Author Topic: Sudden Tire Cupping  (Read 398 times)

Offlinemarcherwy

Sudden Tire Cupping
    « on: 2018-04-25 05:20:24 »
    I have a 2012 GTL with 10K on the mileage. Used to be new Michelin Pilot3's with 4K on them.  In taking several curves several days ago the front tire started singing.  I pulled over thinking What the hell???  I have run 40 lbs. in the front from the get go.  Outside of determining that the tire is still OK to run, what caused the sudden cupping.  Looking around, the consensus is tire pressure...no... the tire itself...no... both tire and pressure...no... it's the suspension...no...it's suspension and the tire...etc, etc, etc!

any ideas out there?   Thanx!

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Sudden Tire Cupping
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-04-27 03:36:24 »
      If you have 10k mikes on the tire that is about done for.  Not certain I understand the situation but 10k on tires is amazing

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2018-04-29 21:07:36 »
        I've had cupping on one set of tires a couple of years ago. IIRC they were PR3GT's. I've had other sets of PR3GT's but only one set had cupping. No change in riding style or tire pressure. No cupping since. Still don't know what caused it. Now on my 2nd (and almost 3rd) set of PR4GT's.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #3 on: 2018-05-04 12:58:21 »
          What is meant by 'cupping'?

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinesgupta9615

« Reply #4 on: 2018-05-23 03:19:06 »
            My '15 GTL is coming up on 18000 miles, and is due for the 'big service' now, this is my second front tire (Michelins Pilot Road 4 GT's),the first one wore evenly, but this one has developed sudden cupping. I've been riding on a steady 39-40 lbs of pressure. Does anyone out there have a similar experience, any idea's if its the tire, front suspension or anything else?   

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #5 on: 2018-05-23 20:40:50 »
              had the same on one of my 1600gt have the front ball joints checked

anything