Author Topic: New Gearshift Assist Pro on older Versions  (Read 404 times)

OnlineEngin33r

New Gearshift Assist Pro on older Versions
    « on: 2017-10-10 13:25:31 »
    Ok, So I've seen that the new K1600 range can finally come with BMW's own up and down quick shifter. From What I've read the engine and gearbox have basically remained unchanged since 2013. Therefore surely it would be possible to have it installed onto my 2013 SE? and if not, then why? 

I've tested their system which was on their S1000XR and the R1200Rt and it is extremely good. Flawless shifting every time. Which is why I would much rather use theirs than an aftermarket one. But should theirs not be compatible, has anyone tried the Healtech version?

Offlinesteve.med

Re: New Gearshift Assist Pro on older Versions
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-10-10 15:57:27 »
      I had a new k1600 for 2days
      and the gearbox has been updated
      I would imagine so has the ecu programing ??
      by the way did a trip to France  the other day this bike dose not need gear shift aaaaa

OnlineEngin33r

« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-11 08:20:45 »
        "Need" possibly not, But the system it incredibly pleasant to use. Do I "need" cruise control or heated seats, well no, but I enjoy them non the less. As stated, I've tried it out on some of their other bikes and it is definitely something I would like to have on mine.

So if there is no way to have their own one retrofitted, then I guess the question remains if anyone has tried the aftermarket versions?

OfflineDave W

« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-11 13:43:34 »
          You should be able to fit an after market quick shifter to go up through the gears, but to go down I would suspect will be tricker and more costly. Does your K1600 come with a slipper clutch?

OnlineEngin33r

« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-11 14:08:25 »
            You should be able to fit an after market quick shifter to go up through the gears, but to go down I would suspect will be tricker and more costly. Does your K1600 come with a slipper clutch?

Ill Be perfectly honest and say that I don't have a clue. I got mine second hand and whether or not it had a slipper clutch was never mentioned in the add. I'm going to try to go visit my BMW dealer and see what i can get out of them. I really cannot see any real reason their own one wouldn't work.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2017-10-11 15:36:47 »
              The K1600 does not have a slipper clutch. It has a so-called self-energising clutch.
              From the original press release:
              Power transmission: narrow three-shaft transmission and self-energising clutch. Torque is transmitted from the crankshaft to a 10-disc wet clutch via a straight-toothed primary drive. Here the developers paid particular attention to a low level of control force at the hand lever. This is achieved by means of a self-energising mechanism in the clutch cage. When this is active, it may cause slight movements in the clutch lever.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OnlineEngin33r

« Reply #6 on: 2017-10-11 15:46:18 »
                The K1600 does not have a slipper clutch. It has a so-called self-energising clutch.
                From the original press release:
                Power transmission: narrow three-shaft transmission and self-energising clutch. Torque is transmitted from the crankshaft to a 10-disc wet clutch via a straight-toothed primary drive. Here the developers paid particular attention to a low level of control force at the hand lever. This is achieved by means of a self-energising mechanism in the clutch cage. When this is active, it may cause slight movements in the clutch lever.

Hmm, that would make sense. Always wondered why I could feel a "pulse" in the clutch lever when rolling off the throttle
                « Last Edit: 2017-10-12 08:15:35 by Engin33r »

anything