Author Topic: Potential owner!  (Read 1224 times)

Offlinestu_m

Potential owner!
    « on: 2016-06-10 22:06:22 »
    Hi all

I'm Stu from the UK (Hull if anyone knows it)

I am looking at the possibility of getting a newer bike I currently have an FJR and the replacement is a toss up between the newer FJR, GTR1400 or the K1600

Has anyone had experience of these 3 bikes and can offer some comparisons? I know you may be a little biased seen as though its a K1600 forum!

I mainly ride two up with the wife and do a few trips a year not big trips mins usually weekends away with maybe the odd trip abroad

I find the FJR OK but it just doesn't do it for me! there is something missing and I can't put my finger on what it is!

When I am not riding with the wife I like to speed things up a bit! I find the FJR a bit of a pig to ride on my own! how would the K1600 be in comparison?

I have also read some horror stories of pistons cracking and engines needing replacing! how common is this fault? and is it a specific model year thats worse? I wont be buying a brand new one as funds wont stretch that far something around 2012/13

I like to do my own servicing on my bikes as I have never trusted dealers! are they easy to work on and what about diagnostics? can you buy a diagnostic tool for these at a relatively good price?

Also what should I look for when buying? any other common faults that I need to be aware of

thanks in advance
    Stu

Offlinecanazei1200

Re: Potential owner!
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-06-11 01:31:28 »
      K 1600 a brilliant bike but like most Bm and I have a a few prone to failures don't believe everything you read about Bm reliability

However Bm do score very highly for customers satisfaction so when stuff goes wrong and it will they tend to sort you out and quickly.
      My 62 plate k needed a total engine rebuild  plus a new radiator sorted by Bm.
      I don't work on the bike too much for me and leave services to Bm
      I'm not sure of your mechanical skills but I'm led to believe the k is no more difficult than any other modern bike.
      It's great to ride and the engine is something else and it can be chucked about you just have to be comitted
      No probs 2 up it will laugh at it upto very high autobahn speeds
      Brakes work but I find initial feel a bit wooden
      Build quality seems ok front brake bolts rust
      Mines not too bad after a couple of winters and 21000 miles
      Tyres I get 6000 to 7000 from a rear and about 230 ish to a tank with 25 ir so miles showing left and I don't ride slowly.
      Ride modes are okay you can tell a difference
      Only use rain if it's hammering down or dynamic on dry rides
      Cruise control is very good as are heated seat and grips
      Luggage is waterproof release mechanism on side bags is a bit flimsy and don't drop it put my back out trying to pick it up
      I ride in all weather's and really like my k
      My advice buy the newest you can get warranty and give it a go
      Some really good cheap pcp deals with good milage going at the moment

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-06-11 13:16:56 »
        Also went from a FJR  to K1600 GTL back in 2011. Loved my FJRs (had 2 at same time) a 2002 and a 2006 both were good bikes, my biggest dislike was the vibration through the bars and the fact that it was basic. Sold the 2006 bike but have kept the 2002 one. Now to the K1600, my 2011 GTL was one of the first ones with nearly every fault/ problem that you got on these early bikes but I still loved it so much so when the exclusive came out I bought one trading my GTL. It has every thing and more you could ever want or dream for in gadgets, smoothest engine you can get on a motorcycle, handles really great for such a large bike, carries two with luggage in comfort, goes like s--- off a shovel from 1500 RPM. But is no sports bike. Build quality is good ( would say better than FJR). Don't do my services on it myself as I really don't have the time, all I will say is in order to change the oil you need to undo two drain bolts ( one being inside ) and the radiator need to come off to change out the spark plugs. Providing you can live with this I hear it's not any harder to work on than any other modern bike. BMW spares can be expensive but nothing on the market that would make me change its the best bike I have had and I have had a few. As I said still have my 2002 FJR but it nearly never gets used and have a little SV650 to play on but again not used that much. Get all the fun I need from the exclusive. If you go for one get as new as you can 2014 on and you should avoid all the problems off the early models plus if you buy second hand from a BMW dealer you should get a two year warranty free of charge. Best to keep extending warranty as these bikes are very expensive to repair should things go wrong.

