Author Topic: Have I made a mistake?  (Read 1697 times)

OfflineXsubmariner

Have I made a mistake?
    « on: 2016-12-16 21:12:51 »
    Since buying my "14reg" K1600gtl over a week ago I have been reading a vast amount of information in the various K16 forums and I can't help but think that once again my heart has ruled my head in choosing this bike over the "11" Honda Goldwing 1800 delux it was pitched against. Yes, during the test rides I felt the K16 was brilliant and more in keeping with my past (40+years) sports bike/tourer owner experience, whereas the Goldwing felt it belonged more to my twilight years, great and very-very comfortable.
    I am Very intolerant of unreliability and poor quality where the price paid demands better. I will certainly not be best pleased if my bike with 9k miles has any major problems before 50k given it is sold as a luxurious tourer. Happy to pay the running, service and associated costs appropriate to the bike, I would not be happy
    Spending thousands to keep the bike alive. ([size=78%]My last bmw an "02" K1200lt needed one wheel bearing replacement from new to 49k miles when I exchanged it.)[/size]
    I hope I am misinterpreting the available information and the majority of k16 owners have had no major problems with their bikes.
    My bikes 2 year bmw warranty ran our in June 16 and I only have 3 months warranty from the seller (Honda dealer) then the option for a 2 year Honda extended warranty.

Yes I did quite a lot of research and interprited the gearbox, switchgear, engine corrosion problems we're new bike issues that should have been resolved before the revamped 14 reg bikes am I wrong.
    Help- Should I exercise the Honda warranty or is there an option with BMW for extended warranties?

2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

OfflineEpcotPhil

Re: Have I made a mistake?
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-12-16 21:56:32 »
      Yes there are BMW extended warranties. I'll leave it to you to decide if it's worth it.

As far as complaints go, far more fraction of complaints make it into forums than do satisfied customers. So factor that in.

I too bought a 2014 GTLE recently after 50 years of Suzukis, Harley's and my last love - a '94 R1100rsl. Yes, the new Ultra was more comfortable; the wife said 'no way' to a Honda and my heart exploded like yours when I tried the GTL for the first time.

I'm adding bars, a Russell seat pair, a short shift mod and probably some visibility enhancements. Maybe even a Uni-go trailer!?

But every time I start the K, that turbine sound says I made the decision.

Logic can be overrated. Live long and enjoy each second!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-17 00:30:01 »
        Personally I would not own a K1600 without having a warranty.

My first GTLE I got just after they hit the shops back in 2011 and I have to say it was both the best and worst bike I have owned. Loved the looks, the power, handling and comfort. Did not like the quality of certain parts of the bike, problematic switches, engine knocking, leaking water pump and brake disks rusting. Given all that I traded in 2014 for a exclusive, have had switches replaced and a water pump replaced under warranty (2year in UK) and just had stearing ball joints replaced (9000 mile on clock) under extended warranty. Not happy that they had not got that sorted in the 3 years since launch, however I do love riding it. Been thinking about trading for an other bike for the start of next years riding season but nothing comes close to the K for me. Am 60 years young and not ready for a wing (don't think I ever will be) so I have decided to keep this one for a while yet and keep buying a extended warranty until something comes on the market that makes me feel the way I feel when I look at and ride my exclusive. The 2017 models are not different enough for me to change just yet.

So I would make sure you have a warranty and ride it. Many have really high miles on them and not had any problems at all.
        2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-18 12:20:14 »
          with al the problems this bike can have
           I will soon be on my 5th k1600gt I am just tuning 60 it put a smile so wide it blinding
          and that's what the bike is all about
          you can not fault bmw warrantee or customer service have all ways 100%
          I wonder how you would get on with washing machine warrantee
          and on the Honda point yes it will keep going but I can sit in my car and it will feel the same 8)
          happy Christmas's     

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-18 14:32:01 »
            with al the problems this bike can have I will soon be on my 5th k1600gt I am just tuning 60 it put a smile so wide it blinding and that's what the bike is all about you can not fault bmw warrantee or customer service have all ways 100%I wonder how you would get on with washing machine warranteeand on the Honda point yes it will keep going but I can sit in my car and it will feel the same happy Christmas's     

Got to agree.

When I jump on my bike I smile and transport myself to another world,

Merry Christmas all.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineEpcotPhil

« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-18 18:35:31 »
              ++. Yup! Ever since the first test ride!!
              2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineXsubmariner

« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-19 02:30:06 »
                Thank you gentlemen for you words of wisdom, I have to agree the K16 puts a big smile on your face.  It is interesting to note that you have experienced repeated repairs yet remain loyal to the bike, I wonder if this is a maturity issue and suspect younger owners might not be so forgiving.  I do sense a warranty is considered a necessary component with this bikes ownership and perhaps that is why BMW main dealers appear to be giving 2 year warranties with their used bikes.
                2014 K1600GTLE - NAV V

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #7 on: 2016-12-19 17:16:47 »
                  got it in one
                  life is to short  ;D;D;D;D;D

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #8 on: 2016-12-21 23:35:04 »
                    I have had a new short block under warranty all because of a small patch of corrosion on the area just under the cylinder head.BMW did way more than other manufacturers would and I have had nothing but good dealings with my dealership. Other than that I have had no issues with the bike and still love it.

