Author Topic: Warranty matters  (Read 1650 times)

OfflineDaveD

Warranty matters
    « on: 2016-10-05 00:04:21 »
    Thought I'd just share some experience with my K1600GTL and the BMW warranty.

A 2015 model, my bikes done 8000 miles and its gone in for some work this week: corroded forks, corrosion and paint blistering on the cylinder head and overheating.  I took a call from the dealer tonight who said the camshaft is pitted and also needs replacing.  All a bit sad for a newish bike but...........

The dealer (Dick Lovett in Bristol) have been brilliant and the BMW warranty response has been no quibble.  They are having to fit a new cam, new cylinder head and cover, new forks and a new rad (because that's corroded too it seems).  And I get to ride a shiny GS1200 (which I wouldn't ever swop for the K16) for a week or so while they fix it.

Whilst the faults on the bike are a shame, and I don't think the overheating is sorted, it is good to see someone still properly honours warranties and a dealer that really wants to help even though they didn't sell me the bike. 

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
    • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
      • Homepage
    Re: Warranty matters
    « Reply #1 on: 2016-10-05 07:37:45 »
     Sorry to hear about your problems, but I had the same thing with my K6.
    The good taking care of from BMW - was the most important reason for getting a new BMW.
    If not - I would have gone back to Honda

** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-05 20:35:07 »
      well im not alone then my k1600gt is in at bms
      and guess what
      new ball joints new forks and its then going in for a new engine complete as if it has a casing and cly head
      its pose that paint will not match as I have been told new paint process is now used ???
      and only 5k on the clock 
      but like you say bmw warranty thank god ????? 

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-07 18:38:33 »
        just a up date on bike in for new forks and joints
        bmw are having problem's with ball joints fitting and striping the thread's
        my bike is now of the road as  forks are now on back order
        my dealer has had 2 sets forks and joints this week for my bike  >:(>:(>:(:-\
        this is new parts luckily under warranty
        no more in stock in Germany
        I love my bike but this is getting out of hand
        5000miles
        I am now on a 1200rtwc that I hate gives me a migraine after 50miles

OfflineDaveD

« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-07 22:29:41 »
          Sorry to hear that Steve.  Saw mine today in bits and looking very sad.  Waiting on Cam from Germany.  I saw the pictures of the old cam - not good!   :(

Offlinealstrickland55

« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-08 12:48:07 »
            well im not alone then my k1600gt is in at bms
            and guess what
            new ball joints new forks and its then going in for a new engine complete as if it has a casing and cly head
            its pose that paint will not match as I have been told new paint process is now used ???
            and only 5k on the clock 
            but like you say bmw warranty thank god ?????
            What were the symptoms you had that made you know something was wrong with the ball joint?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
            Bump.

I know this is a little off topic but my bike makes a little bit of knocking noise when I first start off riding. It seems to be coming from the front of the bike. There is no vibration in the handlebars. I am wondering if it could be the ball joint.
            « Last Edit: 2016-10-10 16:49:16 by alstrickland55 »

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-08 12:54:08 »
              i dont think it is acceptable for a next to new flagship model bmw  to have these sort of issues ,the bmw dealers might be giving a good after sales service, but I certainly would not be happy if I had to get these sort of issues attended to  ,think I would be asking for my money back !!!we pay enough for them they should not be having these failures ,this is what gives the bikes a bad name ,

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                « Reply #7 on: 2016-10-08 21:09:25 »
                Wouldn't disagree with you on this Keith.

It looks as if quality of components are being compromised by a net profit driven business that is living on the reputation of its passed products.

At this price point in the market we should expect premium product and build quality to match the price we are expected to pay.

To be honest this is not acceptable in today's market place.

The 1400GTR site I'm a member of is full of ex.BMW owners many of whom are serial owners of the brand who will not return to invest their money in a BMW product again !

