Author Topic: Solved: Rear caliper rubber plug - Help I shouldn't have taken this out!  (Read 692 times)

Offlinefaillar

\ I was having trouble bleeding the brakes and thought there was a second bleeder bolt under this rubber cover since front and back brakes are linked.  I removed that rubber cover.  I should not have.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I'm mostly concerned with how I get it back in; but, information about what it does might also be useful.

Thanks in advance for you help.
    « Last Edit: 2016-04-19 23:44:37 by faillar »

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      I'm not sure which rubber you are talking about.
      Can you post a picture please?
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinefaillar

Here's a view of the whole caliper taken from the web, with another zoomed in on the rubber plug.

Offlinefaillar

Solution:

The plug is hollow on the inside.  If you should pull this plug out, take the pads out and separate the whole caliper into two pieces.  Then push the plug through from the inside, using a thin metal rod, like the handle end of a dental tool (flat on the end),or something similar, on the inside to push the square end through.  Be careful not to tear it.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            Glad you got it solved.
            I checked the repair DVD but couldn't find any information on this rubber plug. Not even what it's for.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

anything