OfflinePedro PC

« Reply #9 on: 2016-12-22 21:09:21 »
                      Hi
                      My K1600GT is 4 years old and 50,000kms all made by me.
                      The only problem I had in the first few months was on the left control button where the cruise control button started to malfunction. The dealer replaced immediately and since then I have never had any problems.
                      I remain totally satisfied and always full of will to ride my bike.
                      When I try to explain why I ride a motorcycle, for those who have never experienced no explanation is possible! for those who ride motorcycle no explanation is needed!

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #10 on: 2016-12-23 17:06:23 »
                        it is a age thing we seam to cope and deal with the problems better  and that way we are listened to
                        and get it resolved my 5th k1600gt arrives in the new year this time in black
                        ride chill enjoy
                        I do love the way this bike rides and for that I would put up with the problem's walts  and all 
                        happy Christmas's

OfflinebagmanII

• I really hate wintertime!
                          « Reply #11 on: 2016-12-30 22:29:22 »
                          Hello Everyone,
                          I just joined up here recently and I am waiting for the 17's to come out. Most of you guys here have a lot of years riding sport/tourers, so I have a question.
                          I am almost 63 and am going to switch from HD touring bikes. I have ridden a 14 GT and a 16 GTL, the GT felt awesome, I felt a connection with the bike and the road :O). The GTL was awesome but I didnt get that same connection, there was a difference. Im the type that pushes vehicles to their limits (or in this case just to my limits on a K).
                          So I have my sights on a 17 GT, would you guys in my age range  opt more for the GTL than the GT? Usually ride solo, and yes if I got a GT I would still get a top case for the interstate rides and adjust the bars/pegs (Deja Vu, did the same on my first HD). Im probably beating a dead horse here, but I'd welcome another perspective and Im already getting cabin fever from Mother Winter.
                          Thanks.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                            « Reply #12 on: 2016-12-30 23:28:47 »
                            Hello Everyone,
                            I just joined up here recently and I am waiting for the 17's to come out. Most of you guys here have a lot of years riding sport/tourers, so I have a question.
                            I am almost 63 and am going to switch from HD touring bikes. I have ridden a 14 GT and a 16 GTL, the GT felt awesome, I felt a connection with the bike and the road :O). The GTL was awesome but I didnt get that same connection, there was a difference. Im the type that pushes vehicles to their limits (or in this case just to my limits on a K).
                            So I have my sights on a 17 GT, would you guys in my age range  opt more for the GTL than the GT? Usually ride solo, and yes if I got a GT I would still get a top case for the interstate rides and adjust the bars/pegs (Deja Vu, did the same on my first HD). Im probably beating a dead horse here, but I'd welcome another perspective and Im already getting cabin fever from Mother Winter.
                            Thanks.
                            Welcome aboard.
                            I'm almost 60 and ride a GT. 5 years ago I tried the GT and the GTL. The minute I sat on the GTL I felt it would be killing for my back, so I decided for the GT. The seating position is more or less the same as my previous bike (Pan European ST1100 ABS/TCS). I have a GT with all the bells and whistles a GTL has, apart from the radio (wkich I did have on the Pan European but never used anyway). Including the original top case.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflinebagmanII

• I really hate wintertime!
                              « Reply #13 on: 2017-01-01 18:16:13 »
                              Thanks for the response, I found the GT to be very upright to me, which I understand it is designed that way for a reason. While riding on freeway I felt like I was sitting on top of the "Missile". I think I would change the bars and or relocate the pegs if it is an annoyance for long distance riding (10-14 day, 300-600 miles per day). Part of the issue is with stock seat I am 50% flatfooted, but its about the same as my non CVO Roadglide was.
                              Now on the GTL, that felt like a perfect seat/flat foot/bar position, which is about identical to my CVO Roadglide Custom. Ive had back surgery 8 years ago, and the only time I would get neck/shoulder issues was with a bad bar position. As with the HD, the K 16 has that lower back support that works for me. I just havent ridden over 30 miles yet on a K, so that is why Im worried about making a long term mistake between the two models.

OfflineDeadRedUk

« Reply #14 on: 2017-01-19 00:16:05 »
                                JUst to add the positive side had a gtl and now on a gtle and no probs with either, well except me throwing the first one down the road at 70mph and killing it

anything