Author Topic: Coils  (Read 180 times)

pastreit and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offlinee7navy1999

Coils
    « on: 2017-08-26 01:18:18 »
    Has anyone had issues with their k16 coils?  I am hearing that the 2013 and newer have coil issues at 15,000 to 25,000.  BMW redesigned the coils last year as replacement but many are not under warranty.  Any comments?

Offlinestparis

Re: Coils
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-08-26 20:50:33 »

I have a 2013 GTL. I recently went on a trip that included a stop in Sturgis. When I started my trip the bike had around 9k miles on it. Before I got to Sturgis, the engine light came on and I didn't think a whole lot about it. Then the light started flashing and the engine has an obvious miss in it. I had is scanned at the dealership in Sturgis and they said the #3 coil is going bad. The service manager said he thought I should replace all 6 coils because they are known to be a problem and BMW re-designed the part. The water pump was also leaking when I had it checked. It is no longer under warranty. That is $1500 for 6 coils and a water pump without labor. I told him to replace the one bad coil and water pump. He had to overnight the parts. They didn't get there overnight and I had to move on as I had an itinerary, without getting the parts replaced.

I made a complaint with BMW about having to replace coils and water pumps on a bike with 9k miles on it. I'm not holding my breath but the complaint is pending. They had me take it to the local BMW dealership to be diagnosed there. I told BMW it came down to a Goldwing or the GTL. I am currently regretting my decision. I like the GTL but I did not want to have to deal with issues like this.

anything