Author Topic: Battery Life K16  (Read 1598 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

Battery Life K16
    « on: 2016-01-14 03:22:14 »
    Anyone have a clue how long of a life to expect from the OEM K16 battery?  Mine is an original 2012.  Hate to have to figure out how to start this puppy with no kick started and on flat land

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Battery Life K16
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-01-14 09:54:52 »
      Mine is original March 2011 and still going strong. The trick is to keep on riding  ;).
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-15 03:19:48 »
        thanks.  I had two K1200's in the past and personal experience is when the battery goes it just completely drops off 100%.  Hate to be stuck at some remote site.   

OfflineDeano

« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-17 12:56:20 »
          I am on my fourth BMW, K100RT, K1200RS, R1200RT, K1600GT & on all of them the battery dropped a cell after 3 years. This despite regular use & plugging in to a battery manager when idle. I always replaced with an Odyssey battery, none of which needed replacement before I changed bikes, up to seven years. If your battery is over three years old keep a close eye on it & if it starts to drop volts over a shorter & shorter period replace it before it dumps you in the middle of nowhere.

Offlinebeemerbaz

« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-18 19:07:44 »
            Good advice.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-19 01:45:08 »
              Thanks Deano.  You ever tried this battery in the K16?  I used it in my past two K1200's and it worked great.  Last about 5 years but then again some people say it only last 1-year.  https://www.ecomelectronics.com/p3186158/12v-22ah-battery-sla-replacement-for-belkin-berbc60-f6c100-4-ups.html

OfflineBob S

« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-19 12:19:47 »
                I am on my fourth BMW, K100RT, K1200RS, R1200RT, K1600GT & on all of them the battery dropped a cell after 3 years. This despite regular use & plugging in to a battery manager when idle. I always replaced with an Odyssey battery, none of which needed replacement before I changed bikes, up to seven years. If your battery is over three years old keep a close eye on it & if it starts to drop volts over a shorter & shorter period replace it before it dumps you in the middle of nowhere.

My experience of the Odyssey was nowhere near as good, with the one I bought for my 1200GS only lasting three years. The replacement battery, which was a third of the price of the Odyssey, was still going strong after three years.
                2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineDeano

« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-19 12:54:45 »
                  Hi Bob
                  One third of the price! Always looking to save a few shillings. Which battery did you use?

OfflineBob S

« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-19 13:16:44 »
                    Hi Bob
                    One third of the price! Always looking to save a few shillings. Which battery did you use?

Hi Deano,

It's going back a bit now, but I got it off Ebay for £37 delivered back in 2010/11. I just searched on Ebay and found this YTX14BS for £38.50 It's a Varta, so an established manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YTX14-BS-AGM-Liquifix-Gel-Technology-VARTA-Motorcycle-Battery-True-High-Power-/321848490485?hash=item4aefaa39f5:g:pfMAAOSwTapV4vOs
                    2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2016-01-19 13:23:07 »
                      https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=85&Ct=JA&SbCt=BA_15_85_JA_49

This is the Motorworks shop and the batteries they have for the K1600. It's the YT19BL-BS that fits the K1600 and there is a Yuasa on Ebay for £66 including delivery.
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2016-01-22 01:48:26 »
                        I have been reading a load about batteries.  Beware of GEL batteries as they have a very specialize way of charging and maintenance.  I standard BMW battery winter tender may destroy it.   link:GEL: The Gel Cell is similar to the AGM style because the electrolyte is suspended, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The electrolyte in a Gel Cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltage on this type of cell is lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.  - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#sthash.Hcw3naPN.dpuf

Here is an inexpensive tool to perform a fast test on your own battery OEM AGM Battery.  It will give you ample notice when the battery is beginning to fail:       https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html

GEL: The Gel Cell is similar to the AGM style because the electrolyte is suspended, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The electrolyte in a Gel Cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltage on this type of cell is lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.  - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#sthash.Hcw3naPN.dpuf GEL: The Gel Cell is similar to the AGM style because the electrolyte is suspended, but different because technically the AGM battery is still considered to be a wet cell. The electrolyte in a Gel Cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltage on this type of cell is lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.  - See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html#sthash.Hcw3naPN.dpufAGM seem to be the best all around for our K1600. 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #11 on: 2017-02-13 02:32:18 »
                          Whew, all the high tech gadgets in the world...I learned when the K16 battery goes...it goes FAST!.  I was lucky and had a dry one brand new on the shelf.  I was out washing my baby on a sunny winter day.  we call it an "Indian Summer".  it happen in the middle of winter when we get Summer weather right smack in the middle of winter.  well, I was washing her and BAM...battery dropped out faster then a blink of an eye.  2012....nearly 5 years on the OEM BMW battery.  Not too shabby