Author Topic: STARTER CLUTCH !  (Read 2982 times)

OfflineShinyface

• Enjoy retirement because it will last a while.....
    STARTER CLUTCH !
    « on: 2013-02-07 17:24:16 »
    Has anyone had a problem with non starting on the button ? The button clicks but no noise other than a spinning sensation.. ??? ...........Bike in dealers for service,new tyres and further checks into the " backlash " . :(
    They have been told to change the starter clutch and are awaiting parts.
    Good service as ever from Motorrad Edinburgh.
    Shinyface  :)

OfflineNorseman_K16GT

Re: STARTER CLUTCH !
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-02-08 00:27:32 »
      Has anyone had a problem with non starting on the button ? The button clicks but no noise other than a spinning sensation.. ??? ...........Bike in dealers for service,new tyres and further checks into the " backlash " . :(
      They have been told to change the starter clutch and are awaiting parts.
      Good service as ever from Motorrad Edinburgh.
      Shinyface  :)

Read about it, and it will be fixed under warranty. Really pita if happens during a trip. Please keep informed on the backlash. Hope to read that they'll change your clutchbasket :)

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-16 00:10:48 »
        Not on my bike but know someone else who has had a similar starter clutch problem. It was "fixed" but happened again so prompted a replacement bike to be ordered.
        how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinewoodcote

« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-01 08:03:27 »
          I too have just started getting this intermittent fault.

As described a spinning whirring sensation from the starter but no actual engagement with the engine. Bikes in for 12 month service today.

It's only a baby really  - 2500 miles.

Quite a worry really, especially as its intermittent. You can practically hear them saying now "We've looked but everything seems fine to us".

Heres hoping Williams @ Manchester surprise me . . . in a good way

OfflineDavidTelf

« Reply #4 on: 2013-12-08 09:53:16 »
            I have had this problem as well. Reported to BMW and as it was an intermintent problem they didn't believe me. I took a video of it happening and they identified it as the sprag clutch. Parts arrived 6 weeks latter and fitted by BMW.
            On collection of bike it now has no audio, I suspect they have not reconnected wires and starter is much worse than it was before. I live 300km from closest dealer Motoadelaide, where the bike has now been twice for warranty work. Both times unsuccsesfull   It has been to BMW main dealer 500km away 3 times and will have to go back again. Bike had a bad vibration under acceleration at 13,000 km and a loose bolt was found in rear suspension. Problem fixed. New motor fitted at same time due to 3 cracked pistons. After about another 1000km vibration is back and they are saying its normal. has had both tyres replaced. is not so much speed related but RPM  and under load or on backing off throttle. [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQIyAm5y7k[/size]  [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDpj0LrVuM[/size]   I paid $38,000 for bike, off the road for over 4 months out of 16 and they offer buyback of $25.000
            :-)

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-12-08 11:16:18 »
              Sorry to hear that. How much misfortune can you get? It's the first time I've heard about cracked pistons and three at the same time  :o .
              Added problem is the distance to your dealer. In a small country like The Netherlands a dealer is never far away. I live within 30 kms of three dealers; one to the northeast, one to the northwest and one to the southeast.
              If the dealer does not serve you well, maybe BMW Australia should step in; or even BMW Germany. This not exactly good promotion for the brand.
              Hope that in the end everything works out so you can enjoy the bike again. That's what it's made for.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-25 17:35:52 »
                My bike (K1600GT) has just been in the dealers for some paint missing of the cylinder block. When they got the fairings off they found more paint missing off the block. Long story short engine stripped down and rebuilt using new short block and cylinder head. Before this work the bike was running and behaving perfectly. On collecting from dealer the rear indicators would not work and the screen adjustment iffy, then the starter problem occurred, starter motor spinning but not engaging the engine.

Bike back at the dealers, probably new starter motor needed and they reckon it could be software issue with the screen and indicators (oh screen had stopped working completely and the rear indicators were OK when bike returned to dealers)

I would have been happy to have the paint touched up instead of a complete rebuild, the cost must be phenominal, but thankfully under warranty.
                1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #7 on: 2014-03-25 17:42:57 »
                  Mine's been fine since the short engine replacement for same reason. 
                  I understand it is £3700 + VAT plus labour (about 5 days)

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineTony23

« Reply #8 on: 2014-03-25 20:12:52 »
                    5 days to replace an engine :o:o  Must have been using the aprentice.

Offlineterry

« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-26 18:47:01 »
                      Sorry to hear that. How much misfortune can you get? It's the first time I've heard about cracked pistons and three at the same time  :o .
                      Added problem is the distance to your dealer. In a small country like The Netherlands a dealer is never far away. I live within 30 kms of three dealers; one to the northeast, one to the northwest and one to the southeast.
                      If the dealer does not serve you well, maybe BMW Australia should step in; or even BMW Germany. This not exactly good promotion for the brand.
                      Hope that in the end everything works out so you can enjoy the bike again. That's what it's made for.

If you havn't heard of cracked pistons before, take a look at the pics I posted from my 3 pistons, Reagrds, Shropshire lad
                      Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

Offlinehoffmandrew

« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-12 23:49:30 »
                        Had the same problem with starter motor spinning, sometimes after third press you would hear a click and then it would work on fourth press
                        other times you would have to put the bike in gear and rock the bike, then it would start. brought the bike in last month a week before
                        manufacture warranty runs out (also got extended warranty now). They could not reproduce the problem as it was random, but from the info
                        I gave them, they were sure it was the sprag clutch, it was replaced, a week after getting the bike back it has failed 5 times, Bike back
                        in and they reproduced the problem once. They have logged a technical report with BMW Germany and are awaiting feedback. They checked the
                        sprag clutch they put in last week (only 600Km and about 15 starts) with the one they took out previously (with 50,000Km with over 1,000 starts)
                        and couldn't see any wear difference. I'm back on a loaner bike and will probably have to wait a week for outcome.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-13 22:46:08 »
                          Knock on wood My GLT has been running flawlessly.  I do notice the rearend backlash at low speeds and from nutural to 1st but otherwise BMW said that sound is typical for the GLT.  I wish BMW would put the K1600 engine into my old K1200 frame! 

anything