Author Topic: Winterising  (Read 1000 times)

OfflineDaveD

Winterising
    « on: 2016-11-26 11:33:18 »
    Good morning all
    Does anyone have any tips to share on winterising a K1600?
    Mine appears to have been done badly in the past (pitting on disks, corroded bolt heads etc).
    I'd like to retain the ability to take it out on the odd bright / dry day over the winter without too much faff.
    thanks

OfflineJim

Re: Winterising
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-11-26 11:55:58 »
      All I do with mine is…park up, cover, place a little tubular heater under it and start it every 4 week. Find the battery runs down to a point where it won't have enough kick to start it, and don't like leaving on a charger. Come spring and after a clean it's like new.
      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineDeano

« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-26 12:03:38 »
        Only done one winter on my K16 but last year I gave it a good seeing to before the bad weather set it. A thorough cleaning & Polish (three coats of  Auto Glym Resin polish) followed by a liberal coating of ACF 50. Did the trick & I have just repeated the process for this year. It helps if you pop the lower fairing panels off, only 4 screws each side, to get the ACF all round the engine.

OfflineDaveD

« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-26 12:06:52 »
          Thanks Jim / Deano
          Heater sounds a good idea.
          On the battery front, on previous bikes I always swore by the Optimate, I had to buy a new (canbus compatible) one for the K16 but they always kept the battery up together.
          Deano - does the ACF50 burn off hot surfaces? Leave residue?

OfflineDeano

« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-26 12:16:38 »
            ACF burns off the headers, as you would expect, but being SS not a problem. Everything else stayed peachy. Keep it off the brake discs, it does nothing for retardation until it's wiped off but may contaminate the pads. It's also brilliant for buffing up the black plastic bits.

Offline1600GTGuy

« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-27 17:42:20 »
              In Minnesota, winter lasts a long time.
              All I have been doing for years is to top it up with fuel, prop it up on the center stand, cover it and every couple of weeks give the battery a shot from a trickle charger...never had any issue or problems in the spring.
              Oh...I clean and put a coat of wax on it.
              Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-13 01:09:10 »
                Thanks Jim / Deano
                On the battery front, on previous bikes I always swore by the Optimate, I had to buy a new (canbus compatible) one for the K16 but they always kept the battery up together.

Why?  Optimate to the battery works fine?

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #7 on: 2016-12-13 18:43:29 »

Thanks Jim / Deano
                  why do you need a canbus cable for your optimate ,do you not plug direct to the battery using the supplied cable .mine is attached to the battery permanently ,that way I can also  connect other cables to it  .

OfflineDaveD

« Reply #8 on: 2016-12-15 22:31:29 »
                    Agree - my last one fitted straight to the battery but I gave it away when I sold the bike  :(

Offlineipscman

« Reply #9 on: 2016-12-28 08:14:28 »
                      The first thing I do prior to parking my K1600GTL for the winter is to go over the bike and give it a good cleaning. I look for worn or damaged parts and fix as required. Get a smart charger and plug it in. The battery will last for years if you do. Change the old oil as it will have had acids built up in it from combustion and if left unchanged over winter it can etch the bearings in the engine and cause premature wear. Finally, ensure the gasoline (petrol) is stabilized with a good fuel stabilizer such as Stabil or STP. Run the engine with the stabilizer in the tank to ensure the injection system picks it up. This will save fouling the injectors and fuel system and ensure it starts cleanly in the spring. Strongly recommend that the tank be full to minimize condensation from repeated warming and cooling of the bikes environment. Make sure the tires are off the ground so they don't flat spot and you should be good to go!

OfflineOOF

« Reply #10 on: 2016-12-28 21:41:27 »
                        Can't understand why you'd want to stop ridding in the winter, unless you have another bike and want to preserve the K1600 from road salt?

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #11 on: 2016-12-30 03:13:53 »
                          Can't understand why you'd want to stop ridding in the winter, unless you have another bike and want to preserve the K1600 from road salt?

Dropping the fecker on Ice?
                          Road Salt (sec)

I think that covers it really...

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJim

« Reply #12 on: 2016-12-30 17:09:29 »
                            Quote from: OOF on 2016-12-28  21:41:27[/b][/color]Can't understand why you'd want to stop ridding in the winter, unless you have another bike and want to preserve the K1600 from road salt?
                            [/font]

Dropping the fecker on Ice?Road Salt (sec)I think that covers it really...

Yip that covers it
                            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineOOF

« Reply #13 on: 2016-12-30 20:46:38 »
                              Re-read the OP makes more sense to me now. He's not actually parking it up for good over the winter months. Just wants to protect it when not in use.
                              Agree; best not to argue with ice on any bike let alone these whales!

anything