2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-11 20:53:37 »
          my first bm after a long line of kawasaki's gtr and zzr's ,was a bit uncertain at first to change, found it to be a bit top heavy for me after my first two test rides ,but after seeing the new cosmic blue 2016 1600k i couldn't resist getting it,now showing around 1700 miles,starting to like it more and more everytime i go out on it,had a run up to scotland last week,a fantastic day and a great ride, and we were hoping on  all the way there and back ,compared to my 2010 gtr i find the k far smoother ,much more comfortable and after getting used to it ,goes around the corners  very easily....bm are now giving a two year warranty on there used bikes .  i am very glad i made the change..

Offlinestu_m

« Reply #4 on: 2016-06-11 21:45:50 »
            Thanks for the replies so far guys its all helping

How do you rate the wind protection against the FJR's and GTR's and if any of you ride with pillion what do they think?

The wife is a bit of a puff when it comes to the elements and likes to be protected! I have a Vstream screen on the FJR at the min and it does a good job as its like a barn door!

Obviously the year I get will depend on my budget I have seen a few 13 plates within my budget with reasonable mileage this is looking at a loan option from the bank rather than PCP so I may get a little newer on a PCP deal

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #5 on: 2016-06-11 22:04:58 »
              never rode the fjr  although the new fjr looks good, my gtr was bad with the standard screen for wind protection,but must admit the new 1600gt i bought with the gt screen was crap!!!i changed the screen for the v stream ,what a difference,like riding in a bubble , compared to the standard screen,problem is if you were shifting on the gtr or the zzr you knew you were going some,but it is too easy to go over the speed limits with this screen you just dont realise how fast you are going .....

Offlinestu_m

« Reply #6 on: 2016-06-11 22:19:15 »
                I have rode the new FJR and to be honest it does nothing more than my 2001 FJR! the wind protection was worse but thats due to the stock screen

Hence the reason at looking at different bikes! I dont see the point in getting another FJR that will just be the same!

OfflineJim

« Reply #7 on: 2016-06-11 23:33:53 »
                  Compared to the FJR the GTL offers far better wind protection, as for pillion my wife loves the seating position as she can see over my head wind protection for her not as good as mine unless the screen is raised high but overall she says it's much better than the FJR even with the tall wide screen fitted.
                  2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #8 on: 2016-06-13 22:56:43 »
                    Have moved to K1600 from a GTR1400 (via a Triumph Explorer). I loved the engine of the 1400 - it seems more powerful than the K1600 even though on paper it isn't. But four things made me not buy a new one and instead move to the pricier K1600. 1) riding position - even with bar risers, my hips killed me after a few hours whereas with the BMW I have no pains at all 2) turning - the GTR is undeniably ponderous entering a corner and finds it difficult to hold the line - the K1600 is like a sports bike by comparison 3) lack of cruise control on the 1400 (I know people say you can retrofit - but I reckon the insurance risk of this is not inconsiderable),4) manual suspension setup. GTR1400 is a great bike, but dated - crumbs, the new K1600's even have cornering ABS - the GTR can never have these with its non-ride by wire and dated electronics.

Offlinestu_m

« Reply #9 on: 2016-06-14 17:26:03 »
                      I think its safe to say that the GTR needs a major update!

I haven't ridden a GTR and from what I have been reading I may not even bother!

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2016-06-14 19:54:40 »
                        I think its safe to say that the GTR needs a major update!
                        I haven't ridden a GTR and from what I have been reading I may not even bother!
                        Didn't they just upgrade it in 2015?
                        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinestu_m

« Reply #11 on: 2016-06-14 23:31:57 »
                          Didn't they just upgrade it in 2015?

Yes they did

But I mean major update to keep up with the competition ie electric adjustable suspension and things like that

anything