Author Topic: Brake grabbing - normal or problem?  (Read 311 times)

OfflineEpcotPhil

Brake grabbing - normal or problem?
    « on: 2016-12-27 15:39:50 »
    When I apply the brakes (front had lever) I get a short burst of pulses - maybe 1/4 second - that feels like brake pad grabbing or rough spot in a rotor or maybe the ABS cutting in. After that quick b-r-r-r-p, the brakes feel normal and the shudder disappears.

At a stop light, if I roll forward and apply I can get the blips. If I roll backward and apply, no blips.

Much less effect at speeds over 20 mph but still there.

Had the dealer replace worn rear shoes. No change. Fronts look ok. 2014 used GTLE, new to me (<500 miles so far).

Dealer says 'normal': ABS engagement. Always??

Opinions....

2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineDaveD

Re: Brake grabbing - normal or problem?
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-12-27 17:31:00 »
      Same on mine.  I had the dealer check the ABS - all ok.  I did have a bit of very light pitting on the front disk - that was sorted out by the dealer but I still sense the pulsing, particularly if I use the back brake at the same time.  I never notice it if I break a little harder.

OfflineEpcotPhil

Re: Brake grabbing - normal or problem?
        « Reply #2 on: 2016-12-27 18:06:20 »
        Same on mine.  I had the dealer check the ABS - all ok.  I did have a bit of very light pitting on the front disk - that was sorted out by the dealer but I still sense the pulsing, particularly if I use the back brake at the same time.  I never notice it if I break a little harder.
        Thanks, Dave. Had ABS on my 94 R1100rsl but several generations ago.

Being a geek, I suspect all sorts of things: loose sensor wheels, loose brake disk, worn pads, crappy design...(Why should bike brakes feel 'choppy' at first when car brakes feel fine? Same company?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller