Author Topic: I suppose I should just count myself lucky.  (Read 1268 times)

Offlineomnione

I suppose I should just count myself lucky.
    « on: 2016-08-08 00:08:13 »
    Arrived home from a ride today, heard a thudding noise which started as we were travelling past Norcross (an area near to my house) and look what I found when we arrived home.

I could not drive that in with a sledgehammer how the ****  it managed to penetrate the tyre is beyond me. There goes  £140 for a new tyre. (I only do temporary repairs to motorcycle tyres) just look at all that tread left as well.

Speaking of which, trying to turn a negative into a positive, it did give me a chance to test a puncture repair kit that we carry, it's typical really, 1,000's of miles all over Europe and the first real puncture is within a mile of home. Anyway the repair kit works so I can move the bike around the garage until the new tyre arrives and we can ride safe in the knowledge that should something similar happen on holiday we, hopefully, should not be stranded.

Offlineochmaheed

Re: I suppose I should just count myself lucky.
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-08-08 21:33:00 »
      Its amazing how stuff can get into a tyre. After loads of punctures in the last 2 years I now carry a small compressor and the same repair kit as you, it works well. Mind you thats over 7000 miles without a puncture, maybe my luck is changing or as it was always Mitchelins that punctured I have stopped using them.....only saying like .
      how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinefairweatherrider

« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-08 21:48:10 »
        ochmaheed, as a matter of interest, what compressor do you use? I can't seem for the life of me to get one to run off the Din Hella socket on the right fairing. The last ones I tried, the lights on the compressor turned on, but the actual pump wouldnt run. It's perfectly ok as it works fine off the car. Is it a voltage / amperage issue?

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-08 21:59:18 »
          Cant remember the name of the compressor , bought it off amazon,  it did come with the right connector to plug into the socket but is rated higher than the socket, so it trips the supply. I have wired a connector direct to the battery  and tuck the lead out way in the right side side cover.
          how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2016-08-08 22:41:01 »
            ochmaheed, as a matter of interest, what compressor do you use? I can't seem for the life of me to get one to run off the Din Hella socket on the right fairing. The last ones I tried, the lights on the compressor turned on, but the actual pump wouldnt run. It's perfectly ok as it works fine off the car. Is it a voltage / amperage issue?
            A compressor on the fairing outlet will never work. Especially on start up a compressor uses too much amps. The CAN bus will switch off the circuit faster than the compressor can start up.
            I added a direct connection to the battery for this; fused off course (20 amps).
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineomnione

« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-09 00:21:35 »
              I have a tiny compressor as well, I hook it up directly to the battery.

We had a rim leak once from a badly fitted tyre, the compressor worked great and enabled me to catch a ferry I would otherwise have missed. If I had relied on gas cylinders I would have not made it because I was topping up the tyre on a regular basis all the way down to the ferry in Portsmouth.

I managed to get a new tyre fitted in Bilbao, but it was not a great start to a holiday.

The moral of this story is have your tyres fitted a few weeks before your holiday and not a few days like we did.

(p.s. why does the spell checker keep saying I'm spelling tyres wrong?) :)

Offlineterry

« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-09 16:44:00 »
                I use a Halfords 12 volt motorcycle mini compressor. Had it for about 4 years and works a treat. It also always works off either of the power outlets on my GTL and does not effect the canbus at all.
                Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-10 18:49:20 »
                  had one in Scotland last week thanks to the on-board sensors I was giving a warning before it got to bad
                  I to have a mini pump from Helford's try plugging into the socket under the seat
                  don't for get to have engine running 

OfflineDeano

« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-11 15:52:30 »
                    I have a Slime compressor. Works fine off the fairing socket. OK for topping up but not enough oomph to re seat a completely flat tyre back on the rim.

PS Spellchecker will not allow tyre cos it's American. Our cousins across the pond have a different take on spelling.

OfflineK1600insycamore

« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-14 05:38:55 »
                      It's "Tires"  over hear.   :)

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Offlineterry

« Reply #10 on: 2016-09-20 18:43:52 »
                        K1600insycamore. I assume you meant "over here" and not "over Hear". We spell it tyres most probabably because we invented the languge. Just saying. :)
                        Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

anything