Author Topic: Blown head gasket  (Read 3314 times)

Offlinecanazei1200

Blown head gasket
    « on: 2016-01-29 09:41:47 »
    Apparently my 2012 k 1600 has blown it's head gasket.
    Went for an overtake smoke going out of the exhausts
    Stopped smoke cleared rode 5 miles to dealer.
    No loss of power no warning lights no overheating fan still worked and cut in
    Smoke was blue oil smoke
    Tech said bike had no coolant and was low on oil. Oil topped up less than 400 miles ago.
    Bike fully bmw serviced and in warranty
    Serviced 3750 miles ago showing 28250 miles on the clocks.
    Any else had this ? Hope it's not a new engine.

Offlinekeith zx

Re: Blown head gasket
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-01-29 18:32:39 »
      i have read a few reports of these symptons on the other bmw 1600k forum ,generally it was cracked pistons / rings .  you wont know the full extent till the dealer investigastes ,if i were you i would be pushing for a new engine

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-30 01:49:13 »
        2012...yep sounds really familiar.  /index.php/topic,963.msg6553.html#msg6553  I have a new engine and now she purrrs like a sleeping lion.  Check your airbox condensate drain line.  It is located just behind the metal frame by your left foot sometimes about 4" upward.  Black rubber tube with a black or red plastic plug.  if any oil comes out of it...cracked pistons!  use a small water bottle to capture it so you can give it to BMW.  Any oil at all....cracked piston skirt, oil ring or cracked piston is the only cause

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-30 01:52:26 »
          Here is a message from another 2012 owner.  he ended up getting BMW to buy his back.  I hope he does not get mad at me for pasting this:

Hi, I cannot say any thing about the problems I had with my GTL due to a court gag order. How ever there is nothing stopping my wife from disclosing information.
          Hi this is Julie, Davids wife.
          You will find a letter we sent to our Lawyer out lining the earlier problems with bike.
          It ended up with having three cracked pistons around the area of the lower piston ring. The BMW admitted that maybe this was a design error.
          The initial problem was identified as oil if the air box, now know to be from pressure build up in the crank case from cracked pistons.   
          It latter had problem with starter motor, BMW denied there was even a problem with it until David posted a film clip on you tube. BMW replaced the sprag clutch as this was supposed to be the cause of the problem. This did not fix the problem, it still did exactly the same when hot. This was never fixed. The second time we had bad vibration problems was found to be 3 missed attachment bolts holding on the complete front fairing assembly  with the remaining bolts loose. Not a nice thought having this come of at high speed

BMW ended up settling out of court buying the bike back with conditions of non disclosure and removal of you tube clips and all other social media. This was the only way we had any way of getting any result was the negative publicity we were forced to place[/font]
          Hope this is of some help with you getting yours fixed. [/font]
          If I can help any further please contact direct via email.[/font]
          Where are you located?[/font]
          Regards,[/font]
          Julie[/font]
          Bike[/font]
          28th. July 2012- Picked up new KTL1600 BMW touring bike from BMW Adelaide and 1 year extended warranty. Decided to purchase BMW as they could do servicing on Saturday mornings and that was the only time I could get to Adelaide.[/font]
          Service by Lee McPeake.[/font]
          24th. March- bike ride with friends. Started smoking on last bit of trip to Bordertown for around 15km. limped home[/font]
          25th March- Reported to roadside assist-Bike collected on 25th. March and taken to MotoAdelaide for repair. Also let them know about a bad vibration that I had reported to BMW Adelaide recently.[/font]
          28th. March (day before Good Friday) — MotoAdelaide reported that they had drained old oil, then put old oil back in and topped up, cleaned the airbox out and bike ready for pickup. I insisted they REPLACE the oil with new. Tried to tell them they needed to investigate it more but they insisted it was all ok to go. Martin the owner was blaming all the problems on Lee McPeakes servicing. Contacted BMW roadside assist and to ok the release of bike. MotoAdelaide would not leave the bike out to be collected after work by myself. Lost accommodation and Easter trip that had been planned for 3 months.[/font]
          I posted negative feedback on MotoAdelaide facebook and other social media. [/font]6th.[/font] [/font]
          April- travelled to Adelaide to collect the bike. Had to pay for repairs that should have been warranty to get bike released.$520.70 Martin the owner of MotoAdelaide was not obliging at all. On the trip back to Adelaide on 7th. April the bike started to smoke again.[/font]
          -th. [/font]
          /     April- sent video of the smoking and text to Scott Norman (tech advisor at BMW) He arranged for[/font]
          roadside assist to collect the bike and take to Southbank BMW considering the issues I had with MotoAdelaide.[/font]
          Picked up by Road side assist on 9th. April. I requested a loan bike while the problem was sorted out. Said I would be happy with a 10 year old bike as long as I could ride 2 up. They said they could not provide. Got onto BMW and the answer was the same.[/font]
          Southbank BMW cleaned out the airbox. They reported that the vibration was the main swing arm bolt and had it let go would have been a "catastrophic event". Begged them to investigate the cause of the oil in the airbox. It was only occurring at high revs and they said their issue was that they could not ride it hard enough to duplicate the problem. Suggested putting it on a dyno. They reported they did not have one but would do it if I paid for the transportation to the dyno and the cost of it. I asked them to get their mechanic to take it home with him over the weekend and test it thoroughly. This was done and approximately 120km travelled on bike.[/font]
          Bike returned week of 22nd April on open tray top utility.
           Ride organised with others on 27th. April.[/font]
             [/font]
           27th. April- set off from Bordertown on ride and only got 8 km down the road and smoking again. Went into friends house at Mundulla and left the bike there.[/font]
          28th. April- reported to roadside assist again. Contacted BMW and asked for a loan bike again. They said they had none. Southbank said they had bikes for hire so contacted BMW again. They would not provide a bike. They said they could provide a loan car. I did not need a car but decided to take it in an endeavour to make them hurry up and find out what was wrong with mine.[/font]
          3rd. May- bike collected by roadside assist and I got a lift back to Horsham to collect a hire car they had arranged for me to keep until 11th. May. Picked it up in the evening and drove back to Bordertown.[/font]
          10th. May — had email from Logan Auld in BMW offering $1000 to cover cost of repairs paid to MotoAdelaide and compensation for having to travel to Adelaide to collect the bike. Nothing for lost accommodation etc. Also asked that I stop posting on MotoAdelaide facebook page.[/font]
          11th. May- contacted Logan Auld to make sure he had notified Avis that we needed to keep the car. Had a phone call from Avis to say that no-one had advised that we needed to keep the car.[/font]
          22"d. May- Phone call from Southbank to advise problem with bike was 3 cracked pistons.[/font]
          23[/font]rd may- [/font]email from Logan after phone discussion to offer loan bike. They offered a sports bike but it sounded like not an option as they did not mention panniers and it was a far cry from the touring bike I had. Reaffirmed the $1000 payment to be made and to extend the warranty for 12 months. In return asked that negative feedback be removed from social media. I did remove it. Said payment would be made in 14 working days.[/font]
          24th. may — reply to my email to Logan was that they could not provide a R1200GS loan bike (requested by me as I was intending to purchase one and most likely would have kept it). Said they would continue to provide the hire car. I pointed out that I had purchased 12 months extended warranty for my bike and wanted the manufacturer's warranty extended by 12 months and keep my extended warranty. They said they could not give me the extended warranty but would reimburse me the cost of it.[/font]
          29[/font]th. may[/font] _ I sent Logan an email letting him know that Avis had called to say that no- one had bothered to tell them the hire car period had been extended.[/font]
          12th June- Emailed Logan to say I was requesting a new motorbike and I would seek legal advice if necessary.[/font]
          13th. June- email from Logan saying they would not provide a new bike.
           20th. June — emailed my response to his email.[/font]
             [/font] This is the 14th. week since my bike had first issue.[/font]

