Author Topic: Looking to buy a K1600  (Read 592 times)

Offlinejonb

Looking to buy a K1600
    « on: 2016-05-02 20:56:07 »
    Hi All
    Just joined the forum and would appreciate some advice.
    I have owned my 2004 GS 1200 for ten very trouble free years ( 58K ) and am looking to change it in the next month or so.
    Test rode a K1600 and was very impressed with the ride and the equipment.
    However the more I look into the K1600 I am finding there can be a lot of issues ( very expensive one's if not warranted ) with the bike.
    The posts about oil in the air box and the piston damage made me wince and it's not even my bike !
    So to the point , (at last) are the post 2013 bikes more reliable ? or are the issues I have read about not that common ?
    Regards
    Jon

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Looking to buy a K1600
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-05-02 21:08:17 »
      Jon,
      Welcome to the forum.
      As for issues. Always remember that for everyone writing about an issue there are thousands that do not have this - or any other - issue. So it always looks worse that it is.
      That said: I do take the ones that have had issues seriousy and something has to be done about it. It is not so much that there is an issue (although it can be annoying) it is more the way your dealer handles it.
      I have one of the earliest K1600 (built in Feb 2011) and apart from new switch clusters I have had no issues whatsoever. And even the switch clusters were replaced for free although the bike was 4.5  years old then.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinejonb

« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-02 21:35:28 »
        Thanks for the reply FP

Fully appreciate your comments, my local dealer (who I have a good relationship with) told me they had not seen any major problems, just the odd water pump on early models and a front set of wheel bearings, these to me are nothing to worry about.

The 2 year warranty on used models does inspire confidence though.

Regards

Jon

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2016-05-03 00:34:20 »
          hi I under stand your concern's I now am on my 3rd k1600gt apart from a corrosion on one engine that was replaced by BMW the only other fault was a small weep from a timing casing
          I ride my bikes hard but I do keep on top of the cleaning
          I think any thing that man made can go wrong
          the 1st gen k1600 had a notch gear box
          I just got back from a hard 2000k ride and it never missed a beat
          2013 on is OK in my book enjoy  life to short   

OfflineVJohan

« Reply #4 on: 2016-05-03 11:07:40 »
            hello Jon,

I can fully understand that you are a bit concerned when you read all the issues that can occur.
            Bought mine last year, a 2013 model with 24500 km on it. The dealer gave me 2 years warranty! That gave me a little confidence in the bike and dealer.
            Reading all the problems in this forum is not that good for the hart! You start to wonder if there are good bikes.
            Apart of the clunky gearbox is it a dream to ride. Lots of horsepower and torques like a truck!

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
              « Reply #5 on: 2016-05-04 00:51:03 »
              The more I ride mine the more and more I enjoy it 😃

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                « Reply #6 on: 2016-05-05 23:52:30 »
                My 2013 gtl has only had front wheel bearings renewed in 22,000 miles so far. Will not hesitate to trade in for a new one later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just enjoy it!

anything