Author Topic: New to BMW  (Read 826 times)

Offlinejimmc6

New to BMW
    « on: 2016-04-24 08:24:28 »
    Hi guys just received my first BMW (K1600gtle 2011) 21/04/16. I have moved from a zzr1400 getting older bones ache far too easily on longer journeys now. Things I have noticed so far which is a downside on the k16 is at low speed crawling pace the front end feels very light and hard to control in straight line even with trail braking. Maybe just needing a little practice as its a total different riding position than what I've been used to for the last 15 years also different type of suspension on the front. The windscreen at the lowest position my eye level is right on the top lip of screen which actually obscures my view. Got another screen ordered hopefully fixes this problem. One little niggle but not a real problem with all the wind protection which is good on legs and body why is there so little protection for hands good job heated grips work well. The last thing that I find is that there is low pressure on the front of body/head but a lot of pressure behind head and shoulders. This may sound I am a bit down on the bike but on the contrary I am well chuffed with it especially with all the extras when I started riding early 80's only extras I had was a spanner and a rag to clean up oil.
    That's my little introduction keep shiny side up all.
    Jimmy

Onlinekeith zx

Re: New to BMW
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-04-24 14:03:49 »
      you have done the same as me i had a long line of zzr 14's and a 14 gtr.i was starting to get a bad ache with my 2015 performance sport,saw a picture of the new cosmic blue 16 and wanted one,i was very dubiuos at first due to the bad reports i had heard about the  earlier defects the bike might inherit,i took a while to get used to the gearbox,totally silent when cold .but when the oil warms up i do get the occsional klunck,but you just get used to it ,over 3500 revs no problem,dropping down give it a blip and its ok,it took  while to get used to going round the corners smoothly , ,its just the change of the riding position, corners great, i ditched the gt screen .got the  technik v stream ,a big difference,problem now is you dont realise how fast you are going as it is so smooth and quite with the new screen.
      you knew you were hoping on with the zzr but you dont realise it on the 16, 1200 miles now and still very happy with the 16..

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-24 21:48:39 »
        Welcome to the mad house. Never had a Kwack, I was and still am a big fan of the Yamaha FJR1300 having had 2 of them and still have 1. Both the good lady and myself ware feeling a bit on the sore side after a day's riding the FJR so in 2011 got a GTLE, loved the bike a lot but it did come with nearly every problem reported on forums I.E. Switches, wrong dip stick, etc etc, although each and every problem was fixed under warranty. Flash forward to 2014 and I went a run out in the car and called in to Douglas Park Motorrad who happened to have an Exclusive in the showroom, that was it, I fell in love with it and bought it there and then. To me it is a little smoother on the drive line and a few more toys but other than that it's preaty much of a muchness with the previous one aperture from colour, the 2011 was dark blue and of course the Exclusive is white which I love.
        We are now much more comfortable and can ride all day, day after day and get off feeling good, am sure you will soon get used to the big K as stated earlier just learn to blip the throttle on down shifts and on the up shifts, well it depends on how you are riding, while pottering about I change up at around 2000 - 2500 RPM and it pulled like a train and drops into gear most times without a clunk, just got to be quick with the change.
        Anyway enough of me rattling on. Hope the weather improves for you and I may see you out and about.
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-04-25 16:49:23 »
          I've still got my GTR but the K1600 is slowly working its charm on me.

Just relax enjoy and let the bike take the strain.  It all seems to come together without you noticing. No big top end rush just average speeds on a trip that are nearly as high as your max trip velocity.   Plus all day comfort 😃

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2016-04-26 09:40:57 »
            Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.
            The only Kawa I ever had was a 350 3-cylinder 2-stroke; long ago. It was the first bike I could afford and bought it even before I had my driving licence (Mum wasn't happy). I turned out to be more of a touring type so sold it after about 9 months.
            Many safe and happy miles.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-26 18:30:01 »
              I,m yet another ex ZZR1400 owner and ,for me it's the weight of the K1600 at slow speed that I feel the most, other than that it ticked all my boxes after ZZR ownership, but I do miss the sheer acceleration it gave.

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #6 on: 2016-04-26 19:33:35 »
                yes I think we all like kwaks I started on a kh250 in the 70
                to old now I did try a gtle but the bars come back I bit more then my gt it make slow speed better
                the gtle rides at slow speed like the k1200lt I had  still got my loved 16 gt

Offlinegary45

« Reply #7 on: 2016-04-26 23:28:55 »
                  I put the low BMW windshield on my GTL and am happy with it versus the stock windshield, reminds me of my K1100
                  Gary

anything