Author Topic: Metzeler Z8's  (Read 678 times)

OfflineBob S

Metzeler Z8's
    « on: 2016-06-25 13:14:03 »
    My second K1600 had these fitted when I picked it up, with the rear being the C spec stiffer sidewall version. I had read the horror stories about them, how they were going down to the cords with no warning whatsoever and kept a close eye on them. They lasted very well, with the rear being replaced after 6500 miles (and no sign of cord showing through as I replaced them when they were down to the wear bars) and the front lasting 7500 miles. I replaced them almost like for like, with the M spec on the front and the O spec on the rear. The front lasted 7600 miles and the rear has just been replaced at just over 7000 miles. It still has 1 mm above the wear bar, but I am off to Motorrad Days in Garmisch next week and I am not going to mess about changing tyres en route.

They have worked well on the bike, I have had no grip problems with them in all conditions. They seem to be a much maligned tyre but my personal experience has been good.

I am trying the PR4GT's to see how they fare. I hope they are better than the PR3's that I fitted to my first K1600, as they didn't last well at all.
    2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineJim

Re: Metzeler Z8's
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-06-26 09:36:57 »
      Got to agree, have just replaced my tyres with Z8s again. Getting similar mileage out of mine, also change just before reaches the wear bars.
      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
        « Reply #2 on: 2016-06-26 20:42:51 »
        Same here - fourth set of Z8s. Tried Dunlops in between - minimally higher mileage, but grip on twisty roads is better with Metzler IMO.
        It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2016-06-27 23:55:32 »
          Pleased to hear I am not the only one who likes this tyres. They got such a bad press on the yank forums, but I suspect a lot of that is down to how they run their tyres there. My understanding is they don't have the same laws regarding minimum tread depth over there.
          2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #4 on: 2016-08-08 21:37:04 »
            Just been on a big euro tour, 4 k1600GTL's. One guy had to replace his rear z8 with 3900 miles on worn down to the wire. Same mileage as I got out of my z8 when it too went to the wire. However one guy replaced his on tour, it had done 5000 miles and had a small amount left.
            how much Mr BMW ?