Author Topic: Overheating on slow speed  (Read 1408 times)

OfflineDaveD

Overheating on slow speed
    « on: 2016-08-29 16:45:47 »
    Hi all
    I see there is quite a bit around here on overheating and cooling systems but perhaps someone can help with what I could expect of my new (to me - 2015 reg.) K1600GTL
    My IAM observer was giving me some training / practice on slow speed manoeuvring when after about 10 mins the engine overheated (temp gauge went full red - warning light flashing).  I looked in the manual and saw the bit about idling and overheating.  Has anyone any views about whether this is 'normal'.  Fluid levels are ok, radiator is clean and I've no reason to think it is air / bleeding problem.  Also I noted the cooling fan doesn't seem to run on after the engine stops - is this normal?
    I had expected it to be ok with slow speeds.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Offlinekeith zx

Re: Overheating on slow speed
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-08-29 17:12:45 »
      i would expect the fan to come on but not the warning light ,just came in after a 200 mile run whilst stopping in traffic in towns ,as it a hot day to=day the fan cut in a few times which is what it is for ,I wouldn't expect to get  a red warning light .I would get it checked .

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-29 19:42:55 »
        These bikes don't like traveling at speeds below 20MPH, any time I have had to travel in stop go situations it's not long till the temp gauge climbs and the fan cuts in and will continue to do so until you get some speed up. Never had it climb into the red though. Take it to dealer if still in warrenty and get them to deal with it, though if your dealer is anything like mine it could be a while before they find the time to even look at it, let alone fix it😒
        2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-29 21:49:21 »
          I have a 2012 with 40,000 us miles.  never had the high temp pop up.  It is over 110 degrees somedays where I live and I do get stopped in heavy traffic for 20-30 minutes at idle.  The fan should take care of any heat issues.  My guess, partial air locked or your thermostat is stuck 1/2way in the closed position.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2016-08-29 22:54:37 »
            I had my bike 'in the red' on two occasions in 5 years. Both times is was when riding very slow/standing still in traffic jams for at least 15 minutes while it was hot outside (at least to our standards).
            The fan just isn't enough to keep the bike out of the red under those conditions. As soon as I started riding 20-25 mph again it solved itself.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinealstrickland55

« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-30 00:43:04 »
              I had this problem just last week. I took it to the dealership. They said apparently there was an air bubble. They flushed it out and it hasn't overheated again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-30 15:46:59 »
                From various stuff I have read it would appear the cooling system on this bike is right on the edge of being able to cool the bike. In slow running and hot weather it often not able to keep the temp out of the red. I had it happen 3 times when on holiday recently. mechanic at the hotel checked things out and could not find anything wrong. He is used to working on BMW's and he too said the cooling system is marginal at best. The only thing he did try was blasting the radiator with a pressure washer, after that it never happened again, might be just coincidence. It can appear the radiator is clean as its hard to check properly, I have heard of folks with a fair bit of it plugged with hardened on muck. There were 3 other K1600's on that trip and only one other got a bit hot but not full red and flashing light like mine.
                how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineDaveD

« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-30 22:11:52 »
                  Thanks guys - much appreciated.
                  I think I may have found a (the?) problem.  I had thought the rad was clean but getting in there tonight it seems only the top half is.  The bottom half is filed with crud.  Now I find I cant get the lower fairing off.  Its free except around the auxiliary / fog lights.  I assume these have to come off to remove the fairing lower side panels but the two screws that hold the lights on are small, barely accessible and are stuck solid.  Plus Gas applied tonight but I don't hold out much hope.  Anyone else had this?  The rad also seems more badly corroded than I'd expect for a newish bike.

cheers............Dave

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-31 15:35:01 »
                    I know the problem
                    if you undo the light  bracket that is bolted to the engine that will allow you to move the panel away enough
                    to get the shield away if you are lucky to clean the rad give it a good spay of corrosion guard arrowed
                    the frame before you put it back
                    PS stay upright     

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-01 02:48:03 »
                      it certainly is a poor design.  Putting the rad so close to the splatter zone of the front tire and also making the rad so difficult to spray out is all just poor design by the engineers.  The modern engineers want things to looks cold and compact but never bother with cleaning/upkeep

OfflinebagmanII

• I really hate wintertime!
                        « Reply #10 on: 2016-11-20 19:18:44 »
                        Hello,
                        I'm a newb here but have been wanting to switch from HD tourers to the K1600. I've also watched almost every video out there. Having said that, I see a lot of riding in the rain going on, which made me think of something about cooling systems and overheating that may be good info to pass on. 30+ years ago when I was in mechanics trade school, they harped on us that dirt is an excellent insulator and will not allow proper heat transfer. I remember being taught 1/4" of crud is the equivelent of 6" of cast iron in reference to heat transfer.
                        Just wanted to pass this on, currently have an air cooled, but soon I will have water cooled.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                          « Reply #11 on: 2016-11-20 21:32:47 »
                          That is indeed the reason why you shoud keep the radiator as clean as possible.
                          I know my dealer  cleans out the radiator during every 30,000 km (18,000 mi) service as the rad has to come off anyway to check the valves. It's not in the service manual but he does it nontheless.
                          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineVJohan

« Reply #12 on: 2016-12-27 12:12:51 »
                            hello everyone,

I have put on a fender extender. Keeps bike clean(er) and now dirt gets into radiator. Simple but efficient!

OfflineBluegrassPicker

« Reply #13 on: 2017-02-25 18:45:13 »
                              You may need to use the 2 bleed screws to purge air out of the system. There is one on either side. The process is easy, the right is on top of the pump on the right side, the left needs some tupperware taken off to get at the screw. do the right one while on the side stand and the left on the center stand.
                              « Last Edit: 2017-02-25 18:46:44 by BluegrassPicker »

anything