Author Topic: Dunlop Roadsmart 3  (Read 2067 times)

Offlineochmaheed

Dunlop Roadsmart 3
    « on: 2016-04-19 21:22:43 »
    Well after a never ending series of punctures  >:(  on Michelin PR 3 and 4's its time for a change. Probably just a bad run of luck but every puncture I have ever had has been in a Michelin. Never managed to actually see how long they last as after roadside repairs the tyre fitters wont repair them, fair enough as the hole is enlarged to plug it.
    So been out twice now and done 200 miles on the Dunlops, so far so good. They just get on with the job. Angel GT my fav tyre so far have a slightly heavy front steer feel but  you get used to it and the PR3 and 4 occasionally seem to squirm a bit ( and puncture)
    Have felt nothing from the Dunlops so far, they just get on with it and are unnoticeable in a good way.  Dunlop are making big claims about mileage especially from the front, time will tell how well they last.
    how much Mr BMW ?

Offlineochmaheed

Re: Dunlop Roadsmart 3
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-05-01 22:47:45 »
      Well thats  a weekend away 2 up with luggage  in the cold and wet, the roadsmart 3's did a good job, nothing to say no problems just got on with it. Well I do have one thing to say, they appear to be able to change direction if need be very quickly, which is nice if needed. Wear is still to early to say......however, maybe my imagination but there MAY be a slight sign of squaring off, think I feel a slight ridge at the rear.
      Will be used now for a few rides  out and then in 6 ish weeks a wee trip to the Hartz mountains, be better placed to comment on wear after that.
      how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-22 10:47:24 »
        Hope you had a good trip round the beautiful Hartz? How are you getting on with those Dunlops? Cheers

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-23 16:38:49 »
          I fitted the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's for a trip to Southern Spain, So far have done approx. 3k miles on them, they are working well, plenty of grip in the wet and superb in the dry, had one small slide but the road was wet and smooth, as in bald, no grip at all. My only complaint is when the temperature (ambient not bike) is warm +18c at low speeds the front wheel wobbles and bike difficult to keep in constant straight line, but I had this problem on previous K16 and was sorted with a new wheel bearing and re balance, so maybe not the tyre. Wear at the moment is good, I only ride one up, so have high expectations the tyres will last longer than 4500 miles. However I do like the Angel Gt's and will probably go back to them as I think they are a better tyre, just....

I love riding the Hartz, enjoy your trip ochmaheed
          1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-23 16:41:34 »

Thanks - good feedback.

I fitted the Dunlop Roadsmart 3's for a trip to Southern Spain, So far have done approx. 3k miles on them, they are working well, plenty of grip in the wet and superb in the dry, had one small slide but the road was wet and smooth, as in bald, no grip at all. My only complaint is when the temperature (ambient not bike) is warm +18c at low speeds the front wheel wobbles and bike difficult to keep in constant straight line, but I had this problem on previous K16 and was sorted with a new wheel bearing and re balance, so maybe not the tyre. Wear at the moment is good, I only ride one up, so have high expectations the tyres will last longer than 4500 miles. However I do like the Angel Gt's and will probably go back to them as I think they are a better tyre, just....

I love riding the Hartz, enjoy your trip ochmaheed

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #5 on: 2016-06-27 18:46:50 »
              Had a good time round the Harz mountains, my type of roads sweepy rather than the constant hairpin bends of more mountainous regions.
              The dunlops were no problem at all, wet or dry no issues.
              Thats  3000 miles on them now, the front looks like it will do another 3000, the rear I am not sure about, would reckon another 1500 but hard to say. Loads of tread left on the shoulder of tyre but the motorway miles have reduced the centre a bit.. 4500 seems to be about right for me for this bike.
              Trying to decide if the rear will last the next trip down to Landeck in Austria, then get it changed there. Think the front will last the whole trip.
              how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #6 on: 2016-06-27 18:49:26 »
                Thanks - they are being fitted as I write! Re Landeck - love that place as a base - especially this hotel https://www.hotel-enzian.com/.

Enjoy

OfflineJim

« Reply #7 on: 2016-06-27 20:29:10 »
                  Re Landeck. Agree a great base and the Enzian is a superb hotel. Many a great holiday spent there.
                  2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #8 on: 2016-06-28 15:51:41 »
                    Yes its the Hotel Enzian I am staying in, 2nd time for me. Very handy with Didi ? the mechanic being there in the evenings for tyres and anything else.
                    how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineJim

« Reply #9 on: 2016-06-28 21:30:02 »
                      Ochmaheed, enjoy your time in Austria and the Enzian. Grab yourself one of their great tea shirts, they are of great quality and you should get a discount being a resident
                      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #10 on: 2016-07-06 12:26:59 »
                        Just adding a +1 for the Dunlop RoadSmart 3. I love them. They look nice too. :) Riding them hard on a GTL-E. 10K km or more is no exception.

I have finished about 7 sets of RoadSmart 2 before the 3, and they also didn't disappoint!

Offlinealstrickland55

« Reply #11 on: 2016-07-07 12:04:19 »
                          For you guys who used the Dunlop and Angels, did you get about the same milage? I would really like to find a tire that I can get more than 3500 miles on. I ride 95% of the time 2-up in twisties.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #12 on: 2016-07-07 12:32:23 »
                            I got my brain in a twist - I didn't fit the Dunlops in the end but rather the Michelin PR4 GT's. They are clearly much better than the Bridgestones that came off but a lot of that was because the old rear was squared off a lot. Nice clean balanced line round bends now.

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #13 on: 2016-07-07 16:52:46 »
                              The roadsmart 3's are squaring of now so an occasional slight weave happening, just about 3000 miles on them now. So they are staying on for 1st part of next trip and I hope they make it the 1300 ish miles to the hotel where I have a set of AngelGT's waiting to be fitted.
                              So milage looks like it will be about 4300-4500 front and back which looks like being 1000 miles short on what I did on the angelgt's I had some time ago.
                              how much Mr BMW ?

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #14 on: 2016-08-08 21:44:30 »
                                Back from trip to Austria. The roadsmart 3's made it down with no problems, 4650 on them with easily 1000 miles at least left on them. As this would not be enough to get back home I had ordered a set o tyres to be fitted at the Hotel Enzian by the mechanic who has a small workshop there. Wee bit expensive but for piece of mind it was worth it. Didi the mechanic there is worth his weight in gold, had a wee overheating issue and he checked bike over when there, could find nothing wrong so a good blast of radiator seemed to cure the problem.
                                Oh and Jim, got a free t-shirt when there, so not bad.
                                how much Mr BMW ?

anything