Author Topic: Wind screen remains in high position  (Read 1246 times)

OfflineKai

Wind screen remains in high position
    « on: 2016-04-07 06:25:01 »
    The first real problem after 130 000 km on the road. After winter brake I made a test drive and this wind screen problem surfaced. So naturally I started to trace the fault and looks like the wind screen motor and limit switches are ok (including navigator dock micro switch). Motor limit switches are fed with 5V so there may be Hall elements inside which are used to control motor current direction through some logical function. Looks like 12V is missing in the motor connector. The label on motor claims 12V... The problem appears to be somewhere else than wind screen motor environment. All handlebar switches were replaced during warranty.
    Anybody know if electrical diagram is available somewhere ? Please give a hint if you have any information on the topic.

Kai

Member of Ironbutt Finland
    -Kai-   K1600GTL

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Wind screen remains in high position
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-04-07 11:30:26 »
      Kai,
      The electrical diagram of the bike is a mystery only known to BMW. Probably also has to do with the CAN bus.
      Was your screen in the high position before the winter?
      If so, did you remove or disconnect probably has to be recalibrated by the dealer.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineKai

« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-07 14:36:53 »
        Yes, I left the screen up for winter and took sat nav out. Now it refuses to move. There may be a firmware update, have to ask the service but I doubt that this is software related. Anyway I will ask for possible solution.

-Kai-
        -Kai-   K1600GTL

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
        • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
          • Homepage
        « Reply #3 on: 2016-04-07 17:39:22 »
        Its the microswitch at the lower part of the holder. Insert and take out the GPS a couple of times and see if it helps.
        Press the whole slider firmly down - after insert of gps.

** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #4 on: 2016-04-07 22:48:00 »
          Yes, I left the screen up for winter and took sat nav out. Now it refuses to move. There may be a firmware update, have to ask the service but I doubt that this is software related. Anyway I will ask for possible solution.
          -Kai-
          And did you disconnect the battery while the screen was in the up position?
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineKai

« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-08 06:12:48 »
            Yes, the screen was up while the battery was disconnected. Is there some kind of software anomaly caused by missing voltage?

-Kai-
            -Kai-   K1600GTL

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2016-04-08 08:38:36 »
              My screen stopped in the up position when the switch (l/h/s) packed in. New switch and all was good again. It could be that problem or that the screen has forgotten where it is, either way I think it's a trip to the dealers.
              2014 GTL Exclusive

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #7 on: 2016-04-08 15:38:13 »
                Yes, the screen was up while the battery was disconnected. Is there some kind of software anomaly caused by missing voltage?
                -Kai-
                I've read this several times on another K1600 forum.
                When the screen is in the up position and you disconnect the battery the screen has to be recalibrated by the dealer as the screen 'forgets' the settings. The computer assumes that the screen is in the low position when you disconnect the battery. When you connect the battery again the screen can't come down as the computer thinks it is already down (software) and it can not go further up as it already is in its highest position (mechanical).

OfflineKai

« Reply #8 on: 2016-04-09 07:42:33 »
                  I made a call to service so monday afternoon they will update firmware and the problem should go away. Its about 120 km drive to service but that is for fun anyway.
                  Looks like I have to purchase GS911 for future needs, at least to turn off the service light. I like to do oil change at home, the big service I leave to professionals.

-Kai-
                  -Kai-   K1600GTL

Offlinealstrickland55

« Reply #9 on: 2016-04-09 14:15:11 »
                    I've read this several times on another K1600 forum.
                    When the screen is in the up position and you disconnect the battery the screen has to be recalibrated by the dealer as the screen 'forgets' the settings. The computer assumes that the screen is in the low position when you disconnect the battery. When you connect the battery again the screen can't come down as the computer thinks it is already down (software) and it can not go further up as it already is in its highest position (mechanical).
                    Just curious...  You said that you disconnected the battery with the windshield in the up position. Why didn't it automatically go down when you switched off the bike?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #10 on: 2016-04-09 14:40:49 »
                      I didn't disconnect the battery. The OP did. When you remove the nav the screen goes all the way up. If you shut down the bike with the GPS compartment open the screen stays up.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk

OfflineKai

« Reply #11 on: 2016-04-11 18:42:27 »
                        Not anymore!! New firmware solved the case.

-Kai-
                        -Kai-   K1600GTL

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                          « Reply #12 on: 2016-04-11 21:13:35 »
                          Good to hear that everything is back to normal.