Author Topic: How many warranty claims have you had?  (Read 1830 times)

Offlinediversity48

How many warranty claims have you had?
    « on: 2015-12-07 05:35:38 »
    Hello Forum members and readers! I am a prospective GT or GTL buyer (but haven't taken the plunge yet). Several bikes in the garage and I'm unfortunately going to have to elimiinate at least one (possibly 2) of them to make room for such a beast. Anyway, I'm sure some one here saw the recent US Ebay listings for the salvage titled K1600's and the RT1200s on there. Obviously offered at prices substantially below "normally titled" bikes.  Seems strange that such new and low mileage machines could be saddled with the "salvage" stamp, but apparently it happens. With a car, the salvage title also voids the warranty, and I assume it would carry over to bikes, too. So, the question is, "how often have you used the warranty on your K16?" I have to admit that the number of engine failures I read about on this and other forums frightens me a bit, but maybe those are the exception? I understand that any time you buy something like this, there is always the chance for problems. Just thought I'd bounce the question off Experienced Owners to check the response?
    Jack

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: How many warranty claims have you had?
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-12-07 09:21:16 »
      Don't let what you read here put you off.
      There are only a few engine failures but people write about those few failures a lot.
      Besides that, most people who have had one or more warranty claims still are happy with the bike.
      The only failure I had was the cluster switches and that was dealt with immediately (literally within 1 day)..
      Others have had problems with the water pump but those have been dealt with as well.
      Of all the people complaining I know only of 2 maybe 3 that actually sold the bike for this reason.
      Anyway, for everyone writing about something that is wrong with the bike there are thousands of people who have no problems whatsoever. But you rarely read about those.
      All I can say is: if you want one go to the dealer to do a test ride (and bring your cheque book).
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-07 11:20:45 »
        I'll share my happy story.

I have driven a K1200LT over 110.000 km's since 2008. I switched to the GTL after that, and was a tad disappointed with the machine, until I realised (after 250 km :)) that this wasn't a K1200LT replacement. It was something much more fun. After 95.000 km on the GTL since 2012, I got a GTL Exclusive in July 2015. I have passed the 12.000 km already. I use my bike mostly for commuting. Every day I push the Pearl Dame out of the garage and fire her up, it brings a smile on my face.

In 2012, I was the proud owner of the 3rd GTL in the Netherlands, with all the startup problems that come along with it. I also suffered from the cluster switch booboo, but that was fixed on the spot (replaced).  I've had my transmission and clutch replaced under warranty because the slack was too big, it was clunky as hell. It even dropped out of gear a few times. (Not funny when doing the twisties two-up in dark Germany). After that 2nd generation gearbox, no more problems.

Today  the third generation K1600 are rolling out of Berlin. The startup issues have long gone. With multiple bikes in the garage, I assume you are an experienced biker. Go have a test drive, make sure to put her in Dynamic mode to experience her as the Smile Maker™. (F*ck Rain mode :)).

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-08 01:31:27 »
          I have a mid year 2012 K1600GTL: Daisy wheel was replaced at about 16,000 US Miles.  The Engine replaced for six crack pistons at around 26,000 US Miles.  All handlebar switches replaced at 26,000 miles.  Everything under full warranty.  She runs beautifully now at close to 35,000 US Miles.  I think it was just like BMW said..bad set of piston rings or flaw in piston skirt.  I do not plan to sell.  I recently purchased the GS911 and a brand new Schubert C3 Pro world tour graphics and coms.  Word of advice: any oil at all ...AN I MEAN ANY OIL AT ALL...comes out of your airbox condensate line (located just above your left ankle tucked just inside behind the frame.black rubber hose) then you had better get your K16 engine looked at and documented "just in case".  before warranty expires.   I think the bad pistons are isolated to mainly mid 2012 years.  May-Sept.  Anyway...I got a brand new engine and she runs like a rocket ship!

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-08 17:09:40 »
            Had a early 2011 GTL and had at 600 miles …new dipstick, new switches, new chrome strip, new top case ( lid out of line, not closing right),new brake master cylinder lid and seal. Now have a early 2014 Exclusive and have had… new water pump, new right hand switch so far at 6000 miles, menu switch is now playing up ( when pushed down it sometimes sticks). All repaired under warranty.

