Author Topic: new to forum  (Read 1040 times)

Offlinekeith zx

new to forum
    « on: 2015-11-15 10:14:46 »
    hi ,just registered ,i maybe purchasing a 2015 gt se ,2015 with 1100miles for £15000.00  its from a dealer but not in my area .so i am unable to view the bike till it is deliverd ,obviously still has bmw warranty till april 2017,i am assured it is mint. all the pictures in the showroom make it look new ,mettalic black ,with engine protection bars . colour coded top box.  radio and sat nav ready..i have always had kawasaki's gtr 1400,and a line of zzr 1400 ,present bike the 2015 performance sport ,which i am in the process of selling private.i have been pondering over this change for a while ,the first bike i tested i couldnot get away with the bad gearchange totally spoilt the ride for me,i have recently rode the 2013 gt and the gearchange was ok apart from a slight click.is there anything i should look out for ,i have been reseaching and i am still not sure to go ahead or not  due to horror stories on you tube and forums,water pump problems,new short engines,unable to turn the bike off,engine cutting out .and gearboxes,.are the 2105 models any better ,or am i just taking too much notice of the forums and you tube,any advice would be appreciated , thanks,

Offlinejqworle

Re: new to forum
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-11-15 10:44:06 »
      I also came from a ZZR1400 and loved it , this bike is so different, it's heavier but can be thrown around , the modes and suspension work well and I have loved it , however this is not a bike I would continue to own without a warranty .check for corrosion on the cylinder block , I am having a complete new short block for this , in there defence BMW have not quibbled over it saying I didn't clean it or anything like that. First  two gears are a bit clunky if changing at low revs so I tend to change at about 3000 rpm. Dynamic mode is snatchy at cold engine temps I tend to start off in rain mode for a mile or 2 then change modes.other than that I have had no switch or water pump issues in the year I have owned it.
      You will enjoy it and if you get a chance get it on a track I have twice and it sounds amazing once all 6 cylinders are screaming no it does handle surprisingly well.

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #2 on: 2015-11-15 11:36:56 »
        Thanks for. Your reply what year I s your bike and how many miles have you done it seems a major amount of work to renew the block for a bit of corrosion I did speak to someone at the dealers who had the same issue as you they renewed the short block and also put in a new gearbox he wasn't complaining  just didn't. Expect to get the new gearbox aswelll

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #3 on: 2015-11-15 12:16:58 »
          Mines a my14 sport on a 63 plate got it with 8000 miles on it now got 15000miles.
          I agree a short block is £4500 but it is better than just BMW changing the casings which could lead to a whole nest of problems afterwards, it is also a quicker fix, but if they improved the coating on the engines it would not be an issue. Also as a side note i haven't seen any bikes post my15 with this issue yet so perhaps it is just earlier model years.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
            « Reply #4 on: 2015-11-15 12:53:08 »
            I picked up a May 14 GT Sport complete with matching top box and 5300 miles a few months ago.

I to have a 1400GTR which I've kept.  Although both bikes are sport tourers the K16 is a big comfy armchair and the GTR is like a nimble sports bike in comparison.

Love both of them to bits

South of France for breakfast right now K16

Sunday morning blast with the boys GTR

You will love the sweet K16 motor and hate/tolerate the crap gear change quality (really does spoil an otherwise perfect ride)

Enjoy 😃

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-19 23:39:46 »
              I moved from GTR1400 to the K1600GTL. Both good bikes, if I did most of my miles solo would probably still have the GTR but in my opinion the K1600 is better with a pillion, she also agrees.
              how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineRoadLizard

« Reply #6 on: 2015-11-29 04:58:46 »
                Another noob  --  I picked up my 2015 K1600GT last month.  This one has all options available  for the GT.   520 miles on it already. I haven't ridden the old FJR since it arrived ! 

I'm  thinking about  attaching  a camera mount.   I saw a youtube video on the Wonderlich mount for the K1600 that looks like a good possibility but I already have some RAM gear.  Anybody using RAM mounts on the K1600 ?
                « Last Edit: 2015-11-29 14:11:34 by RoadLizard »

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #7 on: 2015-11-29 11:19:56 »
                  hopefully my new gt sport will be arriving on wednesday ,it arrived with a scratched pannier ,which is being renewed before delivery ,my first bm ,after a long line of kawasaki's,(never had a fault with any of them )...hope i can say the same for my bm,,,can you tell me how many miles do you have to run it in for,before  its first service ,and what is the best  procedure revs speed ect .my kawasaki's were around 600 mile ,no hard accelerating and keeping it to no more than 4000 revs,and never had a problem...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                    « Reply #8 on: 2015-11-29 18:08:15 »
                    It's all described in the manual.

Running in:
                    - The first 1000 km (600 miles). While running in the motorcycle, vary the throttle opening and engine-speed range frequently; avoid riding at constant engine rpm for prolonged periods. Try to do most of your riding during this initial period on twisting, fairly hilly roads, avoiding high-speed main roads and highways if possible.
                    - Comply with the rpm limits for running in.
                    <5000 min-1 (Odometer reading 0...300 km/200 miles)
                    <6000 min-1 (Odometer reading 300...1000 km/600 miles)
                    no full throttle (Odometer reading 0...1000 km)
                    - Do not omit the first inspection after 500 -1200 km (300-700 miles).
                    Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)