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-30 10:10:08 »
            Alan jeffries looking into my bike rode in on spec as was close by bike looked at by tech with 15 mins gs loan bike given to me within 30 mins no mileage limit 3 phone calls to update me looks like a full engine strip down to investigate

Said they would have a full report for me by 5pm Tuesday

I think it will be a new engine

Very odd no signs warning lights loss of power or anything

Jefferies providing good service so far

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-30 10:59:36 »
              pleased to see jefferies are sorting you out ,and pleased to hear that they give a good service ,this is my first bmw ,and it was touch and go for me to change from my zzr after reading a few posts about the 2011, 2012 models,hope it doesn't affect the newer models and the issues have been sorted , my bike will, be going in to jefferies for its first service ,it maybe a good idea to post feedback after we have had our bikes in for repairs and servicing,by different dealers ,so we should know which dealers care ,and give good service ,,just a thought ,good luck with your bike ,hopefully a new engine with no more problems.....

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                « Reply #6 on: 2016-01-30 11:09:57 »
                Sounds like a plan Keith 🍻👍😃

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-30 16:13:35 »
                  Bought a couple of bikes from them always been okay with me unlike some other dealers will let you know

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2016-01-31 16:23:48 »
                    If you can get a new tranny with the new engine that is the way to go.  The new tranny shifts a billion times smoother!  My old engine did not seem to have any loss of power but now that I have the new engine it has about 20% more acceleration

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-03 14:33:07 »
                      Spoke with Jefferies manufacturer fault engine to be rebuilt not new engine it's going to be hand built by a master tech.They are going to go through everything with me once the bikes done
                      All under warranty as the service manager said you wouldn't want the bill
                      No cost to me and I get to use a brand new gs while mine is being fixed
                      Won't effect warranty or resale value can also take out warranty again next year.

Just want it back now was sure it was going to be a new engine but no maybe because I was sp close to the dealers prevented further damage.

Will post again once bikes back with fault and repair

Thank goodness for bmw warranty and good customer service by Jefferies.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-04 02:42:32 »
                        BMW did give me a additional two year warranty on my new engine.  Sorry for all the issues.  a $30,000 motorcycle should not have such issues but at least BMW is paying the bills and the dealers are raking it in

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #11 on: 2016-02-04 12:16:37 »
                          Accepting things can go wrong on anything - it's how the fault is handled/dealt with that makes the difference.
                          Good customer service counts for everything!
                          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                            « Reply #12 on: 2016-02-04 14:49:06 »
                            Agree 100%

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #13 on: 2016-02-04 15:56:18 »
                              pleased you re getting sorted out out seems jefferies give a good service,the problem is still with bmw ,for such an expensive flagship model bike, these failures should not be happening,i have read quite a few reviews with the same problem...

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #14 on: 2016-02-04 16:20:07 »
                                Used to own a gen 1 multistrada if you read all the negative press you'd never go near one
                                Rode it for 26000 miles before it went wrong traded it as part of the deal for the k
                                These things happen
                                I've had problems of one sort or another with every bike I've owned
                                Not usually on this scale or on a bike that.cost so much though

anything