Author Topic: How to remove lower front fairing panels on '16 GTL with LED headlights?  (Read 991 times)

OfflineGTLman

I am looking to remove the lower front fairing panels so I can install a Rad Guard. All previous forum instructions showing removal of 3 front screws and 2 bottom screws is straight forward enough. But mine has the factory additional LED headlights with bracket protruding thru small horizontal slot in lower fairing. My question is, what is the easiest way to remove the LED light fixture or bracket so I can get the lower fairing panel off? Also, the wiring LED harness plugs into the lower back side of the light fixture, but the fit is very tight and it's not clear how to unplug the connector, which I'm guessing I'll need to do also? Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the factory lights myself but got this from another forum:

First, loosen the torx screws on the light, holding it to the mounting post on the bike.
      The connector is removed by inserting a small screwdriver through the gap at the bottom *front* of the lamp and lightly lifting the locking tab while pulling the connector to the rear ("lifting" meaning pushing the locking tab "down" if the lamp is in its upright position -- look at the connector from the rear with good light, and it will be obvious which way to push).
      Next, remove the plastic "wing" to get at the hidden torx screw securing the lower fairing. Remove other screws and you can take the lower fairing off.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGTLman

Thank you!  Yes, after posting here I found a post on the k1600forum that walked through the steps to take the lights off.  Thanks again!

Offlinekeith zx

it is easy to remove the bottom side fairing covers ,you will need to renew the cable two cable ties for the side light cablse ,no problem ,  can you tell me what rad guard you are going to fit ,are you going to remove the standard rad cover and centre stone guard /??I started to remove mine to fit a rad guard but decided to leave well alone as the bike already has the guard fitted ..I still have the polished rad guard in the garage ..but I did fit a fenda extenda ...

OfflineGTLman

Thank you on aux light removal.  I got that figured out from previous response and thread from the other forum.  I installed the Wunderlich fender extender.  I'm installing the Rad Guard (black powder coat) in-lieu of factory plastic screen and solid plastic rock plate.  I'm leaving the surround and belly plate in place.  Thanks.

Offlinekeith zx

I was going to remove the plastic stone guard as I think it would aid the cooling effect to the radiator in the summer ,but it looks like the stone guard does a good job and I thought the holes in the new polished  rad guard looked to be bigger than the holes in  standard bmw rad guard , I was scared in case a stone went through the polished rad guard and knacked me radiator , so  at present I have still not fit the polished rad guard , let me know what you think when you fit yours ,could you post a couple of pics before and after cheers ..

OfflineGTLman

Will do.  Thank you for your thoughts.  I agree with your approach, adding the fender extender and leaving the rest alone is the smartest thing to do.  My new Rad Guard is still in the mail, but judging from their website photos, I was already thinking the same thing...that the holes are bigger than the factory plastic guard.  Will see how it works!  Thanks again.