Author Topic: It had to happen  (Read 1587 times)

OfflineJim

It had to happen
    « on: 2016-09-30 19:57:43 »
    well dropped the big girl on it's side today. Damage was surprisingly little except for the pannier. Brake lever has a scratch as has the fog lamp but the pannier has a few scratches on the gold coloured section (exclusive) the white paint has not been damaged. So next question…anyone on the site know A) what the colour is called. B) any good body shops in the central belt area of Scotland.

Thanks
    2014 GTL Exclusive

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
      Re: It had to happen
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-09-30 22:18:54 »
      Glad you're ok Jim

Best of luck for paintwork ............would BMW car body shops be any good ?

Cheers

Charlie

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-09-30 22:45:29 »
        Thanks Charlie, I am fine and thankful that the damage was not worse, engine bars saved the day.
        Will give BMW dealer a shout and see what they come back with.

Have discovered the paint code it's N32 Magnesium Metallic Matte, but can only find it from ColorRite in US, not so handy lol.
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
          « Reply #3 on: 2016-09-30 23:34:43 »
          Thanks Charlie, I am fine and thankful that the damage was not worse, engine bars saved the day.
          Will give BMW dealer a shout and see what they come back with.

Have discovered the paint code it's N32 Magnesium Metallic Matte, but can only find it from ColorRite in US, not so handy lol.

If the car boys have a colour code they should be able to match if from their mixing system 😃

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-01 16:02:37 »
            just a note had the same problem only bmw seams to have the correct colour match did my top ox lid perfect match
            I did try paint suppliers but was slightly out 
            this is still a new paint code   

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-01 20:20:14 »
              Was over at the local dealer this morning and asked if they did paint repairs, they don't , they only supply new colour coded panels. The part that I need is £445 plus fitting. In fairness to him he said to call across the road to the repair centre (Douglas Park) it's BMW approved where he is sure they could fix it a lot cheaper. Sure hope so. And just to make my weekend the regulator rectifier on my little SV650 Sport seems to have packed in again. So have just ordered a new one from the net. They say it comes in three,s, what next I wonder.

Will go to the repair centre and see what they can do for me, problem being getting there as my work gets in the way of the opening hours.

Thanks guys for your responses, it's appreciated
              2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-01 20:38:29 »

https://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php       

try contacting rs paints excellent products , used them for the pearlescent white for a hyabusa I had perfect

OfflineJim

« Reply #7 on: 2016-10-01 21:26:24 »
                  Thanks Keith, have tried them and they don't do the colour required
                  2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlineedinburghbiker

• 2015 K1600GT SE
                    « Reply #8 on: 2016-10-10 19:06:02 »
                    If the dealer can't help you, you could try Bike Paints in Cupar, they're generally pretty good at colour matches. https://www.bikepaints.co.uk/

When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                      « Reply #9 on: 2016-10-10 22:51:55 »
                      How are you getting on with the beast Jim ?

OfflineJim

« Reply #10 on: 2016-10-11 19:49:22 »
                        Charlie, went to the dealer but they only supply new parts and panels, the one I need is £445.00 so he suggested going over to the body shop (BMW approved) with the pannier, he suggested they should be able to fix it for half that price. Have not managed to get to them yet so not really any further forward, but then not in a rush.

So the worst it will cost me £445.00 plus some of my time changing the panel.
                        2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #11 on: 2016-10-11 21:15:54 »
                          hi Jim just seen your note on the paint work I got a 2016 gt in white its a new colour
                          I court mine by the audio panel on the edge mw did a local repair but would not guarantee the match cost me £60.00 all in and you would have a hard job to fined it just gave them the panel
                          as you say the parts are a bit steep for what it is
                          hope to get owners to meet up at the same time at London bike show ref warrantee work
                          i.e. front all joints and engines
                          steve   

OfflineJim

« Reply #12 on: 2016-11-05 14:55:22 »
                            Update…Managed to find time to go to my local BMW body and spray shop this morning to show them the damage to the pannier. The guy initially said that he didn't think they could match the colour as its a matte finish but would take it through to the spray painter for his thoughts. Well he was back within a couple of mins and said it could be done and would cost £150:00 plus VAT because they needed to paint the whole of the matte colour front side and back, and would that be OK. Yes was the reply and left it at that, should be ready for next weekend.

Let's see how it turns out, but right now I am a happy bunny.
                            2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #13 on: 2016-11-06 14:24:05 »
                              I use a small paint shop i the USA.  Superior paints.  They match the paint with the BMW code and also do a visual match.  The best part is they put it in a 12 ounce spray can.  It sprays out as a power and you Then let it dry 30 minutes to 1 hour.  Once dry you fine sand and spray a second coat.   You do that a few times.  It will be a dull power and look terrible.  Now for the final clear coat.  Bam...it glosses right up and is a perfect match.  There is bound to be similar shop in the UK

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                                « Reply #14 on: 2016-11-07 02:33:30 »
                                Update…Managed to find time to go to my local BMW body and spray shop this morning to show them the damage to the pannier. The guy initially said that he didn't think they could match the colour as its a matte finish but would take it through to the spray painter for his thoughts. Well he was back within a couple of mins and said it could be done and would cost £150:00 plus VAT because they needed to paint the whole of the matte colour front side and back, and would that be OK. Yes was the reply and left it at that, should be ready for next weekend.

Let's see how it turns out, but right now I am a happy bunny.

Sounding good Jim 👍😎