Author Topic: Maybe getting back into biking and have a few questions about the K1600GTL?  (Read 348 times)

Offlinesnerkler

Hi,

I had to give up biking 6 years ago but am looking to get into riding again  ;D

I previously had a 2010 R1200GS Adventure and whilst I'd love another the wide bars (which for me puts more stress on the arms) and wind buffeting (I'm 6'4" and still got buffeting even with the touratech screen extender) are things I can't endure these days as have been suffering with fibromyalgia over the past few years, therefore I've been considering other options that put less stress on my body. Also my wife (completely out fo the blue) expressed an interest in riding pillion and as she's only 5'2" she would struggle to climb onto the GSA ;)

I thought I was all set on the R1200RT (although I haven't ridden one yet) but my head has been turned by the K1600GTL. Obviously I need to test ride both to know for myself, but due to circumstances this is unlikely to happen for several weeks so in the meantime I've been doing a bit of research, which has led me to a few queries about the K1600GTL. Firstly I've seen that the screen causes back pressure pushing the back or your neck forward. Does this happen for the majority of people, or the minority. How bad is it, bearing in mind my condition? I would have the extra high seat fitted, is this likely to make the back pressure worse? Can a different screen fix it, and is this pretty much guaranteed to fix it?

If I have the high seat fitted does this raise the pillion too, and is a pillion at 5'2" likely to able to see over a rider at 6'4"?

I've read that the K1600 is slow to turn in the twisties compared to 'smaller' bikes. Bearing in mind I had the GSA before which wasn't quite as heavy, but the weight was higher up am I likely to notice this, or is it pretty comparable to the GSA in this regard? Obviously the GSA wasn't as agile as a little sports bike, but I preferred the slightly slower turn in (although still surprisingly good) and feeling of stability in the corners.

Lastly, I've been trying to find out at what years there have been 'facelifts' and exactly what the changes have been but it's. bit unclear. I'm aware of the latest changes for 2017/18 such as the fairing, ability to add reverse and a few other bits and bobs, but what other years have there been changes?

Sorry for all the questions, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers, Toby

Offlinesteve.med

hi and welcome back if you have a back problem may i suggest the gt and not a gt Le
      the bars are not so  far back  and the foot pegs are in a different  position
      and the the up grade was from 2017 on
      the screen i use is a  v screen stops the wind pushing you back
      i have just done 1700 miles in 4 days it works for me i now on my 6th k1600gt

Offlinesnerkler

hi and welcome back if you have a back problem may i suggest the gt and not a gt Le
        the bars are not so  far back  and the foot pegs are in a different  position
        and the the up grade was from 2017 on
        the screen i use is a  v screen stops the wind pushing you back
        i have just done 1700 miles in 4 days it works for me i now on my 6th k1600gt
        Thanks for the reply, that’s surprising as I assumed the GTL would be comfier than the GT. I assume the GTL top box and arm rests can be added to the GT?

I don’t have a back issue per se, fibromyalgia is a condition in which you get body wide muscle and tendon pain, and your muscles fatigue very easily hence the need to reduce any stress such as head buffeting and strain on the arms. With the GT bars being further forward would you say this puts more or less stress on the arms and shoulders? ‘Your’ initial thought is with the bars being more forward it means more stress on the arms due to a forward lean angle, but I know that in the real world that’s not always the case and the ‘triangle’ or whatever it is is more important.

Neck, shoulders and arms are by far my biggest concern as they fatigue the most.

Offlinesteve.med

i would try both if you can as you are tall and the seat is in 2 parts on a gt as the gtle is in one
          and its a lot better to control at low speed
          and you can not use a tank bag on the gtl the bars get in the way
          but can on the gt
          on a note i suffer with arthritis a lot gt for me ??

Offlinesnerkler

i would try both if you can as you are tall and the seat is in 2 parts on a gt as the gtle is in one
            and its a lot better to control at low speed
            and you can not use a tank bag on the gtl the bars get in the way
            but can on the gt
            on a note i suffer with arthritis a lot gt  for me ??
            Thanks again, appreciate the input and glad you brought to my attention the different riding positions.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              As said: try them both.Technically the bikes are (almost) the same but the ergonomics are different.I tried them both and decided for the GT, which suited me better.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinesnerkler

As said: try them both.Technically the bikes are (almost) the same but the ergonomics are different.I tried them both and decided for the GT, which suited me better.
                Will do, hopefully I’ll be able to test the RT, GT and GTL back to back. Not sure what test bikes they have in though tbh (nearest place is Alan Jeffries which used to be Rainbow)

OfflineDurango02

Can't speak on the gt but have a gtl. I'm 6'3" and wife is 5'4" and she still sees the big black beachball helmet in front of her. Had a bit of dirty air hitting her but corrected that with the VTeck windscreen. Love the bike and find for me it handles excellent at both low and high speeds.....try them both to make an informed decision.  Btw tired out a Grand America but was not impressed.

Offlinesnerkler

Can't speak on the gt but have a gtl. I'm 6'3" and wife is 5'4" and she still sees the big black beachball helmet in front of her. Had a bit of dirty air hitting her but corrected that with the VTeck windscreen. Love the bike and find for me it handles excellent at both low and high speeds.....try them both to make an informed decision.  Btw tired out a Grand America but was not impressed.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll have to get my wife a booster seat  ;)  I'll have a look at the different screens. I sat on the K1600B in the showroom but it just didn't feel right, didn't find the bars as comfortable position as the RT, but I don't know if it was the bar position per se, or the whole seating position.

OfflineBasswoodGT

I am only 6 ft and Have a GT,I like the seat in the low position which stops wind buffeting. But as the pegs become to close to the seat I fitted a set of foot peg lowing extenders from Pirate Liar and the bike fit great, no stress on the body. So what I'm trying to say is you have many options to customizing the fit of the bike to you.  Take care Mike

Offlinesnerkler

I am only 6 ft and Have a GT,I like the seat in the low position which stops wind buffeting. But as the pegs become to close to the seat I fitted a set of foot peg lowing extenders from Pirate Liar and the bike fit great, no stress on the body. So what I'm trying to say is you have many options to customizing the fit of the bike to you.  Take care Mike
                        Very true, thanks I'll bear that in mind  :)

Offlinegradyfields

I've had my 2013 GTL since Mar 2013. It was my first bike after a 30 year hiatus (kids, yada yada yada). I wasn't sure what kind of riding I would be doing, so I tried to cover touring w/ reasonable performance. I'm 6'1" and can adjust the screen to minimize face blast and rear vacum. I puttered on my own for about 5K mi, then fell in w/ a great, mostly social, but somewhat zippy riding group to get me through the first 15-20K miles spending lots of time on the Santa Cruz mountains (Highways 9, 35, 84, goat roads, w/ occasional jaunts down CA-1 to LA, etc.). After a year I had clocked 24K mi on the GTL and wanted something more nimble for the SC mountains, so bought a 2014 S1000R in 2014 and put 30K mi on that in the last 4 years. For my 55th BD I treated myself to a 2015 Multistrada, 25 K mi on that now. With the other two bikes, the GTL got less and less riding time. Didn't ride it for nearly a year. Took it out last weekend before last with my A-group riding buddies and my mentor couldn't really get away from me on a his 2017 Honda Fireblade/superbike anywhere in the SC mountains. I doubt I could match him for some segments of CA-25 or on a track, but just about anywhere else, 160 HP and 130 ft/lb of torque makes the GTL a match for most anything on two wheels. We were talking after the ride and we both agreed, the big girl can dance.