Don't be put off by this, yes it should not happen but all repaired no questions asked.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinediversity48

« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-09 18:27:34 »
              W0W!! Thanks for all the detailed replies! I've owned several Beemers over the years, and all have had "little" things that weren't right. Most recently on my R1100RS (94) with a leaky front master after replacing original brake lines with braided steel at 92k, (a mistake, should have left the old lines on, but that's another story). But never an engine failure, no oil consumption problems, really none of the major problems mentioned in the these posts. Makes it kind of scary to invest $12-15k in a "new to me" BMW (even if it's a great "deal"),with no factory warranty. This is a fantastic forum and I will definitely continue reading and participating. But it will be as a pre 2004 owner. When my 85 K and the 94RS finally fail me, they'll be replaced with similar "old school" BMW's. At least that's how it seems now...'til the next "GREAT DEAL" comes along!  :P  Then, well, I'll just say "WE'LL SEE"!!!
              Jack

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-11 04:51:48 »
                BMW ...I have to say took care of my engine replacement.  It runs fantastic now with absolutely zero oil loss.  The power is breathtaking to say the least!  The way she runs now compared to brand new ....well lets say it runs much better.  I think the piston issue was always there from the beginning.  If you do buy one....I do recommend it...just check the airbox drain hose before you put down the cash.  No oil, no fluids of any kind.  I plan to keep mine for at least until BMW comes out with a K1800 on the K1200LT frame.  Good luck.  I went through several K1200's before my K1600.  What I miss about the K1200 is the weight during heavy winds and the extra smooth shift and comfortable seat.  What I love about the K16 is the braking, cornering, acceleration, feather touch throttle and clutch.  I doubt my arthritis in my hand I could handle the heavy K1200 throttle all day.   

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-12 14:36:39 »
                  I had a 2012 GT and used the BMW warranty for paint flaking of the cylinder head, to cure this BMW stripped the engine and rebuilt it using a short block engine, all for a quarter inch of paint missing from the finish, also a cluster switch and starter replacement. I liked the bike so much that I got another, I now have a 2014 GT, have been riding it for 12 months and had absolutely no problems or issues with it.

They are great bikes, easy to ride fast, and all day comfortable for me at 6"4"
                  1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-14 11:25:53 »
                    2012 K16 GT purchased with 1,000 miles on it in October 2012, can't remember how many claims, but both switches replaced, several times.  That bike overheated three times going up the Stelvio Pass in 2013, and overheated every single day on my European trip in 2014.  I eventually had to bring it to a dealer in Milan who washed the radiator and it stayed cool enough for me to get home and trade it in.

2015 K16 Sport, brand new in September 2014 (after trading in the duff 2012 bike).  It has had four warranty items including twice replacing an Auxiliary light, left switchgear, Sat Nav housing.

Every failure means me taking at least a half day off work for the bit to be replaced.

I had Jap bikes for over 30 years and never had to replace so much as a bulb.

People make excuses for all the bike failures that are reported, but to put it simply, none of these failures should happen.  I don't think it will improve until some manufacturer puts quality and reliability at the top of their list and challenges BMW to do the same.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                      « Reply #9 on: 2015-12-15 00:08:16 »
                      I'm hoping that my March 14 Sport does not need support.

Understand it's had switchgear and an ECU

My 1400GTR only had 1 issue which was sorted under warranty.

Reading the forum it looks like someone signed the product off before development was complete IMO

Just how many problem areas can a product have !

Lol but that motor is so nice (not the transmission) 👍😃

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #10 on: 2016-01-13 18:37:13 »
                        None bought in may 2015 with just under 13000 uk miles on it now on to 27500 used all year round on a daily basis
                        Just keep an eye on oil levels

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                          « Reply #11 on: 2016-01-13 22:19:44 »
                          None, except one recall for switches that was done during the yearly service. Almost 30'000km now, and riding on and on... :-)
                          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

Offlinebeemerbaz

« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-19 15:49:44 »
                            My 2012 has had no warranty issues.

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #13 on: 2016-03-28 11:38:11 »
                              Just to update now has 2 complete engine rebuild and new rad lucky under warranty wouldn't want those bills

anything