Author Topic: Front Panel Carrier Bolts Missing  (Read 781 times)

Offlinelabmwbiker

Front Panel Carrier Bolts Missing
    « on: 2018-04-30 18:28:56 »
    On returning from a recent weekend trip, I noticed the fairing on my 2012 K1600GTL bouncing a lot. When I got home, I found out that the 4 bolts holding the Front Panel Carrier were missing. It appears that in order to replace these bolts, the gas tank has to come off. Is there any "easy" way to do this or does this call for a trip to the dealership for an expensive job?

Tommy Z

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Front Panel Carrier Bolts Missing
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-04-30 21:56:44 »
      I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I see your picture.
      If 4 bolts of the front panel carrier (left or right?) are missing, something has gone wrong during manufacturing.
      There is no service item where those screws have to come loose.
      On the other hand if these would have been missing from the start you would have noticed it earlier.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinemansell1

« Reply #2 on: 2018-05-01 11:06:32 »

I have just stripped my 2016 model down to remove front and rear shock absorbers to upgrade them with Wilbers WESA units which was a huge job. Anyway, the fuel tank was removed during the process which requires removal of the painted side panels and black plastic covers similar to when you replace the air cleaner element. The tank itself has a few tubes, connectors and a quick release fuel line, you may get away with just pulling it back a little. It all depends on how competent you are with your tools.

Offlinelabmwbiker

« Reply #3 on: 2018-05-02 23:45:44 »
          I decided to tackle the project myself and was successful in replacing the bolts. The Front Panel Carrier is held to the frame by 6 bolts, 2 each on the top just under the handlebars on both left and right, 1 each on the bottom left and right. In my case, I was able to find 3 of the 4 missing bolts resting on top of the engine. I spoke to the dealer and was told that they had never seen that happen before. The bolts are torqued to 8 NM and have a thread lock applied. I have 93,000 + miles on the bike which I bought in 2012. I had to remove the gas tank to have access to the bolts. I put blue thread lock on the bolts and torqued them to 8 NM. I hope to never have that happen again!

Offlinelabmwbiker

« Reply #4 on: 2018-05-02 23:49:25 »
            I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I see your picture.
            If 4 bolts of the front panel carrier (left or right?) are missing, something has gone wrong during manufacturing.
            There is no service item where those screws have to come loose.
            On the other hand if these would have been missing from the start you would have noticed it earlier.

They must have come loose on my return from a camping trip in MS. I did ride on a few very rough roads and it wasn't til my return ride that I noticed more movement of the front panel (windshield, housing, etc.) About 25 miles from home I crossed a railroad track and the whole fairing bounced quite a bit.

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
              « Reply #5 on: 2018-05-07 17:58:15 »
              They must have come loose on my return from a camping trip in MS. I did ride on a few very rough roads and it wasn't til my return ride that I noticed more movement of the front panel (windshield, housing, etc.) About 25 miles from home I crossed a railroad track and the whole fairing bounced quite a bit.

Hi, I still don’t understand where you can find these bolts. Next winter I need to adjust the valves and that would be a good opportunity to check these bolts. Please provide more fotos. Thanks

Jos

Offlinelabmwbiker

« Reply #6 on: 2018-05-08 02:48:02 »
                I don't have a good picture of the location. They are located under the below the handle bars under the tupperware. Sorry. I'll take a pic when I can and post it.

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #7 on: 2018-05-08 20:07:17 »
                  over the time I would think the carrier has been removed
                  maybe from the pre owner or a warrantee job but looking at your photo it been loose for some time

anything