Author Topic: tires gone in 3200 miles  (Read 1068 times)

OfflineLucky1958

• Lucky
    tires gone in 3200 miles
    « on: 2017-11-27 13:36:04 »
    Just bought a new K1600GT
    on a ride Friday with just 3200 miles the stock metzler was showing cord?????
    Dealer installed PR4 GT I hope I get better mileage
    Any input?

OfflineDurango02

Re: tires gone in 3200 miles
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-11-27 15:25:38 »
      Never heard of them going that fast unless you were doing a lot of track time.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2017-11-27 17:37:41 »
        Not only depends on how you ride but also where you ride.
        In The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany the roads ard very 'smooth'. I get more than 10,000 miles out of a set of PR4GT's.
        I've read that 5000 miles is not uncommon in the US, but 3200 is not much indeed (again depending on your riding style).
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineEngin33r

« Reply #3 on: 2017-11-29 10:19:42 »
          there are several things that could cause rapid tyre wear in the centre. Improper tyre pressure, Using dynamic mode and hard accelerating everywhere, lots of heavy breaking, Lots of heavy weight carrying, and bad or very rough road surface, are to name but few.

If you're looking for optimal mileage, then try to ride smoother. for example, use rain mode when in town or on motorways, put the bike in comfort mode, avoid braking where possible (use engine breaking instead). Essentially trying to ride economically will not only use less fuel but be gentler on your tyres.

Now obviously thats not to say never give it the bean so to speak. Going for a fast ride through the twisties is a different matter. But by calming your town and motorway riding you're going to get considerably more life out your tyres

OnlineWingy18

• K1600 gt se Kawasaki z1300 Honda cbx1000
            « Reply #4 on: 2017-11-29 11:03:14 »
            Same mileage for me, just shy of 3100mls, do a lot of two up riding though with
            luggage etc
            Have fitted PR4gt tyres now showing 1800mls, hardly any wear, and they feel more sure footed than the originals, so a good choice I think/hope
            I believe there are some new PR5 tyres coming soon I might have a look at those when they come out, providing they do the GT version of course! 8)

OfflineLucky1958

• Lucky
              « Reply #5 on: 2017-11-29 13:32:34 »
              Thx for the replies.
              metzler was no help
              Never going that way again
              Im going to ride this set of PR4GT like I stole it and see how they do

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2017-11-29 19:10:36 »
                Michelin will bring the Road 5 (not named Pilot Road any more) as a successor to the PR4 in Jan 2018. However for the GT version we will have to wait until 2019.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflinePC12driver

« Reply #7 on: 2017-12-30 21:11:48 »
                  Michelin will bring the Road 5 (not named Pilot Road any more) as a successor to the PR4 in Jan 2018. However for the GT version we will have to wait until 2019.
                  I’ll look forward to that. I’m on my 3rd set of PR4s. My Metzlers were toast at 3800.  I like the PR4s but they are a little squirmy. Awesome in the wet but not as accurate as the Metzler.

Aviator and Moto Pilot
                  BMW K1600GT / Honda Africa Twin
                  KBJC - Colorado

Onlinekeith zx

« Reply #8 on: 2018-01-08 21:42:10 »
                    this was my back tyre at around 3400 miles if i remember correctly , thing is was fine before i went out for a run150 miles later this is what i found , lucky it did not blow out , don't rate the tyres bmw fit as standard at all , had them replaede with the p4,  ok but i did find it felt a bit uneasy if you pushed hard into a corner , it felt like it was twitching !!!

OfflineEngin33r

« Reply #9 on: 2018-01-10 09:21:14 »
                      this was my back tyre at around 3400 miles if i remember correctly , thing is was fine before i went out for a run150 miles later this is what i found , lucky it did not blow out , don't rate the tyres bmw fit as standard at all , had them replaede with the p4,  ok but i did find it felt a bit uneasy if you pushed hard into a corner , it felt like it was twitching !!!

well that's the unfortunate pay off with tyres. The long lasting ones will be slightly harder so you get a little less grip at the limit, and the super grippy tyres will be soft and run out really quickly. Its trying to find the tyre with the best ratio of grip to life that's key (although it also depends on how you ride and where you ride)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2018-02-14 00:57:55 »
                        I just used up a set of Dunlops in 2500 miles.  Holy cow this bike eats tires up.  I am going back to PR4 at least I get 6-7000 miles out of the rear

anything