Author Topic: K1600 Engine Oil Consumption  (Read 2318 times)

OfflineLippy

K1600 Engine Oil Consumption
    « on: 2016-07-15 17:44:41 »
    Hi,
    I've only had my GTL for just over a month and covered just a little under 1,700 miles. On my last ride the Check Oil Level warning came on and it took 1 litre of oil to refill back to the maximum line (carried out using the proper procedure of running engine until the fan comes on, switch off, wait a minute and check dip-stick). What I would like to know from the more experienced members is, does this amount of oil consumption seem excessive for a bike that has only 30,000 miles on the clock?
    Regards
    Lippy

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: K1600 Engine Oil Consumption
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-07-15 19:40:14 »
      Welcome to the forum.
      If you had to add a litre of oil I'm sure it was already lacking oil when you bought it.
      My bike needs about 500cc every 5000 kms.
      You have filled it up now so I suggest checking the oil level from this point onwards.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-16 02:59:13 »
        IMHO any oil loss is not good.  Check your condensate drain line.  It is located just behind the silver frame area about ankle level.  A long soft black rubber hose with a black plastic plug.  If any oil comes out of that drain line that is not a good sign.  In very high humidity areas one might get a few drops of water/mix oil.  In desert areas (IMHO) it should always be bone dry.  My 2012 has a new engine now.  The fist engine used oil like it was free.  About 2-3qts  every oil change.  If I did not keep the condensate line drained weekly the engine would bellow white smoke from the exhaust.  The old engine had 6 cracked pistons.  there is no real noticeable loss of power,,,,it just used oil like crazy.  The new engine I have nearly 15,000 miles on her and the condenaste drain line is always bone dry.  no oil loss at all period

Offline1600GTGuy

« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-25 20:09:47 »
          About 1/2 qt per 3,500 miles
          Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-25 21:46:20 »
            Wow! 1/2 qtr per 3500 miles.  Amazing that BMW can get away with this.  At 1/2 qtr per 3500 mile I would guess with about 99% accuracy that you have a crack oil ring on one or more pistons.  My old engine had 6 cracked oil rings and a couple cracked piston at the skirt.  The only way to see it was to pull the pistons out.  Again, my new engine uses ZERO oil.  None at all. 

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2016-07-25 22:24:05 »
              The oil is used to lubricate the cylinders (among other functions) so there is always a tiny bit that 'slips through', gets into the cylinder and is used.
              The combustion engine that does not use any oil at all does not exist. On your bike it's probable so little that you don't notice it between services but it does use oil.
              I usually have to add half a liter every 5000 kms and that doesn't concern me one bit.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-28 00:16:39 »
                1600GTGuy said he uses 1/2qtr every 3500 us miles.  That seems very excessive.  I do understand some oil loss but it should be barely noticeable.  I do change my oil every 500 us miles so that might be why i do not see any measurable loss.  My old engine with the cracked oil ring/pistons used about started out 1/2 qrt every 3500 miles but increased exponentially to 5qts every 5000 miles.  She was a smoker with billows of white smoke after the condensate airbox filled.   Once the airbox fills the oil goes directly into the intake from the airfilter side

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2016-07-28 10:19:40 »
                  1/2 qt every 3500 miles is about the same as 1/2 liter per 5000 kms. That's the same my bike uses and it's not  excessive. In fact it is way within the limits set by BMW.
                  If it would go up to 5 qts every 5000 miles I would start to worry.

e7navy1999 do you really change oil every 500 miles or is that a typo and should read 5000 miles?

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2016-07-28 15:19:48 »
                    opps. every 5000 miles.  I typically change my air filter every winter as well. 

OfflineDennis

« Reply #9 on: 2016-08-07 07:49:38 »
                      Hi guys this is Dennis new to this site.My 2012 gtl burns 1/2 at every 1000 us miles .and it's got 33k on the odometer.runs great no smoke I think it's the oil they make you use and the nickle hard liner just takes a long time to run in.hope anyway

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2016-08-07 15:45:14 »
                        Hi Dennis. the best way to check if you have a crack oil ring or piston: check the oil condensate drain line hose...located just inside the frame near your left ankle.  You should not get any fluid out of drain hose unless you live in an extremely humid rainy area like Seattle.  A cracked oil ring or piston forces oil into the air box located just behind the airbox under the plastic cover behind the gas tank

OfflineDennis

« Reply #11 on: 2016-08-08 01:01:54 »
                          OK I check the vent line and it took me a 1/2 hour to find it had to see it on a parts micro fish to see what I was looking for.For some reason on my bike it ended up being right by the frame rail to the right of the 6 emblem .It was clean and dry.I blew in it and seemed clear.Hoping for the oil consumption to one day get better.Funny I have an LT that has 150k on it and it burns less than the gtl .

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #12 on: 2016-08-08 13:22:55 »
                            That is a relief. You must be right.  Your rings are not seated yet.  You had better breaking that puppy in.

Offline1600GTGuy

« Reply #13 on: 2016-08-17 04:50:43 »
                              1600GTGuy said he uses 1/2qtr every 3500 us miles.  That seems very excessive.  I do understand some oil loss but it should be barely noticeable.  I do change my oil every 500 us miles so that might be why i do not see any measurable loss.  My old engine with the cracked oil ring/pistons used about started out 1/2 qrt every 3500 miles but increased exponentially to 5qts every 5000 miles.  She was a smoker with billows of white smoke after the condensate airbox filled.   Once the airbox fills the oil goes directly into the intake from the airfilter side

Correction: 1/2 litre per 3,500 miles
                              Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

OnlineBuilder

• K 1600 GT R1200GS
                                « Reply #14 on: 2016-08-20 08:32:51 »
                                Roughly how many miles till engine seats?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                No time to ride