Author Topic: Brakes not working good  (Read 712 times)

Offlinejomer1956

• Yes is the answer
    Brakes not working good
    « on: 2017-12-06 09:29:04 »
    Hi there,got my 2011 k1600 with 12000 km,a month ago,and i notice that when i brake it appear if the abs is not working well, because stop so hard and i can hear a noise,the thing is the bmw dealer makes the revision before i bought it, but i supose they only change oil and filter.Any sugestions will be well received.Thanks a lot :-[

Live and let ride

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Brakes not working good
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-12-06 12:28:11 »
      If there is something wrong with the ABS you should get an error message on the dashboard.
      As long as there is no warning it works fine.
      The moment when the ABS kicks in also depends on the riding mode. In Rain mode it kicks in earlier and in Dynamic mode it kicks in later than normal.
      Just because you don't notice anything while braking hard doesn't mean anything.
      I have the bike for 6.5 years now and I have never noticed the ABS kicking in even when braking hard with 2-up in the rain.
      It just means that the bike is capable of much more than I am willing to try out.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2017-12-06 13:34:00 »
        I would get it checked out if you hear a noise.  Brakes are life.  My local BMW dealer would just take her for a spin and let me know if there are any concerns ALL free of charge

Offlinejomer1956

• Yes is the answer
          « Reply #3 on: 2017-12-08 11:09:29 »
          If there is something wrong with the ABS you should get an error message on the dashboard.
          As long as there is no warning it works fine.
          The moment when the ABS kicks in also depends on the riding mode. In Rain mode it kicks in earlier and in Dynamic mode it kicks in later than normal.
          Just because you don't notice anything while braking hard doesn't mean anything.
          I have the bike for 6.5 years now and I have never noticed the ABS kicking in even when braking hard with 2-up in the rain.
          It just means that the bike is capable of much more than I am willing to try out.
          Live and let ride

Offlinejomer1956

• Yes is the answer
            « Reply #4 on: 2017-12-08 11:25:51 »
            Hi there,thanks e7navy1999 and FP-NLD for your answers,i think that as many bikes i had still a newe,i think need more time to get confidence with this beautiful bike,as i set thankyou very much ;)
            Live and let ride

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2017-12-08 13:53:52 »
              Awesome jomer.  I have 53,000 miles on my 2012 now.  I seem to go through two rear tires a year and 1 front.  It is normal to get about 7-8,000 miles out of a rear.  Brakes I am on my 3rd set of rear and 2nd set of fronts.  The rear takes about 1-2 minutes to change and the fronts about 15-20 minutes.  I flush the fluids every year.  make sure you take care of the rear differential.  I flush my brakes every year during winter storage and do full synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles.  There are plenty of youtubes to show you how to do much of your own maintenance.  The K1200 has very detailed youtubes and the work is close to the same.  If you have extra cash then I am certain BMW would do it all for you.  The only real advangetage of have BMW do t all is they have access to software updates and also the ear and experience to know if there is any other problems such as a wheel bearing etc.  Good luck and if I can help with anything just write. 

OfflineEngin33r

« Reply #6 on: 2017-12-11 08:19:18 »
                Hi there,got my 2011 k1600 with 12000 km,a month ago,and i notice that when i brake it appear if the abs is not working well, because stop so hard and i can hear a noise,the thing is the bmw dealer makes the revision before i bought it, but i supose they only change oil and filter.Any sugestions will be well received.Thanks a lot :-[

Before you go attacking your ABS, check that your brake floating rivets aren't stuck. I had an issue where I had juddering under hard braking (what most would either jump to warped disk or bad ABS). Took off the wheel and disk to find that one of them was stuck and not floating like the rest. Got myself a second hand disk and problem solved. I would also note that if you have a juddering at your front end, i would advice you replace the front bearings when you find the problem as juddering like that can damage them (mine were).