Author Topic: TYRE WEAR WARNING !!!  (Read 1093 times)

Offlinekeith zx

TYRE WEAR WARNING !!!
    « on: 2017-04-09 15:22:08 »
    went out yesterday did around 180 mile , cleaning the bike today and got the shock of my life when I saw the back tyre , the wire is badly exposed in the middle of the tyre, done 4700 miles on my 2015 gt sport ,pressures kept at 42 . 42.     consider myself lucky it never blew, as the tyre looked fine before I went out ..well I will be renewing both tyres now , any suggestions for new tyres , I want good grip in the corners , and like to hop on a bit in the straights , hopefully will get more than 4700 miles also ,any feedback appreciated need tyres before next weekend , thanks

Offlinekeith zx

Re: TYRE WEAR WARNING !!!
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-04-09 15:32:46 »
      couple of pics if I can load them

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
        « Reply #2 on: 2017-04-09 18:35:48 »
        4700 miles is a good average on a GT. Depending on your riding style, the road types (some roads "eat" tyres quicker) and area (more straight roads vs curvy roads),you can make 1000km more or less. With the Roadtec01 you should get slightly more miles, but no magic will happen. It's a powerful and heave bike, and if you want good grip, they have to be softer than typical Harley tyres that can double the distance, but suck on curvy roads. I'm on my 2nd Roadtec01 and I'm quite happy, but swap them after 5000 miles or so.
        It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

Offlinealaskier

« Reply #3 on: 2017-04-09 19:21:28 »
          Are you sure there's nothing rubbing against that tyre? All the wear seems to be in the centre of the tyre and the sides look hardly touched.

I have a K1300GT. Admittedly it is not as heavy as the K1600 but I just changed my tyres on 2mm tread depth on the central groove having done 12,500 miles. The previous tyres had done around 12,000 miles when I changed them. The tyres were Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's. If you buy a pair make sure they are the GT specification as the rear has a stiffer side wall so handles much better when fully loaded or carrying a pillion.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          Tony

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #4 on: 2017-04-09 19:57:05 »
            no nothing rubbing , this is apparently quite common on the tyres supplied by bmw from new ...

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #5 on: 2017-04-09 20:57:49 »
              hi Keith I remember when you got your new bike
              I have been using (o) speck on the rears as to bmw (n) are a it soft and got 6k from the rear
              might e worth a try  :o

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2017-04-09 20:58:04 »
                It's probably a Metzeler.
                I read this a lot. Apparently it is a fine tyre to ride but shows cords without any warning.
                I'll stick to PR4GT's.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #7 on: 2017-04-09 21:20:10 »

hi Keith I remember when you got your new bike
                  I have been using (o) speck on the rears as to bmw (n) are a it soft and got 6k from the rear
                  might e worth a try  :o

sorry steve can you explain that please , don't seem to understand what you are trying to say ,are you still on bmw metz tyres then or have you changed to another brand , thanks

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #8 on: 2017-04-10 00:38:39 »
                    sorry same brand just a harder compound

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #9 on: 2017-04-11 15:47:43 »
                      had two new tyres fitted today two Michelin pilot road 4 gt , will not get them scrubbed in till the weekend, saying that I will  ,be scrubbing what is left on the side wall with warm soapy water and pad , just to get all the slippy stuff off., I don't lean too far but just incase I have to I don't want it to slip form under me !!! visually looking at the pattern it looks like it will have more grip than the metz certainly more tread depth, will have to see how they go ..   

Offlinealaskier

« Reply #10 on: 2017-04-11 19:59:33 »
                        I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the PR4 tyres.
                        By the way, no need to wash the tyre with soap and water. Best way to scrub the tyre in is to enjoy yourself through the twisties then see how quickly you can get around a roundabout!!
                        Ride safe and take it easy for the first 100 miles.
                        Cheers,
                        Tony

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #11 on: 2017-04-11 20:58:36 »
                          i will obviously ride and scrub in my tyres,  but I cant get it right over to scrub all the sides in , I just wash off any left sticky stuff with warm soapy water and a pad ,just incase  one day I do  need to get it over further than  I normally do , then I wont slip it under me

OfflineBob S

« Reply #12 on: 2017-04-11 21:07:26 »
                            The OEM Metzeler Z8's on my GT lasted 6500 miles at the back and 7500 on the front, with no signs of the cord showing through when I replaced it. I fitted another set of Z8's and this time I got 7000 miles out of the rear, with 2mm tread left in the centre, and 7500 miles from the front.
                            2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #13 on: 2017-04-11 21:29:13 »
                              I think you must hold the record for the metz tyres , loads of people had the same experience I had , apparently there are around  75 posts on the other bmw 1600 forum regarding the subject, I have  only ever rode my 1600 gt one up with no luggage ...I think I am going to be much happier with the Michelins . I hope !! 

OfflineJim

« Reply #14 on: 2017-04-13 09:42:11 »
                                Am on Metz z8 and find them a great tyre rain or shine. Most of my riding is two up and I get 5/5.5kfrom them, I have never had the cords show on any tyre I just make a habit of changing them out at that mileage and all is good.

2014 GTL Exclusive

anything