Author Topic: oil in air box  (Read 2232 times)

OfflineJeremy hunnisett

oil in air box
    « on: 2016-01-02 22:21:21 »
    These are my comments on e7 navy1999 post 9th Oct 2015 (Engine smoke, blown motor cracked pistons)
    I have been watching your posts with interest. I seen to have similar symptoms as you have described with my k1600,19600 miles, 2011 model. I bought it at 10,000 miles through BMW dealer in Auckland New Zealand. It has been using about 1 quart every 4,000 miles and not putting any fluid into the air box until recently. Riding it two weeks ago I noticed blue smoke out the back at high reeves and hard acceleration. When I got home I opened the air box drain plug and about 1/2 cup of rusty looking oil poured out.I have now sent it to The bmw shop in Auckland, they have contacted BMW Germany ? , They will do compression and leak down tests. I am hoping Bmw will cover the cost for this as it appears there is a piston problem with some of these bikes. New Zealand consumer guarantees act says an item should be fault free and durable for as long as most people would expect that kind of product to last. Will keep you all informed of progress.
    UPDATE
    The bike has been in the shop in Auckland for three months. VERY slow progress. Compression, leak down and bore scope tests have been done. BMW said there were some anomalies, they did not elaborate.
    The shop started to pull down engine (rocker box removal only),BMW then said check breather system. This is full of emulsified oil as you would expect. They are now saying, clean out the breather system, then start using the bike again. I am not very happy with this suggestion.
    Someone at the shop has offered to do this for me, to satisfy the requirements of BMW. They will monitor oil in air box.
    I will keep you informed of progress.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
      Re: oil in air box
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-01-03 12:18:58 »
      Thank you for your informative post.

Does not sound good. Especially the slow response time.  Ensure you record all contact date time duration and content of said contact and prepare for bringing out the big guns after the velvet glove has failed.
      You have evidence of this being a known manufacturing fault and of its correct rectification.  Unless you and the bike endure extreme climatic variation the breathing system should not be blocked and in need of maintenance at such an early age. 
      For the breather to be blocked would indicated excessive crankcase pressure normally through piston blow by or very short runs were the engine fails to reach operating temperature for a period allowing condensation to form residue in the system.

Just my 2p's worth as a forma service manager.

The testing for these symptoms you describe take no longer than 24hrs with a cold engine at the start.  3 months sounds very excessive

Please keep us informed of progress as it will help others in the future.

Charlie
      « Last Edit: 2016-01-03 12:27:57 by Charlie747 »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-03 16:28:14 »
        Good Morning Jeremy.  My K1600 GTL 2012 had the same breather system full of emulsified oil.  The technician chose to dig deeper and pull the heads.  Even with the heads pulled there was no sign of crack piston.  When he pulled the cylinders is when piston ring pieces fell loose and the piston skirts.  The oil rings were cracked on all six pistons and the piston skirts on most.  You mechanic just needs to dig a little further

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-01-03 22:11:32 »
          Good Morning Jeremy.  My K1600 GTL 2012 had the same breather system full of emulsified oil.  The technician chose to dig deeper and pull the heads.  Even with the heads pulled there was no sign of crack piston.  When he pulled the cylinders is when piston ring pieces fell loose and the piston skirts.  The oil rings were cracked on all six pistons and the piston skirts on most.  You mechanic just needs to dig a little further

Sounds like you had a keen thorough man on the job

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-04 02:27:09 »
            He was awesome.  he even made some internal adjustment to the way it shift and now it is much smoother.  You will notice much more horsepower and smoothness with a new engine.  I was going to sell mine but now decided to keep it a few more years.  if BMW come out with a K1800 I am all in

OfflineJeremy hunnisett

« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-04 22:28:22 »
              Thanks for the support guys.
              I don't do short runs in bad weather (I live in a rural area). I and the service person agree with your comments about the likely problem. They say they have to do what BMW say. But this is still no excuse for the time taken to get this far.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                « Reply #6 on: 2016-01-05 01:49:00 »
                In England and Wales the courts of the land use the following as a guide.......

