Author Topic: Sea sick bike  (Read 2588 times)

OfflineJim

Sea sick bike
    « on: 2016-08-14 20:27:50 »
    out a run on the bike today around Kintyre & Bute, great day out. While I was out I noticed a banging/kl unkind noise from the front of the bike when running rough bits of road, have had this noise for a while now but it seams to be getting worse, then on the ferry I hit the start button and the starter engaged, gave a pitiful try at turning the engine over then stopped (like a dead battery) at the same time lights came on on the dashboard not sure what they were as I let the starter switch go as soon as it stopped turning but a Amber strip lit up l/h/s of radio display and another light at the top of the strip. Think the bike might have been sea sick😉
    2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Sea sick bike
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-08-15 00:10:15 »
      Can you post a pic of the issue (gauges)?

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-15 00:31:43 »
        Can you post a pic of the issue (gauges)?

No afraid not. Will look up the handbook when I get a chance and see if I can identify what lights it was that came on.

Have what I call a lazy starter since it was new I.E. The starter turns and almost comes to a stop then back up to speed again and starts on occasion when hot but never came to a stop before.

Bike not due to go for a service for a while yet but may go and get it checked for fault codes, see if it happens again. As for the knocking noise from the front, well can't find anything loose or moving. Mystery
        2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-15 21:52:38 »
          I think you have 2 problems
          1 may be the top steering joint you did not say the mileage on your bike ?
          2 a worn starter clutch I had the same problem this year on my last bike in Feb.
          it puts a lot of load on the electric /as its a cambus system it set to read voltage on start up
          has your bike got keyless ignition ?

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2016-08-17 21:07:21 »
            Bike is a 2014 exclusive with 9000 mile on the clock now.

How do you check for a worn top steering joint?
            Will the fact that the dash lit up when the starter stopped mean a fault code would be logged?

I tend to agree with what you have said, just not had the time to do anything about it.

And yes it's keyless.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-20 12:58:37 »
              Went to the dealer this morning to report the problems and ask if it was safe to ride it till repaired. Was I surprised when I was told not to ride it. The bike has not yet been looked at but was told that the noise I was describing sounded like a ball joint on the steering and/or steering head bearings had gone south and may or may not collapse. Bike is now off the road, for how long I don't know. Also reported starting issue so the waiting begins as the first slot they have is 3 weeks away, hope they can better that time.

On an other note I got chatting to a guy who has a GS and had been in a few weeks prior to complain about paint coming off the engine and was starting to corrode now, BMW asked how the bike was cleaned and with what and was a pressure washer used and that pictures be taken and sent over to the mothership, they then requested further pictures in order that they could determine the condition of the bike. He was over today chasing up his complaint and has been told that a new engine wold be supplied and fitted, also he was waiting on new left hands with cluster as the horn was not working. The bike has 11000 miles on the clock and not a year old yet. In his words- not good enough for any bike but especially for the money we are paying and this guy has been riding BMWs for over 20 years
              2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-23 20:13:48 »
                I am glad in away you are safe the gtl is a lot of bike so the front joins take a lot of down forces when braking so if that went :'( well you know
                as for the paint flaking its not just the k1600 that has a problem the r1200 as well
                on a note I have had 4 k1600gt so far and had one new engine and gear box for the paint flaking
                3 bikes a go only had 18k let me know how you get on
                who is the dealer you are using
                attached is a photo of paint problem on bike

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-23 20:18:46 »
                  PS dealer supplying a lone bike this tends to speed things up ?

OfflineJim

« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-30 19:53:13 »
                    No lone bike.
                    Called the dealer yesterday and was told that they had not looked at it yet but it was booked to be looked at in the morning (today) and they would call me to let me know what they found. Got the call to tell me that the ball joints (steering) were worn, know mention of the starting problem. Told them what happened when trying to start the bike on hot start, they are going to look into it, but say they have never herd of it on a K1600, however the K1200/1300 did have a hot start issue. Let's see what they say.

Now the sore bit-cost for the ball joints repair on its own would be £600 (GB). Now very happy I went with the BMW extended warranty 😉
                    2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineJim

« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-08 19:41:13 »
                      Update for anyone interested……Called the service department today (Thursday) to find out just where they were regarding repairing my bike. Was told that they had changed the steering ball joints, however it made no difference to the play on them, so they ordered another set of ball joints and it appears to have fixed it and that they were just finishing off rebuilding the bike. As for the hot start issue I was told they could not replicate the problem so they had called BMW technical and told them of the problem, BMW told them to raise a Puma, once this is raised only then will I find out what they BMW are going to do about it if anything. The dealer wants me to leave the bike with them tI'll they get a response to the Puma. Not happy about that as the bike has been off the road for 3 weeks now, might pick the bike up so I can get som use from it before winter sets in.

Guess I will just have to wait and see what the next move will be from BMW😳
                      2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #10 on: 2016-09-08 23:12:55 »
                        The hot start issue you have is very similar to mine, and from memory have read a thread about it somewhere. Only when hot and the bike has been stopped for a very short time, when starting it appears it turns over slowly think its gonna stop but then starts. From memory on the thread somebody reckoned it was due to the very close tolerances in the engine and when hot and stopped and started again in short time the engine is "tight".
                        Not sure if that is the answer or not but mine has done it off and on for 3 years now, has 29,000 miles on it and still occasionally does it  but has never actually failed to start.
                        how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineJim

« Reply #11 on: 2016-09-08 23:38:11 »
                          he hot start issue you have is very similar to mine, and from memory have read a thread about it somewhere. Only when hot and the bike has been stopped for a very short time, when starting it appears it turns over slowly think its gonna stop but then starts. From memory on the thread somebody reckoned it was due to the very close tolerances in the engine and when hot and stopped and started again in short time the engine is "tight".Not sure if that is the answer or not but mine has done it off and on for 3 years now, has 29,000 miles on it and still occasionally does it  but has never actually failed to start.

The K1300s had a hot start issue & BMW put it down to the need for a heavier cable to the starter motor I believe 🤔 but I really don't know what the answer is on the 1600s. Am on my second K1600 and both have had the same issue and like yourself always started up till now. Whatever it is it is not right and we deserve to have this issue corrected.
                          2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #12 on: 2016-09-09 16:56:31 »
                            I am shocked that they want you to pay for that joint replacement at 9k
                            I had mine replaced under warranty
                            if I was you I would give chandlers of Brighton and if pose ask to talk to Paul in the work shop
                            all the bmw dealers I have used in the past this is one of the top
                            he might shed some light on the subject
                            their number is 01273 426600

OfflineJim

« Reply #13 on: 2016-09-09 19:55:42 »
                              Have a extended warranty  on the bike but I have a £100 excess on it so it's costing me that amount. The bike is now 2&1/2 years old and out of manufacturers warranty.

Am based in central Scotland so every where other that the dealer I go to involves travel and I really don't have the time to do that.

Just want my bike back in full working order.
                              2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #14 on: 2016-09-10 18:18:40 »
                                you don't have to take it their 
                                its just he has had a lot to do with the k1600
                                is your dealer central in Edinburgh as I know its more gs etc. up their
                                was up at central 6weeks ago
                                I live in the south hope this helps
                                I am a engineer and I trust him he not been wrong yet