Me.........I'm really tempted by the 2017 GT Sport 👍😃

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #8 on: 2016-10-08 21:53:56 »
                  I to am also a fan of the 2017 gt sport ,but how much will it cost ???the restyled  bodywork looks great , will have to wait till early next year to see what  price tag they put on it ,reverse gear sos function button ,software up dates ,new screen , and they charge an obscene overprice for akras's. you then have to consider the MASSIVE depreciation of your present gt sport . I am also on the gtr forum, were you have read all the banter regarding bmw ,I stand by my guns gtr owners would love to have the refinements the k 16's have, that's why they fit cruise and sat nav and other options ,if they specked a  gtr to the same spec as the k16 the gtr would probably cost more than the 16 . getting back to my first comment ,  I haven't had to go back to the dealer for  any warranty work and hope I never do , but if I had to I think I would be in touch with bmw  to voice my opinion these bikes should now be fault free they have been out 5 years or so ,if they are using inferior components on these bikes and the problems are keep repeating on several k16's  , I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a refund and reject the bike , not fit for purpose rings a bell.       

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #9 on: 2016-10-08 22:18:20 »
                    just to clear things up my bike was in for a service and it was the dealer that picked up the problem with the joints
                    and the corrosion on the forks and engine witch is good
                    my worry as a engineer is if your bike is out of warranty and you have to have a ball joint and it strips the threads in the forks that's  another £600.00 on top ?????? 
                    after 4 k1600gt I do hope bmw takes note as I do love my k
                    been on the rt1200 lone bike ( hate it ) with a passion     

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                      « Reply #10 on: 2016-10-09 01:04:21 »
                      If the bike was in its first year of production an odd teething problem can/could be expected.  But the model is well into its first cycle of production and due its first facelift.  The problems should be resolved by now.

Let's not forget that this bike has raised the level of play with the many new features found on it when launched.  The reactive headlamp would be a good example.

Love mine, warts and all. 

But that 2017 is really floating the boat and I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.  What we need to do Keith is see if we can get a better deal buying 2 😃

In answer to your comments regarding the GTR I've had to fit a gel seat lower rear foot pegs crash bars sat nav and a mellow pipe to make it comfortable.

The K16 just needed a very expensive BMW sat nav and pannier inner bags then it's ready to go its so comfortable 👍😃

PS would love Remus or Hattech exhaust systems and that's my next goodie for my K16

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #11 on: 2016-10-09 09:09:28 »

I love the sound of the hattech but not to sure about the looks and don't know how well the panniers would fit with them on, I priced them and think they were around £2000, I think the 16 is too quiet in traffic, I like to be seen and heard whilst in traffic ,but when you wind the 16 up to 6 / 70000
                        revs the sound is brilliant  , don't think you would notice much difference with the remus or even the grossly overpriced akra's ,Jefferies  are expecting the new 16 around march , but like I said before how much will my 16 have depreciated by then ????.

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                          « Reply #12 on: 2016-10-09 10:55:38 »
                          If we attack the sales staff with a pincer movement do you think we would confuse them and gain a better deal ?

Know what you mean about the hattech looks but that sound 👍

Since GBP crash so much more money than when I first looked at them

Yep when you wring the K16 neck it does sound good 😃

Roll on The arrival of 17 model year and we can both go boy toy spotting 👍

OfflineJim

« Reply #13 on: 2016-10-09 14:48:23 »
                            my worry as a engineer is if your bike is out of warranty and you have to have a ball joint and it strips the threads in the forks that's  another £600.00 on top

Sure is, just had the ball joints changed out on my 14 exclusive (9000 mile on the clock) and the bill was £600.00, that's without anything else being done. Never been so glad I have a extended warranty.

This is my second GTL I had a 2011 model which had just about every problem fault that has been reported on these forums. This I put down to it being a new model, I swapped this for a exclusive in 2014 for a few reasons, 1. I loved the looks of the bike, 2. Thought all the problems had been ironed out, to name a couple. Seems I was wrong about the problems being ironed out as I have had problems on my 2014 that I had on my 2011.

As said in a earlier post, BMW are trading on past reputation but seem to be putting profit before quality and this just is not good enough for a flagship motorcycle, it has also added to the depreciation of these bikes and that is hitting their customers twice. 

Afraid as much as I love my exclusive I will be thinking twice before I splash out on another BMW unless quality improves.
                            2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #14 on: 2016-10-09 16:03:48 »
                              a trip to the show
                              its about time all the owners got together and gave bmw a broadside
                              and remember its not just in this country that has the problems