Author Topic: Total Brake Failure  (Read 135 times)

Offlinealex maddern

Total Brake Failure
    « on: 2018-06-13 11:20:27 »
    Hi,I am just wondering if anybody else has suffered the same problem as I have. A quiet ride to Aberystwyth across the foothills of the Cambrian mountains from our home, I braked for a corner only to have the lever come straight back to the handlebars and suffer total loss of brakes, second pull on the lever the brakes returned. This happened several times before getting back home, including one incident when the cruise control stayed on.Just looking for the reason for the total brake failure, I guess that there is some intermittent fault with the ABS system causing the problem, I have not had any fault lights appear or any other warning signs, e.g. spongy brakes or fluid loss, I also suffered the same problem when stopped, no amount of pumping on the lever would get the brakes back, switched off then on again, all started working again and not had a repeat failure since, including braking to activate the ABS system.There was no accidents, nor was anybody hurt,thanks.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Total Brake Failure
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-06-13 20:23:47 »
      Fortunately I've never suffered from this. Nor have I even heard anything like this the last 7 years.
      You'd better check with your dealer who did the last service and have him read out the board computer for any faults.

BTW: welcome to the forum
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #2 on: 2018-06-13 22:45:47 »
        you did not say if the rear brake was sill working
        I suspect it a sticking master cly
        as for the cruise control staying on if you are not using the rear or puling in the clutch lever  it will not disengage

Offlinealex maddern

« Reply #3 on: 2018-06-14 09:58:41 »
          the brakes failed once when i was stopped, i could push the bike around with the lever pulled back to the handlebars, so i am guessing that the rear brake was not working, i did try the rear brake when the brakes had failed and it was working independently (so i could carry on home in some safety). the only way this time i got the brakes back was to turn the bike off and back on, which i guess reset the system as i have had no problems afterwards. the cruise control should disengage when the brakes are applied.

OnlineEngin33r

« Reply #4 on: 2018-06-14 15:48:06 »
            you did not say if the rear brake was sill working
            I suspect it a sticking master cly
            as for the cruise control staying on if you are not using the rear or puling in the clutch lever  it will not disengage

The fact that turning the bike off and on again temporarily fixed the problem shows that it should be an electrical fault and not a mechanical one? If it was a stuck master cylinder then surely it would have still been stuck after turning the bike back on?

My guess, from what it sounds like, is that the ABS or sensor is getting tripped and locking the brake in the open position? I'm no brake master so that is just a guess from the provided evidence