Author Topic: Garmin 660 v Nav iv.  (Read 1674 times)

OfflineCammy

Garmin 660 v Nav iv.
    « on: 2016-05-01 19:06:01 »
    Hi. I am new on here and will be collecting my first K1600 this weekend. Re the sat nav - does the 660 slot into the fitted BMW cradle? Both look identical and I would prefer to hard wire it to an Auto com. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks, Cammy
    Today, as all days...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Garmin 660 v Nav iv.
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-05-01 20:14:57 »
      Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum.
      Yes, the 660 fits in the dash. However, if you want to hard wire the Zumo to your Autocom, you can't do this with the BMW cradle.
      I have done excatly what you want to do and I have exchanged the BMW cradle for the original Garmin cradle. The Garmin cradle has the necessary wires to connect to Autocom set; in my case the SPA-2.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineCammy

« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-01 21:46:42 »
        Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I think that I will be going down the 660 route. It is good to be back on one of Steiner's sites, having been on the original MY-MC page, where I met loads of great folks and got some good advice. It looks like that has continued on here. Cammy
        Today, as all days...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-05-02 11:36:33 »
          ... It is good to be back on one of Steiner's sites, having been on the original MY-MC page, where I met loads of great folks and got some good advice. It looks like that has continued on here. Cammy
          I also used to be on one of Steinars earlier sites when I was riding an ST1100 ABS/TCS.  :)
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
          • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
            • Homepage
          « Reply #4 on: 2016-05-02 12:29:42 »
          And now mooved on to the R1200rt on 1200rt.com  ;)
          But nice to have you all back on line ..

STeinar
          ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineCammy

« Reply #5 on: 2016-05-18 22:30:15 »
            Hi. I decided to buy the 660 following all the comments on here and after a bit of research, but -. The bike is a 2013 SE with prep for the sat nav. The 660 fits without any problems into the BMW holder but I do not seem to be getting any power to the unit and it is running on its internal battery alone. Do I have to install the Garmin mount or am I doing something else wrong? Thanks, Cammy
            Today, as all days...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #6 on: 2016-05-19 17:51:32 »
              The Zumo 660 should use the bike's power when in the BMW cradle. I know mine did before I switched the cradles.
              Maybe try cleaning the contacts on the bike?

OfflineJim

« Reply #7 on: 2016-05-19 18:20:43 »
                The Zumo 660 works in the BMW cradle without the wheel functions which is not a big deal for me. When I purchased my first GTL I asked the salesman if the 660 would fit and work ion this bike and the answer was no, you need the then Nav1V. First thing I did when I got the bike home was to fit the 660 to the bike, it worked straight away. The same 660 is now fitted to my Exclusive, the appeture is a little larger but fits as if it was ment to be there. Clean the contacts and all should be good.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCammy

« Reply #8 on: 2016-05-21 09:29:55 »
                  Frank / Jim. Thanks for your suggestion. I have cleaned the contacts but still no luck! Mounted the unit in the supplied automotive bracket and it powers up correctly. Also, when scrolling through the menu, via left bar switch, with the Garmin fitted it does not come up with a 'navigation' option. Open to all further advice / tips. Cheers.
                  Today, as all days...

OfflineJim

« Reply #9 on: 2016-05-21 23:45:01 »

Posted by: Cammy[size=0.85em]« on:Today at 09:29 »[/font][size=0.85em]
                    Insert Quote[/r]
                    • [/size][/font][/l]
                      Frank / Jim. Thanks for your suggestion. I have cleaned the contacts but still no luck! Mounted the unit in the supplied automotive bracket and it powers up correctly. Also, when scrolling through the menu, via left bar switch, with the Garmin fitted it does not come up with a 'navigation' option. Open to all further advice / tips. Cheers.
                      With the 660 fitted you should get the navigation options come up on the screen, it's just that you can't do anything with them, for that you need the BMW specific Nav 1V or V. The 660 should work by using the touch screen on the 660 as you would when fitted to any other bike.

2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #10 on: 2016-05-22 09:28:12 »
                      When I put my 660 in the bike for the first time, the bike did power it up and did recognise that there was a nav present.
                      I could see the option "Navigation" in the main menu but that was all. Pushing or turning the wonder wheel didn't do anything.
                      Since your nav isn't powered by the bike and you can't see the Navigation option my guess is that the navigation option is not activated in the bike's computer. I.e. something has gone wrong in the installation of the "preparation for navigation option". Only the dealer can check this for you by connecting it to the mothership in Munich.

OfflineJim

« Reply #11 on: 2016-05-22 10:23:26 »
                        Got to agree with FP-NLD. Should be able to see navigation option. Dealer it is for you I am afraid.
                        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCammy

« Reply #12 on: 2016-05-22 11:44:52 »
                          Thanks again guys. Not the answer I was hoping for but at least it is not operator error! Will give the local dealer a call on Monday morning and keep you informed of how I get on. Cheers.

Today, as all days...

OfflineCammy

« Reply #13 on: 2016-05-23 20:05:17 »
                            Phoned the dealer today - Parks, East Kilbride - who can look at it on Sat 11/06 (I work Mon -Fri) and could not make it any other time. They are offering to run some diagnostics on the bike and try the Garmin in one of their K16's. Will need to wait and see. They did suggest that the Garmin will NOT work due to the Can Bus system! I can see me just changing the mount to the Garmin one. 
                            Today, as all days...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #14 on: 2016-05-23 20:48:43 »
                              ..... They did suggest that the Garmin will NOT work due to the Can Bus system! I can see me just changing the mount to the Garmin one.
                              Depends what they mean by "will not work".
                              If they mean the Nav will not power up on the bike's power: they are wrong.
                              If they mean you can't use the functions of the wonder wheel: they are right.
                              As I said earlier I changed the BMW cradle for the Garmin cradle. Not because of power issues but because I wanted to hard wire it to my Autocom set.