Author Topic: How to replace HID Xenon bulb?  (Read 920 times)

OfflineKai

How to replace HID Xenon bulb?
    « on: 2016-12-28 13:55:15 »
    The headlight gives signs that it is going to die. Occasional blinks and low light power. The bulb has quite a long lifespan , 141000 km now. I'm happy with that but it must be replaced before next driving season starts in three months. Looks like it is a difficult job to dismantle whole thing. BMW part costs 200+ euros but I found replacements in the range 50 - 100 € so no problem there. Are there any manuals/tips to show what to open to reach the xenon?
    -Kai-   K1600GTL

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: How to replace HID Xenon bulb?
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-12-28 20:25:26 »
      According to the service manual you have to disassemble the whole front of the bike to change the bulb.
      This is the official sequence:
      - Removing air guide for intake air pipe, right
      - Removing right hand protector
      - Removing right speaker
      - Removing air guide for intake air pipe, left
      - Removing left hand protector
      - Removing left speaker
      - Removing right mirror
      - Removing finisher of air guide, right
      - Removing top section of fairing, right
      - Removing left mirror
      - Removing finisher of air guide, left
      - Removing top section of fairing, left
      - Removing cover for instrument panel
      - Disengaging left and right windscreen holders
      - Removing top cover
      - Removing cover for windscreen adjuster
      - Removing headlight
      - After that it's just a simple bulb change. And putting everything back together again of course.
      Should be a days work.

However, on another forum someone has changed the bulb without removing the front of the bike. You do need small hands to be able to do this.
      Here is his desription of how he did it:
      1- easy part is remove the back cover (5 sec.)
      2- Remove the spring now, I put my hand between the handle bar and the left tank cover, (easier for me then from the bottom) to have more space, I unscrew the retaining clip for cable wire from the main frame. Unplug the bulb and move the wire. To remove the spring just push with your finger on the bottom parts and move to the left a bit and it will release.
      3- Remove the bulb
      4- put the new one in place
      5- Put back the spring, you have to push on the bottom parts of the spring, was not really easy but I made it

It took him about 1 hour but if he had to change another one, according to him he'd probably be able to do it in 15-20 minutes.

« Last Edit: 2016-12-28 20:27:20 by FP-NLD »
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineKai

« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-29 12:43:56 »
        I took the short instructions and after 10 minutes I had the bulb out. That was quite easy. Now I only have to clean blood stains...
        Installing may be more difficult. Luckily I have three months to do it.

The (original BMW) bulb type is Philips XenStart 35W/4300K. I ordered the same type in Finnish net shop in Lapland for 54.90€ shipping included. Probably takes till Monday to reach me because of the New Year.

HNY to everybody !!
        -Kai-   K1600GTL

OfflineKai

« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-31 11:54:53 »
          Done and tested! The most difficult part was locking the spring. Installing took some 20 mins and a few ancient but very strong Finnish words.
          Thanks for good advice.
          -Kai-   K1600GTL

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2016-12-31 17:19:27 »
            Done and tested! The most difficult part was locking the spring. Installing took some 20 mins and a few ancient but very strong Finnish words.
            Thanks for good advice.
            Glad it worked out for you.
            If you could teach us these Finnish words we will be able to do it as well when needed  ;D .
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGaunty52

« Reply #5 on: 2017-06-19 14:48:41 »
              I took the short instructions and after 10 minutes I had the bulb out. That was quite easy. Now I only have to clean blood stains...
              Installing may be more difficult. Luckily I have three months to do it.

The (original BMW) bulb type is Philips XenStart 35W/4300K. I ordered the same type in Finnish net shop in Lapland for 54.90€ shipping included. Probably takes till Monday to reach me because of the New Year.

HNY to everybody !!
              [/quote

Hi, I need some help to change my HiD xenon bulb. in the short instructions, it states, "take back cover off. 5 seconds". Well, iI have spent nearly an hour trying to get it off.  Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received  Thank you..]

anything