send most everyday parked in the local BMW lot and just let her idle and smoke for the world to see.  It would certainly affect sales right  maybe bmw would step in an offer some sort of relief? 

anything