Author Topic: SCREEN REPLACEMENT  (Read 1088 times)

Offlinekeith zx

SCREEN REPLACEMENT
    « on: 2016-02-02 21:40:26 »
     i think i mentioned this before ,i get a lot of wind noise and buffeting over around 65 mph,love riding the bike as i am getting more used to it ,but the wind noise spoils the ride for me ,i think i am going to go with the z tech screen,am i right in thinking it is just a matter to undo the four screen fixings and it is a straight swop.or will i find any kind of washers / packers behind the screen brackets,thanks //

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
      Re: SCREEN REPLACEMENT
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-02-02 23:24:30 »
      Just the four screws and the two brackets.
      I have no experience with the Z tech screen, but I assume it's the same there, too.
      It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-03 02:44:10 »
        This helped to nearly eliminate the wind noise and buffering on my 2012 K16:  https://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1600GT_GTL/K1600GT_GTL_Accessories.htm

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-02-03 19:13:45 »
          When putting the screen back make sure to fasten them with 2.5 Nm of torque; which is very little.
          If you over-torque (is that a real word?) them your wind shield might start to crack at the holes the screws go through after a few miles.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-03 23:08:36 »
            Keith, have you not got your screen sorted yet?  ::)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-04 02:44:35 »
              I will try to post some pics when I reinstall mine this weekend.  I just had my screen reworked at a plastics shop.  modified two inches off the top and polished off 4 years work of road sand pits.  Looks like brand new now

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-04 15:59:33 »
                hi steve no i aint got a screen yet managed to get out for an hour yesterday ,i have only managed 220 miles due to work and weather ,problem is which screen to go for ,they can be expensive and if i buy one that doesn't work for me it will be more expense ,till i get the right one ,i think i will go for the z technik.if i remember rightly they come in at  around £170 ,,

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2016-02-04 16:45:33 »
                  hi steve no i aint got a screen yet managed to get out for an hour yesterday ,i have only managed 220 miles due to work and weather ,problem is which screen to go for ,they can be expensive and if i buy one that doesn't work for me it will be more expense ,till i get the right one ,i think i will go for the z technik.if i remember rightly they come in at around £170 ,,

Keith,

I don't know where in the country you are but if you are in the Herts/Beds/ Essex area you are welcome to try the two screens I have. One is a Calsci extra wide and high and the other is a Aeroflow for the GT in tall.
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #8 on: 2016-02-04 17:19:49 »
                    thanks very much for the offer unfortunatley i am in south shields ,out of curiosity which screen do you find the most comfortable ,i am only 5ft 8in but i am quite broad ,

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-05 01:21:46 »
                      I'm 6'3 and also very broad. The Calsci was good but the Aeroflow is better for me and is the screen of choice. I still have the Calsci sitting in the garage gathering dust.
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-05 01:23:29 »
                        Keith as I've mentioned previously, I'm 5'11" and I use the standard screen on a GT SE, not the GT Sport which has a smaller screen. Try one of those first, probably a cheaper option?