Author Topic: OIL INDICATOR  (Read 882 times)

Offlinekeith zx

OIL INDICATOR
    « on: 2016-02-05 22:27:38 »
    only managed 250 miles due to miles and weather ,just noticed tonight whilst mucking round with the settings for the sat nav v i have fitted that when i looked at the oil level indicator on the dash it is showing a  bar at the right handside of the oil can symbol,it is shaded in about 80%up its length,it used to always show the oil can symbol with ok next to it , no ok now,is this normal whilst running in the engine ?still getting used to this bike and its functions .

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: OIL INDICATOR
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-02-06 11:23:01 »
      Which oil level indicator? There is no oil level indicator that uses bars.
      The oil level can be checked with the wonder wheel : Info menu - Oil level.
      The only readings there are '---' 'OK' or 'Check!'.
      It will only say OK or Check! if certain conditions are met:
      The preconditions for the oil level check are as follows:
      1. Engine at operating temperature.
      2. Engine idling for at least ten seconds.
      3. Side stand retracted.
      4. Make sure the motorcycle is upright.

If it shows OK: Oil level is correct.
      If it shows CHECK!: Check the oil level the next time you stop for fuel.
      If it shows –––: Oil level cannot be measured (conditions as stated above not satisfied).
      « Last Edit: 2016-02-06 11:27:11 by FP-NLD »
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #2 on: 2016-02-06 11:43:28 »
        the digital oil  indicator on my bike shows an oil can with a bar at the right handside of it runnung vertically it is filled in about 80% of the way up ,it used to always say ok underneath the oil can symbol.also

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-02-06 19:42:36 »
          I see what you mean.
          The bar is part of the oil level symbol. It never changes and does not reflect the actual oil level in any way. .
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-06 20:56:01 »
            I MAYBE WRONG BUT I THOUGHT THE BAR WAS FULLY WHITE WHEN I FIRST GOT THE BIKE,I HAVE SPOKE TO JEFFERIES TO-DAY THEY HAVE ASSURED ME IT IS NORMAL AND THE ENGINE WILL USE AN AMOUNT OF OIL WHEN RUNNING IN,I HAVE BEEN KEEPING THE ENGINE REV'S TO 4000 MAX ,THEY HAVE ADVISED ME TO START TAKING IT A BIT HIGHER VARYING THE REVS ,OBVIOUSLY NOT GOING MAD,WILL BE A LOT HAPPIER WHEN I GET THE FIRST SERVICE DONE ...

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-07 00:03:39 »
              Keith, my understanding is the bike is prone to heavy oil usage. My oil level indicator displays exactly as you have described but its nowt to worry about. I've only ever had to buy additional oil once other than when it has been serviced and I was advised by Allan Jeffries as you have been that this is perfectly normal.

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-07 01:03:36 »
                thanks for that steve ,it was just with me  not being used to the bike i thought i would ask them,i i dont need to top up ,but .but like they said you will use some oil when running in and obviously a bit more than a two three or four cylinder as the k is running six cylinders.i will be going to jefferies for its first service when i can get the miles up and the weather improves ..

anything