Author Topic: Hello and help  (Read 1397 times)

OfflineXsubmariner

Hello and help
    « on: 2016-12-07 11:12:39 »
    Hi, a new (mature) member needing some advice. A returning BMW rider now proud owner of '14' K16gtl, I have spent hours 'like most' drawing information from the WWW . Of note is the apparent high number who have experienced slow or stationary drop of their bike. I recalled my years on the then new K1200Lt and the 2 times it was on its side thanks to gravel car park and trying to reverse the bike back up a slippery inverse camber. Whereas the K12Lt had built in crash bars the K16 protection is non existent and some might say poorly vulnerable. While most crash bars I have seen spoil the bikes nice lines, should I prioritise crash bars and thereby degrade looks to save almost certain tears? If so what bars would you recommended? Thanks in advance.
    2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Hello and help
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-12-07 11:40:44 »
      Welcome to the forum.
      I would highly recommend a set of crash bars.
      Which ones? That depends. If you want some protection but do not want to 'spoil' the looks of the bike too much I would go for the original BMW bars or Illium bars. If you want more protection (like I do) I would go for the Wunderlich bars. Yes they are big but they do the job very well (don't ask me how I know :D).
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineXsubmariner

« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-07 14:40:36 »
        Thanks For the welcome, I will look up the Illium bars.
        2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

Offlinesphyrnidus

« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-07 18:31:18 »
          Welcome,
          They are called crashbars, but actually these things are drop bars. So yes they protect when you drop the bike, but not when you crash. I have the BMW bars and so far have dropped the bike twice while manoeuvring and no damage.
          I find the Ilium bars a bit more ugly than the BMW bars.
          Riding and diving

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-07 18:59:14 »
            this will help
            I fit bmw bars works a treat

OfflineXsubmariner

« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-07 19:17:22 »
              Thanks sphyrnidus, did your bike have pannier bars? Steve-med your picture suggests yours didn't and was there any damage to the panties? Thanks
              2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

OfflineBob S

« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-07 21:23:12 »

I have the Altrider bars fitted to my bike and in the last year the bike has ended up on its side three times.

1. Whilst cleaning the bike I rolled it forward whilst on the sidestand to access another part of the front wheel. The stand flipped up partially and when I put it back on the stand it fell over!!! Straight on to my GS, which then went over and fell on my car!!! Amazingly, the K1600 had no damage, apart from a scuff on the left engine bars, the GS was also virtually unscathed, with some scuffs on its engine bars and the car had a big black mark on the side from where the GS top box had struck it. When I cleaned this off the car was undamaged!!!

Lucky or what! :D

2. Forgot the disc lock was on, drove off, but not very far and it went down on the right side. Again, no damage at all.

3. Whilst on the way to work a car decided to turn right in front of me, without indicting. I struck the rear offside door and down I went. I wasn't going very fast, but I thought this time my luck had run out.

Amazingly the damage to the bike was virtually non existent. The engine bars saved the right hand side from damage, apart from some slight scuffs on the rear silencer and the front left hand fairing panel, which had made contact with the rear door of the car, was scuffed, but this polished out!!

The common feature was the Altrider bars stopped the bike from going completely over on its side and they kept the bike at an angle. This made getting the bike sunny side up very easy, and I was able to do this on my own.

The bars cost me £290 but they have already saved me far in excess of that already.
                « Last Edit: 2016-12-12 17:06:35 by Bob S »
                2012 K1600GT-SE

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #7 on: 2016-12-08 00:30:12 »
                  hi yes mine did have bmw bars
                  marks on right speaker and side case
                  road it home
                  just goes to show bars work
                  hate to think what the damage would of been without them

OfflineSimson

« Reply #8 on: 2016-12-08 12:05:03 »
                    Yes I recently dropped mine pushing it on the driveway at work. $6000 later (thanks insurance) I have a brand new bike.
                    Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

OfflineXsubmariner

« Reply #9 on: 2016-12-08 14:12:22 »
                      Thank you all for sharing your experience.. My mind is definitely leaning towards Altrider lets hope the new year brings some deals.
                      2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

Offlinesphyrnidus

« Reply #10 on: 2016-12-09 10:50:58 »
                        I have the same as Steve. The alt rider bars look the same but are connected to one another. I do not know if that offers more protection or enhances the damage. But they look okay indeed,
                        Riding and diving

Offline1600GTGuy

« Reply #11 on: 2016-12-10 17:44:43 »
                          Wunderlich bars in action. Between 5-10 MPH
                          Note that no part of the bodywork is touching the gravel.
                          Not a scratch on the paint.
                          Well worth the investment and personally I like the looks.
                          Just a tip: don't bother getting just the front bars.
                          Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

OfflineEpcotPhil

« Reply #12 on: 2016-12-11 20:06:14 »
                            Just ordered the Altrider front. Will order either the new Illium or the C4 rears. Let you know how they work (actually, I hope I don't have to find out!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #13 on: 2016-12-13 01:21:05 »
                              Get the pannier protection pads as well as engine bars
                              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineSlowgeezr

« Reply #14 on: 2017-02-14 22:56:58 »
                                I've been wondering whether to bother with crash bars, or not.  I figure since I'm paying (Too much!) for full coverage insurance, if I drop it I can have it repaired for a small deductible.  If I crash it, I'd get it replaced anyway. Plus, I don't have the extra weight, looks nor expense of the bars.  I had them on my GS, but I rode that off road a bit and it seemed more appropriate, to me.  Who knows?  I may end up with them in the future.