Author Topic: Nav V cowl  (Read 1897 times)

OfflineDave

Nav V cowl
    « on: 2015-11-01 13:22:49 »
    I'm thinking of buying a BMW Navigator V for my bike. The bike is 2013 so will have to replace the plastic housing.
    I see some of you have done this, can you guys let me know what you paid for the cowl.

Thanks
    Dave

OfflineWinston Smith

Re: Nav V cowl
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-11-01 21:13:49 »
      Get a Nav IV or Zumo 660.  Better unit then Nav V
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #2 on: 2015-11-02 06:11:43 »
        Get a Nav IV or Zumo 660.  Better unit then Nav V

Define "better" How is the Nav IV better than the V?

I switched from A GTL with a Nav IV to an Exclusive with a Nav V, but as far as the Nav goes, I think the Nav V is way better: it's much faster, more responsive. If I had to name a con, it's the fact that it has no speaker built in anymore, so when using it in the car, you have to use the cradle+charger combo to get spoken directions. Other than that, I am happy with the Nav V.

OfflineTony23

« Reply #3 on: 2015-11-02 08:52:36 »
          Dave

Had the cowl replaced on my old k16 I think the cost was about £25 for the cowl and the dealer fitted it for free whilst doing a service.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #4 on: 2015-11-02 10:38:26 »
            Define "better" How is the Nav IV better than the V?

I switched from A GTL with a Nav IV to an Exclusive with a Nav V, but as far as the Nav goes, I think the Nav V is way better: it's much faster, more responsive. If I had to name a con, it's the fact that it has no speaker built in anymore, so when using it in the car, you have to use the cradle+charger combo to get spoken directions. Other than that, I am happy with the Nav V.

Nav IV is a lot easier to use, and some of the functions on Nav V are annoying to say the least.  The worse trait is the units insistence at returning to a way point if it is missed. Miss a way point by a small amount and the Nav V will keep recalculating and rerouting unless you go into the system and find the skip (can't remember the button name) function.  Garmin built this into the Nav V and it is a pain.  Nav IV will skip after a couple of recalcs.

We use both units and everyone will take the IV over the V every time.  Personally I found the 660 better than the Nav IV due to music compatibility!
            The limited wheel access, IMO isn't worth the extra cost of the IV, as most stuff needs the screen touching to use it anyway
            Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-02 16:39:44 »
              My old Tomtom rider used to insist you went to all way points, it was a real pain in particular riding with others who had different sat navs and the route may be slightly different. Having to stop to skip or say waypoint visited is a pain.
              Currently have the 660 and my main gripe with it is it is a bit slow to zoom in when approaching turn offs, normally no problem but if things are congested with a few turn offs close together it can sometimes be a lottery to get the right one. It very quickly notices a missed way point and if on the way to next one it just carries on. Scrren is a bit battered and was thinking of a new one but not the V if it behaves like that.
              how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                « Reply #6 on: 2015-11-02 17:01:34 »
                My dealer did a change foc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just enjoy it!

OfflineDeano

« Reply #7 on: 2015-11-02 23:53:58 »
                  When I bought my Nav V my dealer supplied a new cowl & blanking plate foc. Simple enough job to change the cowl, only six screws & pop the tabs at the top. More details if you need them.
                  Can't speak for the differences between the IV & V, I jumped straight from a 10 year old 550 which also does not 'skip' missed waypoints. What you never had you don't miss! The functionality you get with the V via the whizz wheel I think is worth if you are upgrading from old tech, like me. I especially like the ability to change volume & repeat last instruction without having to stretch forward on the move.

Delano

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                    « Reply #8 on: 2015-11-06 14:49:27 »
                    The V is faster, bigger and brighter than the IV. All will try not to skip a waypoint. Voice prompts are far better as well. Start up is also nearly instantaneous once its been mounted.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2015-11-06 23:19:55 »
                      It's easy to skip the waypoint on the Nav 5. Having used both (my Nav 4 expired and was replaced with the Nav5 under warranty) I find the V to be a superior unit.
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineDave

« Reply #10 on: 2015-11-10 19:52:25 »
                        Thanks everyone

OfflineCRom11

« Reply #11 on: 2015-12-09 09:32:07 »
                          You can assign  a button on the screen to skip waypoint or set it in a away that it can be skipped with the wonder wheel using the Zoom + option

Offlinealstrickland55

« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-19 15:41:20 »
                            You can assign  a button on the screen to skip waypoint or set it in a away that it can be skipped with the wonder wheel using the Zoom + option
                            Will you explain the procedure for setting it up to skip a waypoint using the wonder wheel. I would like to be able to do that. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

anything