Author Topic: What to Do  (Read 854 times)

OfflineJim

What to Do
    « on: 2016-10-23 15:30:48 »
    Sitting arguing with myself whether to change my exclusive or not for the start of next riding season. Thinking that I would like the new R1200 GSA triple black, but then I fight back with how smooth and comfortable the big K is, then I bite back at myself - yes it is big and heavy in weight and on tyres. Oh what to do!

Not sure I could live with the boxer engine (a bit lumpy!) compared to the K, also two up most of the time.

Next step I suppose is to get a test ride and see if it suits.

Not used to this, usually I have a bike that I know I want and go for it. This time I am not sure. Ahhhhhhhh.
    2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineEpcotPhil

Re: What to Do
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-10-23 15:35:57 »
      Have ridden R1100 and R1200's and just bought a K1600 GTLE for two up. Love the R1100 and R1200 for single riding. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and like the stance. But for two up, my SO is stuck looking at the back of my head.

We switched to the GTL for the stepped seat and a smoother ride. I still thing the saddle sucks for long distance and I wish it had longer seat to peg distance so we're investigating the Russell seat. And I might lower the front pegs a bit. Russell says their seat is about 1 - 2" higher so might do the trick.

Bottom line is you need about a four bike garage - Harley, 2 Beemers and perhaps a trail bike!

Best of luck in your search. Then again, why not have two?
      2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-05 15:00:02 »
        Best of luck in your search. Then again, why not have two?

Problem is I have 3 just now

1600 exclusive
        FJR 1300
        SV 650S Sport
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-08 01:22:06 »
          Sell the FJR and SV and get a GS. You know it makes sense :)
          2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-08 19:17:22 »
            Sell the FJR and SV and get a GS. You know it makes sense

Can't do that. Have had the FJR since 2002 and have a sentimental attachment to it (toured all over Europe with it, even down to the very south east of Turkey). The little SV makes me smile every time I throw my leg over it, and it takes me to work. ❤️
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
              « Reply #5 on: 2016-11-08 23:16:57 »
              May be you'll have to make a bigger harbour for the fleet of 4 Jim 😃

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-20 18:20:51 »
                May be you'll have to make a bigger harbour for the fleet of 4 Jim 😃

Used to have…K1600
                                     FJR 2006
                                     FJR 2002
                                     SV 650 Sport
                                     CBX 750
                                     Neos 50

Have thinned it down to…K1600
                                                     FJR 2002 (sentiment)
                                                     SV 650
                                                     Neos 50 (on SORN)

Not sure she who must be obeyed would be to happy if the list started to grow again.

Had a go on a GS the other day and I have to say it's not for me, not keen on the boxer engine, so the K looks like it will be staying for a while yet.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesphyrnidus

« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-25 14:52:56 »
                  I had a K1200GT, then a GSA 2007/2009/2012/2015 as these last two were stolen, I decided to try something else and after trying several BMW's I bought a K1600GT with the shield of a GTL and the topcase. Model 2015, bought this last January and now it has 25 k km on it (I only ride it for fun, to get to the work I have another bike)
                  I mostly ride one up, my wife ride is a R1200R. But occasionally she rides pillion and then she like the K better than the GSA.
                  The K has the nicer engine with a surplus of power which is making you smile. The ground clearance is however less than on the GSA, so if you ride it anywhere you run it on the ground sometimes. So my ended up with two dents in the front of the exhaust when I misjudged the hight of a curb. The K handles surprisingly well for such a big bike, but the GSA is better in the curvy's. Especially in tight hairpins.
                  The GSA has the better luggage possibilities when going on long trips and you want to carry camping gear. Also the paint on the K is more vulnerable when you strap things on it. I had to have it detailed after our summer holiday to the North Cape from the Netherlands and now the topside is covered in plastic.
                  Both bikes are handling less nicely at low speeds, the GSA because of the boxer engine which wobbles and it engages rather abruptly and the K because of the surplus of power.
                  Walking, parking etc is a bit of a hassle with both bikes. The K is very heavy, the GSA is just heavy. I'm a tall, strong Dutchie, 6,4 and 100kg but still. I dropped the GSA's several times over the years always when you don't expect it. But it doesn't cause a lot of damage when equipped with the appropriate protection. The K I dropped twice so far. Once when I had forgotten the disk lock after a night shift when my working bike was away for service and it was just to heavy when I rode it of the center stand. The second time was when refuelling on a trip in Germany, I parked to close to a pipe that protected the pump. I couldn't put my foot down and down she went. The left side step came of like it was of plastic. We had to change the steps and then I had to ride 600 km home with my right foot on the hind step. Not very much fun.
                  So all in all it just a matter of presences. I trade my bikes every 2-3 years due to excessive use and the MMS (Multiple Motorcycle Syndrome) I suffer from. I haven't decided what's next because both are great. But if I were to go on an extended camping trip, I tend to lean toward the GSA. But for mostly two up I think the K would be better.
                  Riding and diving

OnlineDavidMcK

« Reply #8 on: 2016-11-25 15:18:55 »
                    That's that sorted then, new Sport on its way.

Anyone else take the plunge yet?

anything