Author Topic: Potential Adaptive headlight failure  (Read 786 times)

OfflineBig-Al

Potential Adaptive headlight failure
    « on: 2016-10-19 21:00:44 »
    From time to time I am getting the exclamation mark and a yellow indication in notification area while riding (I am not sure which one- I just realized are two indications) and the low beam headlight goes out. If I stop right away and restart the bike, problem reoccurs. If I ride for a while, and then stop and restart the bike, comes on again no problem.

Doesn't sound like the bulb...any ideas?

Thanks
    Al

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
      Re: Potential Adaptive headlight failure
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-10-19 23:08:31 »
      From time to time I am getting the exclamation mark and a yellow indication in notification area while riding (I am not sure which one- I just realized are two indications) and the low beam headlight goes out. If I stop right away and restart the bike, problem reoccurs. If I ride for a while, and then stop and restart the bike, comes on again no problem.

Doesn't sound like the bulb...any ideas?

Thanks
      Al

Welcome......I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you 😃

Offlineedinburghbiker

• 2015 K1600GT SE
        « Reply #2 on: 2016-10-20 07:39:54 »
        Get it scanned and see if there is a fault code logged?
        When life throws you a curve, lean into it!

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-20 13:43:38 »
          What year is your k16?  I purchased my own scanner ad it is worth it just to reset the maintenance light.  My last visit to the shop the tech replaced all my switches and daisy wheel.  he said it was not a recall but a factory bulletin to change them with an improved version.  Your headlight issue might be in the switch gear?  Would be worth to take her into the BMW shop for a checkout

OfflineBig-Al

« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-20 16:13:45 »
            The bike is a 2012. Hadn't thought of getting it scanned....
            Wondering if its just an intermittent. Of course waiting for it to happen again...
            Thanks

Update- I am taking to BMW San Jose tomorrow for a 'check'...Scan whatever....thanks for thoughts.

Al
            « Last Edit: 2016-10-20 22:30:34 by Big-Al »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-23 15:15:02 »
              Hey Big=al. mine is 2012 also.  I also have a new engine along with new swtches.  The first had developed 6 cracker piston/oil rings.  my k16 runs like a rocket ship now.  I wish they put in the new redesigned tranny as well because I still have the famous K1600 "clunk" but now have gotten use to it

OfflineBig-Al

« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-24 16:47:23 »
                Hey Big=al. mine is 2012 also.  I also have a new engine along with new swtches.  The first had developed 6 cracker piston/oil rings.  my k16 runs like a rocket ship now.  I wish they put in the new redesigned tranny as well because I still have the famous K1600 "clunk" but now have gotten use to it

And the water pump I hope....I hesitated to take to the dealer afyer they said the headlight assembly is $1600 and the two modules that MAY need replacing are $550 to $600.  Instead I put 220 miles on during the weekend without any recurrence of the problem.

I am going to wait and see... Thanks for all the input.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2016-10-24 21:16:41 »
                  Big-Al,
                  Just in case you started to wonder if you bought the wrong bike: yes some of them do have problems but the most important thing is how the dealer handles those problems.
                  That said; my bike is from Feb 2011 and - apart from new switch clusters replaced for free even before they started bothering me - I've had no problems whatsoever.
                  Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBig-Al

« Reply #8 on: 2016-10-25 20:20:30 »
                    Big-Al,
                    Just in case you started to wonder if you bought the wrong bike: yes some of them do have problems but the most important thing is how the dealer handles those problems.
                    That said; my bike is from Feb 2011 and - apart from new switch clusters replaced for free even before they started bothering me - I've had no problems whatsoever.

Good news is always good to hear- so thanks....my dealer is quite helpful but expensive...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2016-10-25 20:47:44 »
                      .......my dealer is quite helpful but expensive...
                      Aren't they all ? ;D
                      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)