"What any fair and reasonable person would expect"

Sounds like your local BMW importer is dragging their heels and or watching their budgets.
                « Last Edit: 2016-01-05 10:12:53 by Charlie747 »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-05 04:09:46 »
                  Hey Jeremy,  Yes BMW dealer has to get factory permission for each and every step of the diagnosis.  It is very time consuming.  I think it could even be a stall tactic so as to give the factory more time to either make more replacement engines or devise a fix.   I actually purchased anolder BMW RT because I knew my K16 would be in the shop for a long period.  It is sickening that BMW treats us this way on a $24,000 to $33000 bike...but they are very arrogant and think they can get away with it.  The dealer mechanic was very understanding and gave me fair warning how long one should expect for the repair.  In your case, you will have to just drive it around some and then take it back in when it begins to smoke and use excessive oil as well as blow white smoke from the exhaust.  Don't baby it.  run that thing like it was designed.  The cracked oil rings and piston skirts will cause engine oil to be forced up into the airbox and eventually spill over into the air intake and out the exhaust as white bellowing smoke.  at that time you should make a Youtube and post it like others did.  Send a copy to BMW customer service.  My new engine does not burn any oil...zero.  The horsepower is about 20-25% more and it purrs.   For the fix BMW should give you a Brand NEW short block..engine without tranny.  Best would be for them to give you a new complete engine as it has the 2016 tranny that is far superior to the 2012 clunk design.   I also asked for an extended warranty on the catalytic converter, oxygen sensors and original 3yr warranty but they only cough up a 2yr.  Good Luck.  There should be NO OIL at all in your airbox condensate drain line.  If there is any at all...you have a cracked oil ring or piston or both

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                    « Reply #8 on: 2016-01-05 10:15:16 »
                    Agree 100% with the above

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #9 on: 2016-01-05 18:27:01 »
                        i also agree ,but it is very scarey when you hear nightmare stories like this ,,a big disaster if it happens especially on such an expensive bike ,these bmw 's should be bullet proof for the cost of them.!!!!

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                        « Reply #10 on: 2016-01-05 20:29:30 »
                          i also agree ,but it is very scarey when you hear nightmare stories like this ,,a big disaster if it happens especially on such an expensive bike ,these bmw 's should be bullet proof for the cost of them.!!!!

Agree 100% with you on that.

With a list price north of £20k the quality of the product is sadly lacking.   I was tempted like you for the 2016 GT Sport.

But I'm so glad I managed to keep my GTR as a back up bike by buying used after visiting this site

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #11 on: 2016-01-06 18:38:05 »
                          i nearly went down the road of buying a used 1600gt,hopefully i wont have any problems,i will say that the new 2016 model i have rides far better than any of the 1600gt's i test rode, especially the gearbox ,liking it more and more, just waiting for some good weather ..time will tell. finger cossed

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                            « Reply #12 on: 2016-01-06 18:51:47 »
                            i nearly went down the road of buying a used 1600gt,hopefully i wont have any problems,i will say that the new 2016 model i have rides far better than any of the 1600gt's i test rode, especially the gearbox ,liking it more and more, just waiting for some good weather ..time will tell. finger cossed

👍😃

OfflineJeremy hunnisett

« Reply #13 on: 2016-04-25 01:14:53 »
                              Hi all, I got bike back from dealer 12th March. It has "software update", smoother in low revs but seems to be down on horse power in high revs. I have now done 1300 miles. It has used about 1/3 quart of oil so far. No oil in air box. No smoking but still dirty black looking exhaust outlets. I will keep riding and see how it goes.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                                « Reply #14 on: 2016-04-25 16:42:24 »
                                Sounds like a plan. 

Clean exhaust outlets and monitor the build up of residue. There will be some still working its way through so it should finish.

If not back to the dealer 👍😃