Author Topic: Trading Up  (Read 936 times)

OfflineSimon B

Trading Up
    « on: 2017-06-13 16:39:30 »
    Hi Forum, I am a Newbie having signed up today.

I am keen to get views from anyone who may have traded up from a K1300S and to tap into their thoughts on how they may have found the the K1600 compared with the K1300. Having previously ridden a Honda Blackbird for many years, the K1300S seemed a not unreasonable substitute and I have not been disappointed. I have used the bike mostly for daily commutes of 150+ miles during the warmer months but would now like to get back into doing some touring which I did regularly on the Blackbird.

I like the features and comfort of the K1600 but I am in two minds about sacrificing performance and manoueverability, which I assume would be more limited compared with my present steed.

I would welcome any views.

Many thanks,

Simon

OfflineEpcotPhil

Re: Trading Up
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-06-13 16:48:38 »
      Welcome! There are lots of experts and lots of experience here so I'm sure you'll get a specific answer from someone. That said, I'd say the the K16 comes in two models with different seating positions. You might want to test ride them both; even better, rent one for a day before you plunk down a wad of bills. And you can get great savings on gently used ones with only a little shopping.

What are you wishing for more of that makes you want to trade your bike?? The clearer you are on that answer, the better your choice will be.

We wanted to leave single bike riding so sold a Harley Sportster 1200 and BMW R1100rsl to get a 2014 K1600 GTLE. Fantastic performing two up tourer!  But you have to find your own path!

Good luck, have fun!
      2014 K1600 GTLE w RDL, Betsy running lights, quick shift, custom split top case LED strip with IQ-260 Skene controller

OfflineSimon B

« Reply #2 on: 2017-06-13 16:59:52 »
        Thanks EpcotPhil, you are right to ask me the question about what is motivating my need to change; it is something that I need to be clearer on myself! Currently, it is probably a combination of wanting a change (I have had the K13 for 6 years),wanting to renew my enthusiasm for touring and there being few options in the BMW stable that I think fit the bill as a replacement.

Sage advice though, thanks!

S

OfflineSimon B

« Reply #3 on: 2017-06-15 16:40:18 »
          The lack of ex K1300 riders is at least telling me something. So what did you all ride before your current K1600?

Simon

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2017-06-15 18:03:23 »
            My previous bike was a Honda Pan European ST1100 ABS/TCS. The K1600 is my first BMW.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2017-06-15 19:22:24 »
              Started touring 2 up in 2002 & purchased a FJR for the job, 2006 got the updated FJR, then in 2011 got a fully loaded GTL my first BMW, in 2014 got a GTL exclusive which I still have. Prior to 2002 it was sport bikes.
              2014 GTL Exclusive

Onlinept52

« Reply #6 on: 2017-06-15 19:30:35 »
                Hi Simon
                My previous bike was a zzr1400 amazing bike but age has caught up with me and was suffering pain in the elbows and wrists from leaning forward so decided on a 1600gtl first BMW and love it even with the clunky tractor type transmission

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #7 on: 2017-06-15 21:07:07 »
                  sold my gtr 1400 although I found it a bit underpowered at first coming from  zzr 12 and 1400's still liked it  a lot . thought the saddle was a bit hard on my bum, think the main reason I sold it was the weight ,got another zzr 1200 , a Daytona 955 ,a busa , then went back my favourite  zzr 1400, had a couple of new zzr 1400's , but then found after around 100 miles was starting to get  aches and pains. decided to let the zzr go and get something with a bit power but more comfort, thought about the zx 1000 and another gtr , or an fjr ,all good bikes , but after a few test rides and a lot of consideration got a new k 1600gt with everything on it , make no mistake it is as heavy as a gtr ,but it  has 160 bhp . 170nm torque , and the excellent 6 cylinder , engine , I have had no problems with any of my Kawasaki's still like them, but at present would not swap the k1600 ,there is a weight issue when pushing it around in tight spaces , but riding and cornering at slow and high speeds is a pleasure, good luck with your choice,   everyone has different likes and dislikes .

OnlineCharlie747

• Charlie747
                    « Reply #8 on: 2017-06-16 00:57:03 »
                    In a forma life was a multi franchise dealer.

Returned to riding and always fancied a practical mile muncher so got my old war horse 4 years ago..........a 1400GTR.

But I stumbled upon the first K1600 GT Sport I'd seen in a friends Ducati showroom and after a test ride acquired a one owner low mileage machine now known as the old barge.

Two very different rides the K1600 all day comfortable and compitant the GTR a fun exciting hard saddled ride

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #9 on: 2017-06-16 13:54:28 »
                      I have had three K1200LT in the past and the one K1600GTL.  The K12 seating and ride comfort is far superior to the K16 comfort.  The K16 however has amazing maneuverability and massive horsepower.  For longer rides over 50 miles I would go with the K12.  If you spend an extra $1200 on a good Day Long Seat for the K16 then I would say this is your baby.  IMHO, BMW makes a terrible seat and even worse windscreen.  Change them both

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #10 on: 2017-06-16 20:36:47 »
                        you got to do it 8)
                        my list of bmw
                        are 1100rt /1200rt /k1200lt/k1200gt /k1200s/and I am on my 5th k1600gt
                        had the Hondas but I still want to feel alive and smile a lot
                        as most have mention screen is not the best I have fitted a sergeant seat
                        enjoy you cant take it with you life to short ;)
                        this will put a smile on your face

OfflineSimon B

« Reply #11 on: 2017-06-17 09:41:36 »
                          Many thanks for all your responses, it is interesting to see the journeys that you have all taken to your K1600s.

I had a test ride yesterday, lots of positives to take away but I agree with the comments that have been posted about the screen (I was on the GT Sport with the shorter screen) and the seat was uncomfortable after about an hour, not helped by the fact that I found when I got back that I was on the low seat setting. My deliberations continue...

Simon

OfflineBoyes

« Reply #12 on: 2017-06-21 08:09:12 »
                            Many thanks for all your responses, it is interesting to see the journeys that you have all taken to your K1600s.

I had a test ride yesterday, lots of positive results with hydromax xtreme to take away but I agree with the comments that have been posted about the screen (I was on the GT Sport with the shorter screen) and the seat was uncomfortable after about an hour, not helped by the fact that I found when I got back that I was on the low seat setting. My deliberations continue...

Simon

I must say that I find the seat pretty unfomfortable too on this bike.
                            « Last Edit: 2017-11-23 15:10:13 by Boyes »

anything