Author Topic: Brake Life  (Read 1582 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

Brake Life
    « on: 2015-10-01 23:07:52 »
    Anyone have a guess as to how mile US Miles the front brakes last?  I am at 32,000 US Miles and I think I am about there.  There are making a dragging noise during corners.  I check the wheel bearings and they are smooth and silk but the left front shoe pad is dragging and very thin

OfflineBob S

Re: Brake Life
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-10-02 21:25:13 »
      Is that the life of the pads or the life of the discs (rotors)? If your pads have lasted 32000 miles you have done very well indeed.
      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-10-02 22:12:08 »
        Agreed. Only got 20,000 UK miles out of my front pads! Dealer said they were 99% worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Just enjoy it!

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-04 01:56:28 »
          Thanks, I had better change them this weekend. 

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #4 on: 2015-10-04 15:57:01 »
            20,000 out of front pads for me too
            how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2015-10-04 23:11:33 »
              New pads installed.  This is one of the fastest and easiest maintenance itemsI have ever accomplished on the K1600.  Here here the torque specs: https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-maintenance-do-yourself/18521-maintenance-torque-cheat-sheet.html  My front pads were close to being worn to the max wear marks.  I think I could have gotten about 5-6k US miles more but why try.  Pics attached.  The "screwdriver marks are just that.  I found it easy to just push the pads back forcing the cylinders back into the housing.  Make certain you suck out some dot4 fluid from the handle bar reservoir before doing our you may spring a leak!  I replace the dot4 with new fluid.  8mm on right side and 10mm on left side.  28nm torque for calipers.  Use anti-sequel paste where metal meets metal on the back of pads.  New pads were purchase through Beemer Boneyard at 1/2 the cost of BMW OEM.  I promise they will meet or exceed the performance of any costly BMW pads.  https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cl2960a3.html 

I think the main reason for such a high mileage on the OEM pads is because 90% of my riding is open desert highway.  Almost no stop lights.  90 to 120 MPH is common place.

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #6 on: 2015-10-08 12:53:11 »
                Had to do my rears in about 6k miles, which made me question whether I am using the rear brake too much, I'm sure I don't 'ride' the rear brake. I now rely on the linked braking to do the job. The majority of my miles are on  a twice annual trip to the Picos mountains of Spain. This is very hard on tyres and brakes, the fronts were done at about 11k. Incidentally I notice some of the US guys on the site refer to US miles, according to Wiki they are the same as UK, makes interesting reading as there were different miles in many countries historically.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2015-10-08 17:00:47 »
                  Almost every service my pads are changed and I am not an agressive rider.
                  Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2015-10-09 02:58:45 »
                    Wow, my rear pads look like near new still.  I use the fronts most of the time.  It help when cornering in my mind

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2015-11-01 14:38:35 »
                      Wow, my rear pads look like near new still.  I use the fronts most of the time.  It help when cornering in my mind
                      I also use the front most of the time but due to the linkage system you then automatically use the rear brake as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)