Author Topic: Denali D4 2.0 versus Clearwater  (Read 440 times)

Offlinedavidwoolf

Denali D4 2.0 versus Clearwater
    « on: 2018-07-08 17:48:53 »
    Hi guys - has anyone out there installed a set of the new Denali D4 2.0 lights on their bikes ?

I wondered what the quality was like and if they are "wow" powerful or not ?

I also wondered if anyone had had the luxury of comparing them to the Clearwater Krista or Erica ?

I am specifically asking in the context of using them to supply light for night riding

Regards

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OfflineBacalao

Re: Denali D4 2.0 versus Clearwater
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-07-10 17:25:09 »
      Hi, I recently installed a set of Denali D4.2 lights on my K1600GT, powered via a Hexezcan canbus connector.

As far as quality goes I would definitely give them 100% marks, they are very solidly made out of quality materials. I used Denali engine bar mounts to fit them. My only criticism of the mounts is that the clamp screws dont have lock washers, which I find odd so you have to use thread lock fluid, I also used rubber amalgamation tape around the engine bars to prevent the clamps scratching the bars and increase grip.

The D4.20s are also extremely bright and illuminate the road ahead for a good distance. As yet I have still got to set them up correctly so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers, they will do so even in bright sunlight!!. So mine are currently directed downwards until I can get the tine and a darker night to set them correctly.

As I have never used Clearwater I cant compare them, but I will definitely buy Denali again.

Siempre en la mierda, sólo la profundidad que varía.

Offlinedavidwoolf

« Reply #2 on: 2018-07-10 17:40:37 »
        Hi, I recently installed a set of Denali D4.2 lights on my K1600GT, powered via a Hexezcan canbus connector.

As far as quality goes I would definitely give them 100% marks, they are very solidly made out of quality materials. I used Denali engine bar mounts to fit them. My only criticism of the mounts is that the clamp screws dont have lock washers, which I find odd so you have to use thread lock fluid, I also used rubber amalgamation tape around the engine bars to prevent the clamps scratching the bars and increase grip.

The D4.20s are also extremely bright and illuminate the road ahead for a good distance. As yet I have still got to set them up correctly so as not to dazzle oncoming drivers, they will do so even in bright sunlight!!. So mine are currently directed downwards until I can get the tine and a darker night to set them correctly.

As I have never used Clearwater I cant compare them, but I will definitely buy Denali again.

Thank you so much Bacalao!! If you have a GT then you already have very bright lights . Are these much brighter than the GT headlights ?

Regards

Dave

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #3 on: 2018-07-10 17:51:55 »
          In my opinion yes they are, very much brighter. Though as I have yet to set them up correctly I cannot say how much further down the road they will illuminate. However on the one dark night so far that I have used them bearing in mind that they are purposely pointing downwards a little they lit the road immediately ahead like daylight.

Offlinedavidwoolf

« Reply #4 on: 2018-07-10 17:57:12 »
            In my opinion yes they are, very much brighter. Though as I have yet to set them up correctly I cannot say how much further down the road they will illuminate. However on the one dark night so far that I have used them bearing in mind that they are purposely pointing downwards a little they lit the road immediately ahead like daylight.

Perfect thank you so much for the feedback !!

By the way I researched their LED chips .. they use the Cree XP L High intensity chips which are relatively new 2015 technology and show a lumen output of about 100 lumens per watt . The cheap led chips put out only about 50 to 70 lumens per watt

I asked the guys at Clearwater and I think they use the same led or very similar also from Cree.

Please see attached the data for the chip and a comparison chart I found

Regards

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #5 on: 2018-07-10 18:03:43 »
              I also fitted the Denali Soundbomb horn, which also works via the Hexezcan and what a difference! The OEM horn is pathetic in comparison, definitely worth considering installing if you are going to all the trouble of taking plastic off the bike to install lights.

Offlinedavidwoolf

« Reply #6 on: 2018-07-10 18:07:03 »
                I also fitted the Denali Soundbomb horn, which also works via the Hexezcan and what a difference! The OEM horn is pathetic in comparison, definitely worth considering installing if you are going to all the trouble of taking plastic off the bike to install lights.
                Hello yes I ordered the compact Denali
                Sound bomb - the cagers here don’t look so I like to remind them that I am also using the road .. is it VERY loud ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #7 on: 2018-07-10 18:08:08 »
                  Ooohhh Yes!!!